New 3D Star Wars Rumor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
It's a rumor, so take it for what it's worth. :emperor

Jim here. Here is a strong rumor that should whet your appetites! (or sour them if you have had too much of the franchise). I have been hearing rumblings... extremely quiet at first, but now heating up significantly and from a trusted source - that George Lucas is preparing to unleash another STAR WARS trilogy upon us, this time in stereoscopic 3D. This is NOT the TV series, these are brand spankin' new 3D STAR WARS movies.

Yes, the pending 2D to 3D conversions of his six existing STAR WARS properties are still a go as 3D theaters are approaching 3000 (5000 is the number Lucas wants). No word on when this work will be completed.

But here is the shocker: Lucas will be producing and NOT directing these new episodes apparently! Could Steven Spielberg be tapped to direct a STAR WARS movie after all? Yes according to a trusted source of mine! Further, Francis Ford Coppola was mentioned too as a possible director for a future film!

A lot depends on the success of AVATAR this winter - if it takes off like everyone is expecting it to, then you will most likely see three additional STAR WARS movies added.

What an interesting competitive box office landscape that would make over the next 6 to 10 years! James Cameron's AVATAR world vs. George Lucas' STAR WARS world. I could see Lucas getting a little jealous over a successful launch of AVATAR - jealous because it is a fully articulated universe, like his. And if he doesn't act on it - his franchise may well be relegated to a back seat as potentially the records will start falling to Pandora. Heck STAR WARS is still not 3D yet and what better way to try to maintain a lock on bragging rights than to launch into three more in native stereoscopic 3D.

How seriously should you consider these rumors? Well it is coming from a source that SHOULD KNOW. This source is absolutely connected. So odds are it is seriously being talked about at Lucasfilm. Right now. Will it happen? AVATAR will have to hit and hit big and then all the stars have to align properly - all I can do is pass on the info.

Personally I WANT this to happen dearly. I REALLY want to see what the STAR WARS universe looks like in Spielberg's hands *AND* in stereoscopic 3D. You would too, wouldn't you? :)

https://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/10/exclusive-lucasfilm-gearing-up-another.html

Well....you know that Lucas isn't going to the Skywalker well anymore if he sticks to his comments and I seriously doubt he'll use anything written/established by other entities as part of his films completely so it should be interesting to see if he will write a set of new films that can hold their weight.

yeah, would these be the long awaited 7-9 or a totally unrelated trilogy? My hopes are for mix of both.

How freaking awesome would be something more in the treatment of The Fellowship of the Ring where the current events are Episode 7-9 but the films flash back and interpolate Old Republic stuff for example.

Similar to how the SEs were used to test the waters for the prequels they really need to send out the OT in 3D and see how they fare.

In any event, I'm willing to spend another 20+ years of my life focused on Star Wars...:lol

Werent there Directors Guild issues that prevented Spielberg and Coppola from directing ESB and Jedi?

Chances are they would probably be something like the Clone Wars with Anakin and Obi Wan--skewed for a younger audience and all CG. I can't imagine Lucas investing the time and energy into 3 more full blown motion pictures even if he's not directing.

What ever happened to that crazy "Episode 0" rumor revolving around Yoda, some 88 years before TPM?

Wait, isn't this just a very clever and subversive way to get the Star Wars fan crowd to watch Avatar?

Well, I was going to watch it anyway...

Well, to begin with. I freakin' HATE 3D movies. I am not sure if it is due to the color deficiency I have between my reds and greens, or being too logically-minded, but I have never been impressed by the 3D effect. Although I do see the depth, it has never looked like it was profound. I have been disappointed at every 3D movie I have seen.

So, if they do EI-EVI in 3D...I will certainly pass. And IF (and I doubt it HIGHLY) there are more original Star Wars movies, I hope they are also released in non-3D versions...or I will be missing them.

Further, If they do any more, whether it is one or a trilogy, I sincerely hope that they do story that is removed from the Darth Vader Saga. Like as in maybe a trilogy about one of the key battles in an outer rim world, and NOT taken from one of the novels already written. I would want to see completely new material. But I am not sure, after EI-EIII, that I would want George Lucas to write them.

Finally...Steven Spielberg directing...whatever:rolleyes:. Frances Ford Coppola directing? Now THAT I would like to see!

I just can't see a new project happening anytime soon considering the live-action tv show isn't supposed to air for another 2 years. And aren't Lucas and Spielberg working on a new Indy movie? Is he going to be working on these until he's in his 80s?

Werent there Directors Guild issues that prevented Spielberg and Coppola from directing ESB and Jedi?

Didn't it have something to do with the lack of credits at the intro's?

I just can't see a new project happening anytime soon considering the live-action tv show isn't supposed to air for another 2 years. And aren't Lucas and Spielberg working on a new Indy movie? Is he going to be working on these until he's in his 80s?

:lecture:lecture:lecture If anything I see Lucas passing off the OT and PT to be retrofitted for 3D. Beyond that, unless it's a 3D Clone Wars movie tying into the animated show, I highly doubt it.

But as others have stated, I want it on BluRay first! :tap

I've only seen one modern 3-D movie: Up. At first I was curious and excited about it. But I really hated the effect. I think it took away from the artistry of the animation. The 3-D effects forced you to focus on whatever was in focus and prevented you to take in the entire frame as a singular work of art, like all previous Pixar movies have been. Every time I would try and move my eyes around the frame to what was in the background, it would practically give me a headache!

Anyway, I saw no benefit to the 3-D effect and I have no desire to ever see another one again.

I just want the original theatrical OT on Blu. Is that too much to ask for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back