Dinosauria: Tyannosaurus Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vrolokus

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Re: Tyrannosaurus rex maquette

Okay, here we go... two posts, 20 pics total. All but one are sans flash... note though that either the light in my house or the camera skews the color in a different direction without a flash. In life, the rex doesn't seem so greenish. So for a real life color, take the pic I took with a flash and just dial down the intensity... the rex gives an impression of being more earthy than mossy.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

(with flash)

picture.php

(same shot without)

picture.php

(R side scars)

picture.php

(L side scars)

picture.php

picture.php

just picked up my exclusive #93 today. great piece. the scars do look kinda meh but i do like the pose and sculpt of this T-rex. a nice change from all the attacking T-rex poses we normally see. here's some quick pics. nothing special.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

[ Mods, feel free to relocate to review forum. Thank you. ]

Tyrannosaurus rex Maquette
By Sideshow Collectibles “Dinosauria”
Review by Dan of DansDinosaurs.com

What can be said of the Tyrannosaurus rex? Easily the most popular of all prehistoric animals, this universally recognized carnivore embodies the might and majesty of the ancient world. In any exhibit or product line, his presence is absolutely mandatory, his regal status beyond question. Since their premiere in 2009, Sideshow Collectibles has already released two interpretations of the species for their “Dinosauria” line. Although undeniably exciting, the “T.rex vs. Triceratops” scene has been depicted many times in the past. The challenge for this maquette is to create something fresh and original, to show the Tyrannosaurus as it has never been seen before.

DSC00544.jpg

One instantly noticeable aspect of this creature is the presence it commands, without even opening its jaws. The two previous Sideshow Dinosauria statues were extraordinarily dynamic, like snapshots of a violent scene. Instead, this tyrannosaur is plodding along with a relatively casual posture. This naturalistic vision is not commonly seen in mass-produced toys, often reserved for the eyes of mature collectors and resin model enthusiasts. This is indeed how one might expect the animal to appear in life, stalking in a Cretaceous forest, its immediate goal somewhat mysterious.

DSC00545.jpg

Sideshow has promised to reconstruct its dinosaurs not merely as museum display pieces, but as fully-fleshed out characters. Never before has this vision been executed so prominently or stylishly. This tyrannosaur is not smooth and pristine; he is a grizzled, ancient-looking predator, with old wounds decorating his body like war medals. Each unique laceration is carved into his flesh, a vast history for all to see. The ambiguity of these injuries leaves much to the imagination, and since speculating is half the fun, I will avoid sharing my own interpretations here. Some, such as the broad tears along the tail, appear fresh and young. Others, such as the swollen growth at his ankle, appear more severe and agonizing. This portrait of an old predator is not merely sympathetic, but potentially inspiring. He leers out at the viewer, almost challenging them: “What are your wounds compared to mine?”

DSC00550.jpg

Among the many talented artists involved in the creation of this piece, fans of paleoart will instantly recognize the signature style of David Krentz. This old bull is somewhat gracile (as the modern male rex is frequently depicted), with an avian build that strongly echoes Krentz’s theropods. The bird-like texturing on the feet, as well as the alert posture, coincides with our modern interpretation of the Tyrannosaurus. Even so, this old male was likely better at ambush than high-speed pursuits. His body is richly muscled, particularly in the powerful legs and neck. The neck is bristled with protruding knobs and wrinkled skin, further enhancing that scraggly, ancient visage.

DSC00548.jpg

The face itself is where much of the personal character can be seen. It is easy to imagine, yet difficult to fathom, the sheer number of rival predators this Tyrannosaur fought throughout its lifetime. Much of the impressive scarring can be found along the head, which is undoubtedly the business-end of the animal. The eyes and nostrils glisten realistically, with deep gashes running perpendicular to the jawline. The teeth are also notable, as many appear to be short or missing altogether. Tyrannosaurs were known to quickly replace teeth that were lost throughout their career, so this striking irregularity lends great credibility to the reconstruction.

DSC00547.jpg

The dark coloration of the body brightens into a golden hue before hitting the pale underside. This is somewhat consistent with the other Dinosauria Tyrannosaurus. The head appears to be almost flushed red, possibility as a warning to rivals, or for use in sexual display. It is this standout element that really amplifies the creature’s avian appearance, and even when perceived by a different species, there is no denying the color’s dramatic and striking effect.

DSC00546.jpg

Although the finer details are somewhat muddled when compared to the original stock photos, this remains an outstanding reconstruction of the Tyrannosaurus rex. It has tremendous power, personality, and attention to detail (even the feet appear to be dusted with moss from the earthen base). The only cause for hesitation is the price tag, which is comparable to a high-end resin kit, but this piece ships fully finished. This might not be the “prettiest” Rex on the market, but it is unquestionably one of the finest.

[ Feel free to post your own reviews in this thread, as well. ]

Well, finally I have the time to sit down and commit the time to doing this maquette justice in a review. So on that note...

Dinosauria Review #3: Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
Part I
I'm posting this review in parts because I wish to post more than the allowed number of photos per post.
IMG_0860.jpg

Throughout the history of man's love affair with dinosaurs, Tyrannosaurus rex has inarguably enjoyed the most immense popularity and familiarity. Whenever a new theropod is discovered today, one is quick to notice that T.rex is unfailingly used as the standard of comparison for whichever new beast enters paleontological knowledge. However large and imposing, no prehistoric beast has succeeded in stealing the limelight from T.rex in the public consciousness. The Tyrant Lizard King has set the bar for fearsomeness, the living embodiment of carnivorous might to tread upon our world. Whenever a line of dinosaur collectibles is introduced, it seems compulsory to produce an interpretation of T.rex. Sideshow collectibles has given us two stunning renditions of his royal highness... notice I used the plural "renditions", added testament to the awe inspired by this animal.

In the diorama, we have T.rex coupled with its timeless foe, Triceratops, though not in the manner we were expecting. T.rex isn't the triumphant combatant in the diorama, he's a neophyte, a young buck literally biting off far more than he can chew with a T.horridus bull who is no stranger to attacking Tyrannosaurs. The result is two beasts entangled in a dance of death, both animals plummeting down a cliffside in a prehistoric yin yang of violence which will culminate in both of their deaths. Here we have a young T.rex, never having realized its full potential, and we see it captured in the statue only moments before its death.

THAT was a different take on T.rex, something the public wasn't used to seeing. Sideshow discovered the answer to the question, "How do you make an animal so very familiar appear both new and interesting?" The diorama showed us one answer to that question, and if there was any lingering doubt that Sideshow achieved said goal, the maquette truly staid all naysayers in their tracks. The Tyrannosaurus rex in the maquette is not a subadult, ignorant of the dangers of the world. On the contrary, he is the alpha predator of his time, the absolute zenith of tyrannosaurid evolution and achievement...
IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

I'll start with the choice of base. Sideshow elected to use detritus, fallen trees, and algal growth to accentuate the atmosphere, to make us believe that the prehistoric beast upon which we gaze mirrors in its life the environment it has selected as its territory. An ancient forrest inhabited by an ancient predator. It's a small leap of imagination to mentally envision nervous groups of herbivores passing the forest on their migratory trek, ever looking for a carnivore almost mythic to them in reputation and villainy; adults begin to cluster their young toward the center of the herd, sentries flank the group to warn, fight, or sacrifice themselves to further the survival of the group. All of this simply inspired by gazing upon the terrain in which lurks the Tyrant of Hell Creek.

IMG_0877.jpg

Like many have already stated, I too had trouble fitting the peg on the left leg into the base. A little patience, however, goes a long way, and in under a few minutes the statue stands securely in place. Yes, it was frustrating, and I had to act with measured delicacy and persistence, hoping not to damage the Dinosauria piece for which I have had the highest of expectations. For that reason, assembling the piece was a tad frustrating, but ultimately rewarding.
IMG_0883.jpg

Now to the T.rex itself. :D I have never personally beheld any statue which conveys so very much about the individual animal more so than this maquette. The backstory for the statue relays that the Tyrant of Hell Creek is depicted in mid-stride, turning to meet a much younger and ultimately inexperienced combatant. This is where I'll begin to assert how much the personality of the animal leaps forth from the sculpt upon close examination; He seems as if he has been cruelly interrupted while patrolling his territory, deviating from his course to discipline an impudent whelp intruding within his domain. Just look at those eyes! Now, I imagine if the eyes aren't painted evenly this exercise may be a bit comical, but on my maquette, they are evenly placed; the right eye widened, and the left eye squinting. The expression looks to be one of both confusion and rage. The T.rex is furious at this effrontery, letting loose a deep growl and turning to assert his dominance as he has so very many times before.

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

The piece is clearly collaborative. David Krentz's signature dynamism is present. The posture is that of an active animal, not sedentary but on the move, gliding through the woods he stalks like a specter, haunting not only this forrest but the minds of all dinosaurs that have had the misfortune to meet him, and the good fortune count themselves among the survivors of such encounters. The tail itself flourishes much like a signature, and rightfully so since it is a signature of David Krentz's work, seen in Tyrannosaurs in "Krentz Presentz!" and Gorgosaurus Judith to name only a few.
IMG_0881.jpg

Dinosauria Review #3: Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
Part II

The tail sways in a ghost-like manner, almost like the lash of an oppressor. This leads me to the dominant, martial aspect of the animal. The age of the animal belies that every moment of its life has revolved around combat. In Tyrannosaurs we traditionally see two forms - the gracile and robust forms. Formerly we used to believe these were sexually dimorphic characters, but in recent years a glut of evidence points to it being likely correlated to age rather than sex. And the age and anatomical characteristics of this creature clearly display that it is the robust form of T.rex along the lines of RSM 2523.8 or FMNH PR2081 - the size of the skull in comparison to the rest of the body, bowed forelimbs, and emphasized again by space-consuming yet elegant tail. We are literally looking at a hardened combatant. Its very body looks to be armor. Dermal protuberances line the entire dorsal region, not only along the spine itself, but even edging the upper thighs. These protrusions are most noticeable along the cervical region posterior to the skull; while ornamental, their angular nature even in display evokes menace. The orbital ridges are thick and heavily ossified, again a characteristic of the robust form of Tyrannosaurs, a characteristic which Bakker hypothesized could have been used in conspecific combat, along with the nasal ridge which is likewise thickened - even to such an extent that it elevates from above the base and extends over the naris. This prominence in terms of the nasal ridge is likely from the bone disease that this individual has running throughout its body, but that makes it no less formidable.
IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

Now to the scars. Every injury, every etch in its hide, tells a story. The story of this animal's life is etched into its very flesh. Trophies, medals of valor, this animal's rewards for contests wherein it emerged the victor. Some members of this forum have been complaining about the detailing on the scars. When reading their comments, I find myself wondering if any of them have ever actually seen avulsion injuries on large reptiles. My guess is no, because then none of this complaining would have ensued. No two scars on an individual should be alike. Those along the right flank of the thoracic region as well as along the right hip are clearly older, with the tissue having build up over time, elevating over the cutaneous surface.
IMG_0866.jpg

Conversely, the immense area on the tail where it appears the skin and a decent portion of subcutaneous tissue was removed, isn't elevated, but still deeper than the surface tissue, glistening giving the impression that it is relatively fresh (over the past several weeks or months) and is slowly healing.

Now to the scarring all throughout the skull. The left side of the skull has flaps of skin and scales that have healed over, still facing perpendicular to the body surface. The right side of the skull, however, makes these injuries appear to have been the tender touch of a lover by comparison. The raking wounds along the right side of the skull are a painful reminder of perhaps the most impressive combative success of this alpha male's career - battling off a pack of Tyrannosaurs and in particular its aggressive matriarch. While some of the wounds from this attack seem to have healed over, others are rich with fluid. It seems as if every time this T.rex flexes its jaw it opens these wounds again, even if only slightly in comparison to when they were originally inflicted. The maxilla sports several gruesome sections, and the mandible has an immense section of flesh torn away. What's nice is looking at this in comparison to the rest of the jaw. Displaying not only its ferocity, but its age, this T.rex has slackened skin along its lower jaw, revealing the deep crimson gums beneath. I found it interesting to compare this loose skin along the left side of the mandible with the same section on the right side, where we can see that the matriarch's teeth found purchase in this skin and tore it free from its foundations.
IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0869-1.jpg

Now obviously when looking to this particular section of the creature, one in drawn to its teeth. I personally like the idea of the T.rex being depicted with its jaws clamped shut rather than splayed with ferocity. It would be like every piece of wildlife art depicting lions having them roaring and striking out with their claws. Lions are not in a constant state of attack, and sometimes the moment before launching the attack is where the artist can find the most menace in the predator. That feat was achieved here. Speaking as someone who looks at animal dentition every single day, the buildup of plaque as the teeth move proximally is extraordinary. The way in which the paint and gloss were applied make the teeth appear to be genuine and far more than simple polystone. Also, the teeth are not uniform. So many people have the misconception that T.rex teeth are generally homodont and vary only in size. On the contrary, T.rex possessed heterodont dentition, meaning that its teeth varied widely in their design and purpose, depending upon where they were placed in the jaw. The large teeth along the side show those tools which were meant to drive through bone as if it were margarine, and opposite these we see the delicate nipping teeth in the front which would have been equally useful in peeling away bits of flesh as well as grooming.

And now to the color scheme. Anthony Mestas did an exemplary job here, and in natural light one can see the intricate interplay of colors to execute a magnificent cryptic coloration. The tan, green, grey, and brown shades which result give the animal exceptional cover for patrolling dense foliage, but the head itself is quite impressive. The shade of red isn't overwhelming, thankfully. Like the rest of the body on this geriatric autocrat, the colors are somewhat muted, thought still attain a vibrancy that is quite beautiful. In countless bird and reptile species we see these features. Males birds develop more vibrant coloration depending upon the season and dominance of the individuals; male reptiles flush capillary beds in order to intimidate or impress. This male seems to be literally "red with anger" over the presence of a rival Tyrannosaur in his territory, and it's a fine touch of realism in the piece. Speaking of realism, the gloss is applied quite well throughout. I mentioned the fresher scars sporting such coating, but the eyes and the nostrils appear moist, another of the many features which truly makes the maquette come alive.

In short, it's my favorite piece in the collection thus far. I could pore over the minutia of details for hours on end. The line continues to impress. Even the exclusive skull had an interplay of colors that was impressive, and the delicate sculpting of the teeth to appear as sharp as they are thick leaves no need to wonder to which beast this skull belongs.
IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0871-1.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Firstoff, I want to think Scar for his usual lengthy review.:D I love reading a review that teaches me something new.:D

Anyway, my T-rex exclusive arrived today, and I absolutely love it. Everything about this piece just blows my mind, especially the stance.
This is definately my favorite Dinosauria piece in the line, so far.

Here are some outdoor pics of lucky number thirteen.:banana

t-rex_1.jpg

t-rex_2.jpg

t-rex_3.jpg

t-rex_4.jpg

t-rex_5.jpg

t-rex_11.jpg

t-rex_6.jpg

Great pics.

The big fella arrived last week, here's a quick crappy shot:

Dsc01625-33.jpg

Fantastic detail in the sculpt - plus the paint is pretty well done, only in person it seems a lot darker around the head and feet than some of the other pieces in the thread - but that's probably just the camera playing tricks. Really happy with rex. :D

Back