Broke man attempts expensive hobby... nearly dies of starvation..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkArtist81

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Josh (or DarkArtist81 / Chapel to my internet friends). I've been a dorky little guy since I could remember, from my humble beginnings as a toy fiend to my current status of Sideshow geek. I live in Gainesville, FL near the University of Florida. I started buying SS figures last year, with Jason VII being the first on my shelf. I was immediately in love with the detail and quality of their work and could not get enough.

Now my surfaces are overrun with movie characters, and more are on their way. I give up a lot to continue with this collection, giving up various things to help ease the pain from time to time. I've gotten used to Top Ramen and sandwiches again, though honestly.... it doesn't bother me.. Everytime I look up and see those things looking back at me, I can't help but think that it is justified. As sad as that is.

I'm happy to be here and even more so to be in the presence of so many of my collecting peers, we don't see much of that in my area... so now I have a place to express my glee besides just boring my friends... :banghead

:welcome

Seems you have your priorities in order. Do I buy a new car or keep my SSC orders? Is there any question? Can always take the bus!

You are definitely in the right place! Join the rest of the hungry and tattered attired. :D

Hi Chapel, I'm responding to your post, as it seems you and I are existing in parallel universes. Unfortunately for me, my universe exists at a magnetically opposing pole, adding a powerful strain on the costs of shipping. Apart from that, I feel you and I have tightened the belt to its final notch. This poses a real problem should there be any further pressure applied, or any attempts made to remove or adjust said belt.

Having been a member here for some time, I can tell you being in the company of like minded individuals is a needed to maintain some equilibrium. Their support, you should find, helps to weather the onslaught that exists from time to time but never moreso than now. This is a happy place to be in, but I should remind you that a twin edged sword is in play here. At some time opinions and support will find you between a rock and a harder place, and you should be careful in your judgements. Those of your own and those supplied by members of this forum, who may possibly be quick to expouse the wonders of the latest releases. This enticement needs to be avoided as it will cloud your mind and make you feel desperate. Desperate enough for you to contemplate the possibility of transforming into a Sideshow zombie.

Be assured there is no such thing as a Sideshow Zombie. Dismiss any talk of there being such a thing as a 'Dead' line. Sideshow themselves will deny that a line is ever 'Dead'. You have been warned.

(Please wait for a post from one known as The Witch King. He will make contact with you should you be in need of any further warning.)

WELCOME. WELCOME. WELCOME.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, glad to be here! Yeah, sometimes the hobby gets expensive... But it's way worth it. I still pay my car payment, rent, gas, electric and cable somehow... Only bad thing is that the PF figures are usually off limits for me, just too much... Even flexpay is not lax enough.. it sucks.

I'm just glad to have the ones I have, which btw...I put a bunch of pics in the gallery if you guys want to check them out. Mostly horror and such, starting out on the Bond series and soon to go towards LOTR and Star Wars. I love this hobby and am always scouring ebay for the ones that got away... so if anyone is living in FL and wanting someone to talk to... I'm here...:joy

Nice to know that I am not the only one out there!!

Sorry for the late welcome

Come on in the water is just fine...............

Yeah,nice to have you aboard...and nice post creech...

First of all a very belated WELCOME!!!!! to DarkArtist81:joy

:fest :fireworks

The more the merrier I say :cool:

2ndly:

creecher said:
Unfortunately for me, my universe exists at a magnetically opposing pole, adding a powerful strain on the costs of shipping.

Hey Creech,

Don't know if you checked out this weeks SS Podcsat/newsletter so here is some good news regarding the above quote.

Collectors from Australia are in for a treat! The Australian Customs Service has raised the duties and tax threshold from AU$250 to AU$1000 for Formal entries. What does this mean for you? Well, it means that all shipments valued at AU$1000 (currently US$738) or less are free from duties, taxes and processing charges! As if that weren't enough, less paperwork also translates into receipt of packages earlier! Sideshow will still try to combine shipments to our Australian collectors, however we will make sure the combined shipment value does not breach the magic number.

This was taken from the newsletter.

Thanks again Cookie Monster! I love this board and the people we have here are the best. Just glad to know that I am not the only one out there obsessing about priority pre-order days and exclusives... :cool:

Welcom Darkartist... hope you can keep up with the customizers around here. They are pretty blood thirsty especially that Josh guy, what a dick!

Oh great another noob to make this place even more crowded. I bet you paint too...like we need another artist around here.

Welcome but don't stay long. :lol

Back