Custom Kitbashed Destro 12" Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I spotted a Movie Destro Figure at Target today. He was a mere $10. I thought the headsculpt was quite impressive since it looked like real metal. Very impressive for Hasbro.

I got him knowing the body would be crap, so I transfered his head over to a Truetype and he looks great! The pants are a little small. They don't close in the back because the TT butt is so big. But with the suit jacket down, it isn't seen. So I think he came out very well for a figure coming out just over $40 total.

dsc01405r.jpg

dsc01406w.jpg

dsc01407.jpg

dsc01409r.jpg

dsc01410nl.jpg

UPDATED PICS!

dsc01423k.jpg

dsc01424vw.jpg

dsc01425.jpg

Last edited:
I actually kind of like the "Lex Luthoring" of Destro the movie did. I think Destro can get down and dirty when it comes to it, but I think him working more behind the scenes really suits him (no pun intended).

That said, I'll probably find a better suit for him. But I had no intention of making a Destro figure until 3PM today. So for a few hour custom I'm happy with it for the moment.

Yeah, it looks good. If you can find a darker suit I think it will be well worth the trouble.

I didn't see the movie, but the idea of Destro "Lex Luthored" makes sense.

i don't like the suit. looks like a set of pajamas to me. with a better suit it would look much better.

Today I spotted a Movie Destro Figure at Target today. He was a mere $10. I thought the headsculpt was quite impressive since it looked like real metal. Very impressive for Hasbro.

I got him knowing the body would be crap, so I transfered his head over to a Truetype and he looks great! The pants are a little small. They don't close in the back because the TT butt is so big. But with the suit jacket down, it isn't seen. So I think he came out very well for a figure coming out just over $40 total.

dsc01405r.jpg

dsc01406w.jpg

dsc01407.jpg

dsc01409r.jpg

dsc01410nl.jpg

dsc01411nc.jpg

You need to flip your shelves bud. They're bowing pretty bad.

I thought I replied to this thread?

Anyway . . .

Your pictures are inspiring me to pick up a 12" ROC Destro myself. Was it easy transplanting the Destro head to a HT TT body? I concur with previous comments that Destro needs a darker suit.

I'll probably use one of darker suits I own from Triad Toys on mine.

:)

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't difficult either. I just couldn't get the ball joint of out his neck with boiling and popping. I ended up snapping the thin cord that ran between the ball in the neck and the ball in the body. So I had to carve out the ball in the neck and that took me a good few hours since my dremel's battery was dead and I had to do it by hand. After that was done though, he was ready for transplanting. The hole in his neck is a bit larger than the ball in the TT body so I had to build up the ball a bit. I just used some tin foil, but I'm sure sculpey or something else would be more permenant. But I'm not much of a customizer, so if I can do it, anyone can do it!

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't difficult either. I just couldn't get the ball joint of out his neck with boiling and popping. I ended up snapping the thin cord that ran between the ball in the neck and the ball in the body. So I had to carve out the ball in the neck and that took me a good few hours since my dremel's battery was dead and I had to do it by hand. After that was done though, he was ready for transplanting. The hole in his neck is a bit larger than the ball in the TT body so I had to build up the ball a bit. I just used some tin foil, but I'm sure sculpey or something else would be more permenant. But I'm not much of a customizer, so if I can do it, anyone can do it!
--

Very interesting.

I normally use a hot air dryer and apply heat onto the head/neck area until it becomes soft enough to pop off. Given the paint application on DESTRO's head, I may wrap it with a paper towel and focus the hot air dryer onto the neck post area and see if it become soft enough to pop off.

The suit doesn't look that terrible but the pinstripes are a bit overwhelming and I can definitely see the pajama effect, Prog. The paintwork on the head is nice just a shame it's not the 25th anniversary 12" Destro head. That was an awesome sculpt.

Oh and I think the Highlander base is very fitting for Destro! :D

--

Very interesting.

I normally use a hot air dryer and apply heat onto the head/neck area until it becomes soft enough to pop off. Given the paint application on DESTRO's head, I may wrap it with a paper towel and focus the hot air dryer onto the neck post area and see if it become soft enough to pop off.

I brought a cup of water to a boil and then stuck his head and upper body in it for about 2 minutes and it didn't work for me. The facepaint didn't suffer at all at least. Good old Hasbro paint is at least durable.

The suit doesn't look that terrible but the pinstripes are a bit overwhelming and I can definitely see the pajama effect, Prog. The paintwork on the head is nice just a shame it's not the 25th anniversary 12" Destro head. That was an awesome sculpt.

Oh and I think the Highlander base is very fitting for Destro! :D

:lol I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice the Highlander base :D

I do agree about the pajama effect. In person it isn't quite as bad, but in pics it is all too obvious.

I brought a cup of water to a boil and then stuck his head and upper body in it for about 2 minutes and it didn't work for me. The facepaint didn't suffer at all at least. Good old Hasbro paint is at least durable.

Hasbro usually does a 2-step neck, with a plastic piece glued tight surrounding the stem in the upper body and then the vinyl head is attached over a plug on the plastic piece. I know with the Joe vs. Cobra Destro head, they'd glued it to the plug (though that one was a harder PVC). Is it possible that's what happened with the ROC one? Or is the head just too stiff?

I thought the head as seperate from the lower neck, but it might al be one piece. But the head works OK without any type of TT neck adaptor being used.

I thought the head as seperate from the lower neck, but it might al be one piece. But the head works OK without any type of TT neck adaptor being used.

Let me say right now, you sir, are a bad influence! :tap

I swore I wouldn't purchase any ROC figures, but the thought that it could be years until we see a Destro from SS, and having been given a Hasbro SDCC Baroness for my birthday, I happened upon the bastard in WalMart today and couldn't pass up the $10 sticker...

Destro1.jpg

Destro2.jpg

The headsculpt is not bad for a Destro and actually fits with Sideshow's "realistic" take on the Joes. As I suspected, it was glued to the lower part but was easy to separate from the base plug. Then it was just a matter of butchering one of the necks off of a duplicate TT38 head and cutting it down so that Destro's neck wasn't too long. Then it was just a simple matter of correcting the eyes. The clothes aren't permanent, just a substitute until I figure out what I'm gonna do with the arms dealer.

I like the darker eyes. Destro is one of those characters where I prefer not to see his real eyes. Like Iron Man, Bats, or even Zartan.
Interested to see what goes on with the clothes.

Still can't believe Nam bought a ROC figure! :eek

:lol I have corrupted the Nam! Once you start, its only easier to get more :naughty

And I like your take on him. I'll probably go a similar route. But I too just couldn't pass on that $10 price. I paid that alone for the SS Cobra Commander head for my suited custom. So a full figure for that price (even if it was just the head I wanted) seemed like an incredible price to me. And yeah, I too just thought it would be a great headsculpt to go with the Sideshow figures until Sideshow makes a real Destro for us.

I like the darker eyes. Destro is one of those characters where I prefer not to see his real eyes. Like Iron Man, Bats, or even Zartan.
Interested to see what goes on with the clothes.

Still can't believe Nam bought a ROC figure! :eek

Thankfully, that's ALL I'm buying. :lol And yeah, the eye repaint was a definite MUST. I have the other two Hasbro versions, the Joe vs. Cobra and 25th, and they just seemed too cheesy. The JvC looks a bit too "ethnic" for a Scotsman and the 25th looks a little cartoony to fit in with Sideshow's Joes. That, the price, and my need for a Destro (Sideshow will probably get around to it some time around 2095 :lol) were the only reason this was even considered.

His suit was so loud, laughably ridiculous and cheap (no shirt, just a shirt front), that it now adorns my stand-by Jackie Chan figure. I've already got an idea for the clothes. I don't think his comic/cartoon outfit lends itself well to the real world though so the avenue I'm looking at would be "what would he be like if we met him today." One thing I'll be keeping faithful to is his gemstone, but I'm stumped on how/where/what I'm gonna do about that. :(

EDIT:...and Buttmunch... I'm not speaking with you at the moment for compromising my morals. :mad::p

Last edited:
Back