Phantom Menace:Special Edition is quasi-official

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwedishHeat

Super Freak
Reaction score
I watched that Behind the Scenes special of Star Wars in Concert, and it showed footage of CG Yoda from TPM. How come this isn't bigger news or have I just had my head in the sand??

The director told a story about how Lucas was at the concert and freaked out because they were using footage of puppet Yoda from TPM, and gave them the new footage to use in the concert.

I guess my head has been buried as well. I was under the impression that and Star Wars upgrades were on hold until some new wonder medium is invented.

I knew that it was inevitable that Lucas was going to work on it. I just hadn't heard that it was actually being worked on. That Concert special made it seem like the CG Yoda footage was a big selling point of the event. I guess I just haven't been keeping up with the latest Star Wars news.

So, what else is being changed?? Has Lucas said what he doesn't like and what we can expect from it?? Is he revising AOTC??

No new editions of the Star Wars saga are planned at this time. Not for DVD or Blu-ray. Especially not for Blu-ray. Not until ILM is given the time to fix all of the many flaws in the PT's CGI (and there are many).

No new editions of the Star Wars saga are planned at this time. Not for DVD or Blu-ray. Especially not for Blu-ray. Not until ILM is given the time to fix all of the many flaws in the PT's CGI (and there are many).

Who knows really?, Lucas said for years he wouldn't release DVD's ever... so... :lol

So, what else is being changed?? Has Lucas said what he doesn't like and what we can expect from it?? Is he revising AOTC??

There hasn't been mention of new editions at all other then the potential for a 3-D theatrical release. Maybe Yoda will be CG in that?

The CG Yoda in PM was just kinda thrown into a documentary on the Revenge of the Sith DVD, with nary a mention from Lucasfilm.

The CG Yoda in TPM was a warmup for when they started the CG Yoda for ROTS, it wasn't any special edition and most likely if they decide to replace him with CG in a future release they'll redo it since he shouldn't look how he did in ROTS (more worn clothing).

So no, no special edition leak.

I have heard though the grapevine that Lucas is going to have the end-all-be-all edition to the saga. He filmed footage of Jimmy Smits as an older Bail Organa in the Senate as Palpatine desolves the Senate permanently. It's mentioned in "A New Hope" by Tarkin but not visialized. I mean Lucas did redo Jabba's part in "A New Hope" a second time even after the first CGI make-over. He wants to milk his cash cow for all it's worth. We will see the saga on DVD again and it won't be the same, mark my words.

Unless TPM special Ed. involves a remake which is essentially Darth Maul cauterizing people for 2 plus hours, I don't think I'll be re-buying it anytime soon.

I am down for a complete re-imagining of the entire story. I say scrap all Star Wars as we know it and go back to square one.

Start with replacing George Lucas.

he should just redo all the prequel films from scratch with better actors, better dialogue, and a better story.

I am down for a complete re-imagining of the entire story. I say scrap all Star Wars as we know it and go back to square one.

Start with replacing George Lucas.

Yep, he can create a universe, but he can't write worth a crap.

As for the Special Edition

A) I like puppet Yoda better
B) No matter how many Special, Deluxe, Director's Cut, or Extended Edition that will come out, the movie still sucks donkey balls....

Okay good, so there isn't a special edition of TPM in the works. From the clip of Star Wars in Concert, the director said it was the exclusive debut of the CG Yoda in Phantom Menace. It just sounded like a bigger deal than it was. I'm sure I remember hearing about it back when ROTS came out on DVD, I've just forgotten about it by now.

Back