Steve Sansweet's "Star Wars: 1,000 Collecitlbes" Book

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Perhaps there's a thread already, but I just saw this book in the store today. I'm not sure what the focus of the book is supposed to be, perhaps he had to limit himself to just 1000 items. But there's tons of junk in here and as far as I can tell only a single Sideshow item - the Greivous PF.

I'd think that showing a display of all the 12" Star Wars figures would be far cooler than the 1999 disco Jedi robes for your Hasbro dolls. But that's just me.

Star Wars: 1,000 Collectibles: Memorabilia and Stories from a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Re: New Sansweet's Star Wars collectibles book

I have this book. I think it's actually pretty interesting, although there's a lot of wasted space since he has a lot of big pictures and sparse text. The point of the book is to share some of his favorite pieces from his collection and some personal stories behind them (how he acquired them, etc.) so there's not really a unifying theme beyond that. There are some pretty interesting anecdotes, but it's probably most interesting for someone who doesn't already know a lot about Star Wars collectibles to just leaf through.

Another money grab from Sansweet to pay for his collection. :monkey1

I just heard about this in the new Star Wars magazine issue. I have the Vault book so I'm not sure if I need this one or not.

wow only 1 ss pic? i would think sideshow pretty much defines sw collecting atm...imo.

wow only 1 ss pic? i would think sideshow pretty much defines sw collecting atm...imo.

Not in Sansweet's collection, Sideshow would be as mainstream as Hasbro, the guy collects everything, rare candy wrappers from Japan, soaps from Germany, whatever catches his eye. While I'm sure he loves SSC product, in his collection, I'm sure it's not the most interesting stuff in his eyes.

Not in Sansweet's collection, Sideshow would be as mainstream as Hasbro, the guy collects everything, rare candy wrappers from Japan, soaps from Germany, whatever catches his eye. While I'm sure he loves SSC product, in his collection, I'm sure it's not the most interesting stuff in his eyes.

He has a lot of Hasbro (Kenner) in the book though. I guess if it's just a personal journey of his favorite pieces that kind of makes sense, but to just about completely ignore a current company making product that people can actually buy at retail seems a disservice to anyone buying the book and actually interested in the subject.

Reading the magazine article again it seems like he wanted to show the weird and goofy and hard to find stuff that you can't just go and buy, the stuff we "normal" people may never get a chance to see. But of course I have not seen the book so I don't know what all he actually did show.

It's definitely not supposed to be a comprehensive guide of any sort. It's very mixed. He includes a fair number of a one-of-a-kind and hand crafted items as well as more mainstream things. And yes, he definitely like the quirky and unusual things more than statues or realistic figures.

Perhaps there's a thread already, but I just saw this book in the store today. I'm not sure what the focus of the book is supposed to be, perhaps he had to limit himself to just 1000 items. But there's tons of junk in here and as far as I can tell only a single Sideshow item - the Greivous PF.

I'd think that showing a display of all the 12" Star Wars figures would be far cooler than the 1999 disco Jedi robes for your Hasbro dolls. But that's just me.

Star Wars: 1,000 Collectibles: Memorabilia and Stories from a Galaxy Far, Far Away

I agree.

I'm not one to diss this book, especially as I have not seen it in hand, but I'd be far more interested if a book was on the market tomorrow concerning Sideshows various collectables etc, featuring how collectors display and arrange their prized figures,statues props and art pieces.

I am simply in awe at some of the collections members have on here, it is such a pleasure to see their displays and also the custom work that some do. I'd buy a book about this.

yah, i have his other vault book and the tomart guuide and they are cool. i just meant imo ss = best sw collectibles atm as far as what i buy...but i don't collect sw gum wrappers, etc. or any other bizarre stuff.

yah, i have his other vault book and the tomart guuide and they are cool. i just meant imo ss = best sw collectibles atm as far as what i buy...but i don't collect sw gum wrappers, etc. or any other bizarre stuff.

Agree. But since we're already in the know about Sideshow, the only purpose it would serve for us would be to validate our opinions. We already know SS owns. I can see maybe the Sideshow people themselves being a little miffed though.

I may pick this book up.I don't really have many books on the history of Star Wars and collectibles etc..i only have books on Star Wars lore.I do remember way back when i was young,i had the wind up R2 that was only released in Japan and Canada(as far as i know)..still wish i had that thing, its worth a fair bit.

There are better books if you want any sort of "history" -- this is really more like a Stansweet's memoirs told through collectibles, if that makes sense.

To be fair, he does include some odd-ball stuff, even the bootleg HT George Lucas.

That was my first Hot Toys figure. :D

Perhaps Hot Toys should do a DX figure of him now... using the PERS feature so George could look in all directions for more ways to expand his SW empire. :horror:horror:horror

I may pick this book up.I don't really have many books on the history of Star Wars and collectibles etc..i only have books on Star Wars lore.I do remember way back when i was young,i had the wind up R2 that was only released in Japan and Canada(as far as i know)..still wish i had that thing, its worth a fair bit.

There are better books if you want any sort of "history" -- this is really more like a Stansweet's memoirs told through collectibles, if that makes sense.

Yeah, If you want the best one get the Star Wars Vault. Its Sansweets book as well but it covers everything not just his personal collection.

Yeah, If you want the best one get the Star Wars Vault. Its Sansweets book as well but it covers everything not just his personal collection.

Oh yes!, is this book vaccum sealed in plastic?..came with cds or something?..i remember a year or more ago, it was on sale at my local Chapters book store..i should have caved in then.

Back