Difference betwee Sideshow and other companies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking28

Super Freak
Reaction score
My question is in previous thread why does Sideshow get treated heavy handed while other companies get a free pass?
Meaning when it comes to exclusives, paint jobs, price point ect a lot of other companies its looked the other way. But with Sideshow they get hit on ever single one of those points while others get the get out of jail card.

Sideshow is one of the best around and do more for their fans than anybody.

Please clarify what you're meaning Viking, as I know that Bowen gets the
living Hell bashed out of it, no matter what they do. Gold Bucky put everybody
up in arms, and some people are still pissed about it. Not so bad with Phasing
Vision, but still - everything RB does is micro-analyzed to death by people.

I think that the more customer access a company allows itself to have, the
more bitching and complaining they'll receive.

You don't hear as much griping about Cinemaquette or some other companies,
as they don't interact with customers. It is take what we offer or go elsewhere.

I've often wondered (especially for Randy Bowen) if that wouldn't be a better
way for these companies to operate, to reduce the headaches they incur.

JS :)

That's a good question Viking. I know MR gets beat on a lot but that's because they seem to do some really stupid stuff. Everyone else though seems to get off scott free IMO.

Edit: The thing about RB though is just like you said JS. He almost asks for it though. He gives so much access and allows the people to collect to say the pose or sculpt should be more like this. In my eyes that's just plain and simple asking for it.

I think it's true that Sideshow gets rougher treatment, because they have allowed fans to have a much more intimate involvement with them, as a company and even as individuals. I love the Code 3 Star Wars vehicle replicas, but that company could be run by voiceless robots for all I know. There is no interaction or visible response to the discussion on their forums. I don't bother getting emotional with them, because they do nothing to stir my emotions.

I get into a lot more arguments with my wife than with my next door neighbor, because the level of intimacy is exponentially higher. It's the same with Sideshow. They have developed a great and unique relationship with their fans and customers, and we really do feel like we know them and can interact with them, hearing and being heard. Naturally, this allows for higher highs and lower lows in the buyer/seller relationship. I wouldn't trade the occasional minor frustrations for a soulless company that is both deaf and mute.

I agree to some extent with you guys about there being more intimacy and sense of community. The newsletter, podcast, these forums, all the contest, etc. They know what they are doing and they seem to know the culture of the pieces they are producing. Culture meaning the difference between a Jedi and an Ewok, a Wizard and an Orc, etc. It shows when they do variants, contests, etc.

The other reason why people demand so much from SS is quality and price. There is a high level of exclusivity with some of their pieces. No Diamond Previews distribution being a big one given their demographic. Which means if you are a fantasy or comic fan and want a high quality SS piece you gotta go to the source for the exclusive or find a place that may not necessarily be your comic store. And when you compare prices these things are way more than the DC Direct or Marvel Select stuff you see in Previews.

You have to go out of your way. You have to pay more. So you demand more. More quality. More communication. More listening to our feedback.

Otherwise people would just buy Bowen or whatever at a discount and call it a day.

If we are only talking about pre-paint statues and marvel i think that SS isn't the only one to be criticized.

Bowen gets quite a bit of criticism particularly because the company has a longer history with Marvel and because there are a lot more completists. So when Gold Bucky came up it was bound to cause uproar.

DST is continuously being compared to Bowen Design and as a result is continuously slagged off by Bowen collectors who can’t see beyond their own noses.

Hard Hero is just too young a company to be critical of when it comes to Marvel. A lot of people like how they are progressing and how they are producing comic like sculpts. It also helps that they have the one sculptor working on the line. It gives them a level of consistency.

Guys I think there are a lot of very sensitive people on this board who take any sort of criticise against Sideshow as almost personal. I realise that you have developed a relationship with the people whom have run this fine company. But you need to be less protective of them. They can defend themselves.

If you look at the level of critique the sculptors get who work for Bowen, now that’s un called for and at times down-right ignorant. I don’t think my complaints about SS were over the top. I made my complaint and pointed out that it was directed towards the people whom make decisions as SS. I would prefer them to outline why they made their decision as to how it effects people whom live outside the US.

I’ve been collecting works from the Gore Group before they joined the ranks of Sideshow so I think I’m entitled to be somewhat disappointed with missing out on the GHE. I was equally as disappointed when Randy Bowen dropped John Cleary’s Appocalypse from Phase 3.

Bullseye said:
...I’ve been collecting works from the Gore Group before they joined the ranks of Sideshow so I think I’m entitled to be somewhat disappointed with missing out on the GHE...

You know, the green version is the exact same sculpture as the grey version. You're still getting the same amount of Gore Group involvement no matter which version you end up with. :peace

Sideshow Andy said:
You know, the green version is the exact same sculpture as the grey version. You're still getting the same amount of Gore Group involvement no matter which version you end up with. :peace

Not if you got the grey and the green. Then you have twice as much Gore.:D

Good thread topic. Hey man, I'm a Bowen knight as well. I rarely complain over there cuz someone usually blasts Bowen for me. And trust me, they blast him to the point where I'm fully satisfied that he's been blasted enough. There's ALWAYS controversy in that board, and I guess that's part of the fun.

In the end, however, I'm very satisfied with his method of doing things. More than once, he's admitted mistakes and gone back to fix them. I might not like what he does sometimes, but I trust the man alot. Haha, did you see that constipated Professor X? (Let's see what happens there). Anyhow, going back to their quality issues, I find it less frequent than Sideshow, but that's my experience.

As for Sideshow, yes, I blow up at them every now and then, but they do produce some top-notch products. If anything, there seems to be a double-standard with regards to the forum. I bring up a topic, and I can almost count on the inevitable personal attacks, ie. "get a life", "whiner", etc.

On the bowen section, I can sit back and laugh when I see someone blast Bowen so hard that even HE gets pissed and responds personally. In the end, however, I'm sure some of his harshest critics are his biggest customers.

I think for both Bowen and sideshow there are high expectations, so when there's something that needs tweaking, we let them know. Bad paintops, poor customer service, etc. spell bad business. Only your good friends will put themselves out to criticize. Good companies respond reasonably. Recent controversy about the moonknight and ES of its white version caused an uproar, but Bowen made the right decision and listened to his fans.

Bullseye said:
Guys I think there are a lot of very sensitive people on this board who take any sort of criticise against Sideshow as almost personal. I realise that you have developed a relationship with the people whom have run this fine company. But you need to be less protective of them. They can defend themselves.

That isn't entirely correct. They can't defend themselves. They have to take criticism on the chin and take the ducks back approach. One time the good folks at Sideshow, that post here, just disappeared, after one posted some remarks to set things straight. It may not have been the result of comments made, but reading between the lines and the timing pointed to that, for me anyways. That is why some of us do seem sensitive to critique, that isn't explained properly in posts.

When I first joined, and at other times, depending on my mood swings, I have made foolish criticisms, and am always pleased to be set straight by fellow members. It can be a little embarrassing, but it's a small sacrifice when you get the benefit of those that really do know.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom, exposure and familiarity often breed an over expectation, people just begin to assume privilege. I completely agree as well that SS opens the door so wide, that they are prone to receiving WAY more feedback (pro and con) than any other company (I don't collect Bowen, so I am ignorant of his company).

I really appreciate SS, they do have a soul, they do constantly bend over backwards to cater to their customers. They are always doing giveaways, free shipping, or tucking a little something extra in your box, the good overwhelmingly outweighs any bad that may exist.

I hope that SS can see that the vast majority of their base are thrilled with their business practices, their products and their customer service (perhaps their strongest attribute). I would hate to see them become another Gentle Giant or Master Replicas, just because complaints while valid are presented in a hostile way. I am sure it would much easier for them to become ambivalent towards their community, and just retreat from communicating and sell product - but I sincerely hope that never happens.

We always appreciate feedback, good or bad. It is helpful though to express criticism in a clear manner minus the emotion. This way it can truly be evaluated properly.

LOTRFAN makes an interesting point though. Kinda like having a college party for your friends and then all of a sudden your house is full of people you don't know cause the word got out. This by the way isn't necessarily bad until someone gets mad at the party at someone else and drives over your front lawn or TP's your trees!

Best,
Chicky

And aren't GG and MR trying to move closer to the SSC model anyway? MR has their blog now, which is kind of like a newsletter/forum interaction. GG has a news section. Neither has reached the level of interaction of SSC, Bowen or Hard Heroes, but they do seem to moving in that direction.

As the competition steadily grows in the collectibles market the companies need to cultivate brand loyalty and I think SSC has done that better than most.

Darklord Dave said:
And aren't GG and MR trying to move closer to the SSC model anyway? MR has their blog now, which is kind of like a newsletter/forum interaction. GG has a news section. Neither has reached the level of interaction of SSC, Bowen or Hard Heroes, but they do seem to moving in that direction.

As the competition steadily grows in the collectibles market the companies need to cultivate brand loyalty and I think SSC has done that better than most.

I agree. Mostly in regards to MR. They are really trying hard to catch up and offer that high level of interaction over at rebelscum. Their intentions are good and the reps they have answering questions are friendly but they come up short in truly understanding what works in terms of the value of a collectible.

Sideshow is leaps ahead of them and I think people here take it for granted. Everyone that missed out on Gray Hulk is entitled to be upset. Acting like children about it and disregarding how good Sideshow is in other areas seems unfair.

Just an update regarding the Professor X sculpt by Bowen. As a discussion between how things are done between different companies, notice that Bowen changed the facial sculpt within one day (!). As a comparison, the Aragorn facial sculpt wasn't exactly well received, and despite the generally negative feedback, Sideshow still went with it. With Sideshow, there really isn't any input in the prototype process; by the time the production pics are up, that's pretty much what you're going to get. And even that isn't exactly true as Han was originally advertised with a prototype with a really nice paintjob that was subsequently replaced once the Han started shipping/close to shipping. Now before I get bashed, let it be known that I do have a Luke (decided to give them benefit of the doubt and was anticipating Han), but saw a friend's Han and that pretty much killed my interest in the PF SW line.

han1.jpg

han2.jpg

Last edited:
Bullseye said:

I disagree like creech. I'll say what he said to start they really can't stand up for themselves. Not in the same manner in which some of the comments are made by some members. Like the other day Bull when the GH event happened you basically said they stabbed EU people in the back and slapped us in the face. Something to that degree. Those are some pretty personal attacks towards a company something members like me who have become friends with SS just don't like to see. Now, I know you said you shouldn't have gone off like that but I'm just using that as an example. Nothing personal Bull. :D

If someone comes in and says I don't like this and explains it better than flying off the handle. I just read on or say a little well what about this and move on.

Wow, that is a huge difference in pictures. What happened to the prototype figure? Even the clothing material is different, why? Why? Why? :horror

What happened? :confused:

My guess is the casting process is causing some serious shrinkage for the final versions; note how the final version looks significantly skinnier. As for the clothes...not sure what the heck happened there.

Back