Hot Toys The ALIEN Big Chap... Wooksters review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
We all know how divided this figure has made people!
However there are a lot more hits than misses, making it on the whole another winner, for me at least!

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_012910c.htm

Youcan find all the usual features over on Captain Toy as always here-
https://www.mwctoys.com/

withdallas2copy.jpg

naturallightpose9.jpg

naturallightpose7.jpg

naturallightpose1.jpg

withdallas5.jpg

withdallas6.jpg

alienshelf2.jpg

jonsey2copy.jpg

dio1.jpg

AvPcomp.jpg

Last edited:
I can't say I'm surprised that the review is positive, and I'm glad that you are enjoying the figure. But I take slight (and I mean very slight) exception to the accusation of pedantry against anyone who doesn't like the figure. I've said before, I don't actually care about the details, it's the overall vibe of the Alien that doesn't come across in this figure, particularly in the face on aspect, and that's why I don't like it.

It can have 5 fingers and no jaw bone on its heels for all I care - it just has to vaguely evoke what I saw on screen. It doesn't matter how long I've stared at even the best photos of the HT Alien, willing myself to like it, with that huge chin and sunken cheeks it still reminds me more of Godzilla.

I still really, really enjoy your reviews, so please don't take any of this the wrong way. I would love to see you review the Revoltech Alien when it comes out, if that has enough interest for you.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get hold of the Revoltech version, it does look a bit special, but my first love is always 1/6th.

And I don't take offence at all, I do respect those for whom the details 'just don't work', I know that when you are really looking forward to something, and you feel it doesn't measure up... well, it can get a tad annoying, the SS- SOTD figures still make me feel sad inside...(shudders).

Again though, it's not the details. I really want to be clear on that.

When I first saw the shots of the Alien, I instinctively thought "Ooh, that's not right!". It was a general impression. Of course, then you start to wonder why, and then we all started discussing the details, like the inner mouth, the non-chromed teeth, etc, etc. But those aren't important if the overall appearance and proportions are right. And that's where this Alien falls down for me.

I mean, if I cared about details, then this little fella wouldn't be one of my favourite Alien collectibles:

AlienKubrick.jpg

But you know, it just has the right Alien vibe to it! It's impressionistic, and deliberately cute, but they still nailed making it evoke the Alien we saw on screen (seen here advancing on an out-of-shot mini-Lambert).

Of course, all of the above is entirely subjective, which is why I totally respect your views on it.

Mine arrived today, now posed on a very cramped shelf (note to self need more shelves). Awesome figure, love it regardless of innacuracies. Reading review last night was perfect teaser for when it arrived. Great review and great figure imo

Awesome review as always Wookster, I do agree a bit about your stance on the teeth. Once I painted mine it was a huge difference and I felt fixed some of the mouth issues.

Cool review. Judicious yet forthright.

One thing that struck me about the review was reading the introduction, the intrinsic value this figure must have and represent to you.

Excellent review Jeff, 3 times a week I enjoy seeing reviews by Michael and yourself. Your reviews are informative and I love all the reference material you give us with sweet production shots. There have been many times I have been on the fence about a figure and after reading your review it helped me decide. I have the HT Alien and I love it. I was surprised that your review came so late, you always get your figures before us in the states and it is nice to see the figure out of the package, posed and displayed, but not this time, why? The freaks and I are just happy that you take the time to snap pics and type up kick ass reviews for us fanboys, cheers.

Excellent review Jeff, 3 times a week I enjoy seeing reviews by Michael and yourself. Your reviews are informative and I love all the reference material you give us with sweet production shots. There have been many times I have been on the fence about a figure and after reading your review it helped me decide. I have the HT Alien and I love it. I was surprised that your review came so late, you always get your figures before us in the states and it is nice to see the figure out of the package, posed and displayed, but not this time, why? The freaks and I are just happy that you take the time to snap pics and type up kick ass reviews for us fanboys, cheers.

You're too kind, but like you I read Mikes reviews for years, it was his passion for all things 'collectible' that first made me think... hey, I could have a go at this.
As far as being ahead of the crowd, well lots of factors come into play. I'm lucky enough to get most of my stuff direct from Hong Kong, but I wait till their is a shipment big enough which means sometimes a figure is later than another. Plus the physical time it takes me to write (I'm dyslexic which don't help much). I try to write, take photos and edit them by the rate of at least one review a week. Then I'm also in the hands of when Mike can actually put my stuff together into the form he needs it to put on his site. Plus at this time of year I have a fortnight over Christmas where I'm pretty tied up with the festivities and my youngest daughters birthday... not to mention the day job.
So, as I always say, my admiration for Mr Crawford managing his lot is boundless.

That said It's always great to hear people are enjoying all the hard work, Cheers!

Didn't buy this one. Too generic for me. If done to the standards of the obsessives it would have been a guaranteed absolutely could not miss purchase. The Aliens are definitely not HT best work.

Great review Wook, and thanks for the link.
The 3.75 score does seems a bit high imo though.

Cheers guys, I knew many people would take issue with the final score, but in a very close parallel universe I'd have given him full marks.

The more I look at this, the more I really like the body sculpt.

I'm even happy with the limited articulation in the legs vs. the uniform body.

Once they fixed the hands I was happy with the body/limbs/tail sculpting - very straight-up man-in-suit as it should be - I wasn't too bothered about too much or too little ribbing and other more specific details. Still I can't get past the face. For me they had to get that right and it looks like they didn't even try.

Life story AND a review of the A L I E N. LOL!

My only minor issue with the review was the remark:

"While the hardcore Xenophiles will be scratching their heads wondering how I can even bear to look at it.".

It should read "While some hardcore Xenophiles will be scratching their heads wondering how I can even bear to look at it".

I've been a hardcore Xenophile since my early teens, and I think it's the bees knees!

It's something uniquely different for the collection

Trust me, there are many other uber hardcore A L I E N fans that think it's an absolutely awesome piece.

It's a must have!

Strangely enough, now that I have it I dislike the overall body sculpt more than the face itself.
It just looks fat. The hips, the legs, the neck... ugh. It only looks good from the side.

Back