What to buy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skytteflickan88

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm going to buy the book trilogy soon, it's been ages since I read them. But I'd thought I'd ask how many different editions there were, and what you guys recommend. Any extra material, special bindings I should know about when choosing, or will any books do?

I think I'll go with the leather binding. I usually don't buy books to show off, but I think these would be nice to look at in my bookshelf. I just hope I don't lose them, I imagine shipping to Sweden won't be the lowest.

-EDIT Nevermind, I found them for less than 50 bucks, including shipping, in Swedish online stores. Yay me.

Personally, I went with this one:
my-red_book.jpg

but I guess that basic 'leather binding' one would do.

HAS to be Alan Lee's illustrated edition surely!! You can even get them in small individual paperback volumes now so it's not so bulky.

the leather versions are overrated. if you want a nice display piece get the leather one but if you read it the spine will pretty much start to crease when you get to the middle of the book just from the weight. just get a nice 3 book set. it's the same words on the pages in any version. i got the leather version but i only read my little paperbacks cuz the giant leather version is so ackward.

The red version, what is it called? And is it three books, or three-in-one?

Seems like I need to reconsider the leather one(specially since the versikn i found taht thought was so cheap was the non-leather 50th anniversary edition). I first thought it was three books, not one.

So no extras? Because a 50th(not the leather) edition says there's "Includes revised and reset text and special features unique to this edition." It also says "To celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings this definitive, corrected version of the text was published".

So how many different versions of the text is out there?

Last edited:
Pretty rare. Very expensive. No stores.

I'm currently gathering payments for mine. And if you can buy that thing without making payments.. well.. you are better off than I am! :)

Pretty rare. Very expensive. No stores.

yup, basically.

I did in fact pay in full and then waited around 2 months to get it.
It does take Indy a bit of time to make each one and depends on what else he's doing at the time.

Send him an email if your really interested, but keep in mind, the Red Book makes the $50 leather edition, more like a $5 second hand paperback.

Personally, I went with this one:
my-red_book.jpg

but I guess that basic 'leather binding' one would do.
I love that picture, this book is gorgeous :drool
x
Me three :rock :rock
x
Sounds neat, I'll have to buy that too.

Is it rare and hard to get? Or do I just need to find the right store?
It's both rare and hard to get at $495 a copy but oh so worth it :rock
It's a great addition to any book collection. I have several variations/copies of the books but this one has a display of it's own!
x :wave

Well, I planned on reading the book, so 495$ is way too much. Nice collectible, but I'd rather spend that money on other things.

I saw a few Red Book of Westmarch on ebay, the cheapest for 100USD. Are there cheaper versions of the book?

Yeah, there are more Red Book's such as this one on eBay:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boxed-LORD-O...tZAntiquarian_Collectible?hash=item19b8a08ef9

So they are much cheaper as they are bulk productions of the actual book.

The collectable one that we are referring to is an exact replica of Bilbo's Red Book. It's meticulous and hand made in Red aged leather with the silver star and BB initials on the front as you can see with Guru's piccie (hi Anthony:wave) along the personal handwriting and drawings of Bilbo, Frodo and Samwise inside, same as the actual Red Book had in the films.
So it is definately collectable catagory, still well worth a read just to see the outstanding pictures that are in it.

If its just a book to read, enjoy and may get bashed about in the process then I would suggest you go with one of the cheaper ones be it the LOTR/Hobbit/RedBook. Imo anyway.

Personally I have the Anniversary ones and Boxsets displayed and use a cheaper version of the books to actually read as I know the spine will be bent etc.
It's up to you really there are so many to choose from
Good luck in your search :duff
x :peace

Last edited:
Me three :rock :rock
x

Me four :D :rock

It's both rare and hard to get at $495 a copy but oh so worth it :rock
It's a great addition to any book collection. I have several variations/copies of the books but this one has a display of it's own!
x :wave

Definately :lecture However if you are looking for proper versions of the stroy, obviously not the version to get.

But let's be honest, whatever you get you can't go wrong with Rings. :rock

Well, I planned on reading the book, so 495$ is way too much. Nice collectible, but I'd rather spend that money on other things.

I saw a few Red Book of Westmarch on ebay, the cheapest for 100USD. Are there cheaper versions of the book?

O' don't get me wrong, I have a set of basic/cheap paperbacks of LOTR, but what I wanted was a really good/rare collectible version.
That tended to come down to a couple of options, something like that ebay link for 100-200USD, which in the end is little more then the paperback in some leather, etc cover and a box and the like, all dressed up as a 'fake' Red Book.
Or, some 1st edition, signed, etc, etc for $10,000+, so that was out of the question.

Then I came across the one I've got, which after asking a bunch of questions and saving up some money, ticked all the boxes, so thats the one I got.

Here's how I currently have it displayed:
red-book-group2a.jpg

But yes, this is for the serious LOTR collector, welcome to the club Husker75. If all you want is a copy to read, then any basic paperback from amazon is fine.

Back