Raiders : IDOL picture thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent5

Freaked Out
Reaction score
A friend of mine got his yesterday and here are his pics. Just as crappy and half-ass a job as I expected, but the base is incredible. I will give them that!

Here is his short review.
This is brief as I am running out the door. I will write more later.
Not accurate. They didn't fix the mouth, nipples, feet or baby's face.
Nice weight to it and it's cold to the touch like gold should be.
Very clean looking, loss of a lot of detail.
99% of buyers will be satisfied with it.
This idol is about on par with a Magnoli or MK though they have better mouths on them and are a bit more accurate but more pricey too.

These are unfortunately not numbered either, just the base. That kinda sucks.

100_0011.jpg

100_0021.jpg

100_0020.jpg

Here is the Sideshow idol next to an idol which was cast from one made for the production so you can see just how terrible Sideshow did. Again, I realize that the entire problem my rest with LFL licensing but either way, the ball was really dropped on this one...again.

Sideshow on the left, Gobler on the right.
100_0019.jpg

100_0016.jpg

100_0017.jpg

100_0022.jpg

Finally, here is a pic of what Sideshow should have given us.
100_0012.jpg

Anyone want to sell me their pedastal/base without the Idol please contact me.

No offence to Sideshow but it looks like the typical $50 ebay idol with a really nice paint/finish. Also looks more brass then crisp gold. Just nothing that hasn't been available already. Oddly enough, one of the action figures got the idol shape right, I think it was the gentle giant Disney park Indy.

:lol I like how this thread was made to crap on this piece. Nice. I know you guys have keen eyes for something that has had many versions and iterations over the last two decades but to me it looks nice. Classy even. I am glad I kept my order even though it's "a 50 dollar eBay" turd.

I echo Deckard on this, I'd love to get the base, but not sure about the idol.

Thanks for the pics agent5. Nice comparisons with the Gobler idol. I'd love to get one of those somehow! :rock

As for the SS one, it looks nice for what it is, but it isn't the screen accurate idol. If I can't track down the base on it's own somehow, I may just have to grab one of these off of the 'Bay in 6 months time at a discount. :angelsmil

I like how this thread was made to crap on this piece.

It is what it is, man. You can't take that away from it.

I'm more of the opinion lately that it just HAS to be LFL Licensing that is giving too much imput when they should just let the companies that do this just do what they do. I just can't see Sideshow making this many crazy errors on so many pieces. One of the things that bolsters this thoery is that many of the prototype 1:6 figures looked spot on but after approval had been met by LFL the changes were evident. Why LFL chooses to do this is just beyond me.

I do love the plating on the Sideshow idol. It looks pretty consistant and has a nice real lush gold hue to it. The base is absolutely stunning. I love everthing about it. I just can't post about this idol and say anything else good about it. There is no way to candy coat just how badly they did.

Yes, it will make many people happy who've been waiting years for a licensed idol to make it's appearance even if the same exact fan made version (and in some cases, better) has been available for over a decade. To some having the licensed item is all that matters even if its not what is seen in the film, or at best, is a loose interpretation of it. Everyone has different levels of wants and needs and if this fills the wants and needs of many of the fans then I'm actually happy about that.

:lol I like how this thread was made to crap on this piece. Nice. I know you guys have keen eyes for something that has had many versions and iterations over the last two decades but to me it looks nice. Classy even. I am glad I kept my order even though it's "a 50 dollar eBay" turd.

What other inaccuracies could there be to the idol aside from it's features and material? :duh

It could be a bank like the Diamond thing. But then it'd be a bank and not a prop replica...

It is what it is, man. You can't take that away from it.

I'm more of the opinion lately that it just HAS to be LFL Licensing that is giving too much imput when they should just let the companies that do this just do what they do. I just can't see Sideshow making this many crazy errors on so many pieces. One of the things that bolsters this thoery is that many of the prototype 1:6 figures looked spot on but after approval had been met by LFL the changes were evident. Why LFL chooses to do this is just beyond me.

I do love the plating on the Sideshow idol. It looks pretty consistant and has a nice real lush gold hue to it. The base is absolutely stunning. I love everthing about it. I just can't post about this idol and say anything else good about it. There is no way to candy coat just how badly they did.

Yes, it will make many people happy who've been waiting years for a licensed idol to make it's appearance even if the same exact fan made version (and in some cases, better) has been available for over a decade. To some having the licensed item is all that matters even if its not what is seen in the film, or at best, is a loose interpretation of it. Everyone has different levels of wants and needs and if this fills the wants and needs of many of the fans then I'm actually happy about that.

Well said and don't think I was knocking you guys, I just thought it was funny. I don't mind varying opinions. Also I do appreciate the fact that you posted pics. :wave

What other inaccuracies could there be to the idol aside from it's features and material? :duh

It could be a bank like the Diamond thing. But then it'd be a bank and not a prop replica...

I think this piece is too subjective, there are too many versions of this idol to have a be all end all version.

I think this piece is too subjective, there are too many versions of this idol to have a be all end all version.

I have to disagree with that only because I've seen comparrison pics of the idols in the archives next to a Gobler idol in the same position and they are identical, right down to the weak spots in the plating. This, of course, is because the Gobler was cast from an original so they should be identical.

It is true the Gobler costs much more than the Sideshow which also has that amazing base, so for the money the Sideshow really is a good value, based on what is currently out there in the markets. The Sideshow idol does look really good until you begin to compare it to an original. And as pointed out and is already known, some people aren't as picky as I am when it comes to the details so overall to the casual fan this is a home run.

Inaccuracies aside, without question you know exactly what it is when you see it and overall it is a great deal for the casual fan or uber fan who must have one. I'm in the latter category and will have one eventually. Money is tight and since I'm such a stickler for accuracy this one will have to wait a little longer.

I wonder if we'll ever see another company take a stab at this piece somewhere down the line?

Well, when you put them side by side it's hard to argue that the Sideshow version is not accurate. However, I am taking it at your word that the Gobler idol is the closest to screen reproduction. Because as someone who has seen Raiders more times than I can possibly count in the last 29 years and as someone who considers this movie to be one of my all time favourites (certainly top 3), I wouldn't be able to tell which one is the more accurate one without doing some research.

To me they are both great representations of the idol and I'll be very happy with Sideshow's version (if I can get my act together and save up!).

Wow. Not even close. I'd kill for a Gobler. This is like a cheap Hasbro knock-off. Don't like the brass finish. The base looks fantastic though.

PDVD_021.jpg

Last edited:
Aside from the obvious mouth, the shape of the head is too fat and stretched, the length of the hair in the back is too short, and the baby looks like Kuato.

kuato-blog.jpg

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, I think that is a bit extreme. Although the thought of a gold plated Kuato is enticing.

Inaccuracies aside, without question you know exactly what it is when you see it and overall it is a great deal for the casual fan or uber fan who must have one.

Good way of putting it. I'm personally an uber fan of the films, but not necessarily an uber collector, so I'll be fine with Sideshow's interpretation. It's not like it's poorly put together or anything. It's a very well made, quality piece that I think will show great.

Finally, here is a pic of what Sideshow should have given us.
100_0012.jpg

Frankly, these two don't look exactly the same, based on the screenshot. If you had the Gobler on display with that screenshot, you would think the Gobler is way off. Just goes to show how lighting, angle, etc can affect a person's impression. I don't doubt you guys are correct about which one is the most accurate, but I don't think most people will be able to point out the mistakes without seeing the actual prop side by side like agent 5 showed.

I dunno, maybe not accurate but looks like a fun piece anyway.

For those that have/get it would you tell us how the finish came out?
That's my real concern.

I dunno, maybe not accurate but looks like a fun piece anyway.

For those that have/get it would you tell us how the finish came out?
That's my real concern.

The finish actually looks pretty decent in the pics so far. I knew the sculpt would be inaccurate, so it's the paint and finish that's my main concern as well.

Frankly, these two don't look exactly the same, based on the screenshot. If you had the Gobler on display with that screenshot, you would think the Gobler is way off. Just goes to show how lighting, angle, etc can affect a person's impression. I don't doubt you guys are correct about which one is the most accurate, but I don't think most people will be able to point out the mistakes without seeing the actual prop side by side like agent 5 showed.

The idol in that shot is the glass-eyes version. For those that have the Gobler, was it cast from the stunt prop or the hero prop?

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-fertility-idol-publicity-still-01.jpg

prop-store-collection-raiders-fertility-idol-01.jpg

Last edited:
The gold finish looks great. I agree that the proportions are not quite accurate, but it is not a deal breaker.

If I had the money, I would still get it.

it seems to be stuck in the middle between the hero idol and the spraypainted one in the Lucas archive book.as i understand,both are original LF props but they are clearly different.

looks like sideshow was going for the book version,although that one was not plated.i think if they were going for the book version they could have got the details closer.as pointed out already,some detail is missing.nice plating and base though.
IMG_4366.jpg

Back