David Lynch was going to direct Return of the Jedi?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His loss is our gain. "Dune" had some cool stuff going for it, but it pretty well butchered the book. And his visual style would have been completely out of place with Star Wars.

Old news. But even more interesting than this is that Lucas' first choice to direct ROTJ actually wanted to do it, but couldn't... because of a legal dispute that Lucas had with the DGA (Directors Guild of America) that prevented it. You may have heard of that guy, too: Steven Spielberg.

Old news. But even more interesting than this is that Lucas' first choice to direct ROTJ actually wanted to do it, but couldn't... because of a legal dispute that Lucas had with the DGA (Directors Guild of America) that prevented it. You may have heard of that guy, too: Steven Spielberg.

I love Jedi, but every time I remember that Spielberg was supposed to direct it, I die a little bit thinking about what could have been. :sick

That's definitely one of the biggest "What ifs?" in movie history.

David Lynch + Star Wars =
Twin_Peaks.jpg

David Lynch is a great story teller but his direction would have presented some continuity issues I think... It would be too much of a departure in stlye for SW.

You can say that again. Could have had the same problem with Spiellberg too though. Just not quite as severe.

I like ROTJ as is. It's had ewoks for too long now. I can't see it any other way.

I had read that Lucas fired Marquand half way through JEDI and he finished directing it. Don't know how true that is though.

Back