What are you reading? Book discussions and reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wofford29

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread to discuss books on the forums so I figured I'd ask...

What's everyone reading and what's your opinion of it?

I'm about to start John Krakauer's latest "Where Men Win Glory"

I believe there was a What Are You Reading thread around... At least I remember seeing it a while back...

Anyway, I just started in "Halo: The Fall Of Reach" by Eric Nylund. The postman dropped it off about an hour ago. I've read the prologue and I have to say it's written really well so far. As a fan of the Halo games I can really imagine, what is going on and how it would look! :rock

I have been reading my Russian mail order bride catalog. There are so many choices I don't know where to begin. I am trying to find the right one for me and one that will hold it's value so I can flip later on.

Finished the new Dan Brown..."The Lost Symbol"...pretty good, not as controversial as DaVinci, but it'll raise a few eyebrows with most religious folks.

I'm currently reading The Seven Sins: The Tyrant Ascending by Jon Land. I can't quite decide if I like it or not.

I intend to read The Lost Symbol at some point, but I'm not in a huge hurry since I find Dan Brown's writing to be subpar. But his plots are interesting. I also thought Angels & Demons was alot better than DaVinci Code.

I agree that Angels was better than DaVinci...the plot felt a lot...I dunno..."faster." It just felt more polished, and the constant threat of another murder around the corner helped push the climax.

This one feels more like DaVinci in the pacing, and it doesn't have nearly as many twists with the "macguffin" - no spoliers, if you've read DaVinci you know what I mean.

I personally think Brown needs to consider changing it up a bit, the basic outline is the same as this one as it has been for all his novels. Thrown Langdon a real storyline curveball.

Overall, though, it's a decent read, though not as good as the other two. Not a "OMG must read now."

In The Flesh by Clive Barker. The only story in this I've truely liked was The Unknown (Candyman). The others are okay. I'm on the last story now. I don't know what goes on in Barker's head but the dude is twisted! :lol Books of Blood was better than this IMHO.

Well, I've finished Halo: Fall Of Reach last week and I have to say it was an awesome book!!! It was really well written and very understandable even for someone like me, who doesn't have English as first language! :rock

Today I started in the second Halo novel, The Flood! :rock

I'm currently reading The Seven Sins: The Tyrant Ascending by Jon Land. I can't quite decide if I like it or not.

For the record, I decided I didn't care for it all that much. :lol

I just finished Lincoln Child's Terminal Freeze. It was pretty good. A bit too much like Relic, which he co-wrote with Douglas Preston. My favorite solo work by Child so far is Utopia, its about a state of the art theme park taken over by terrorists. The park sounds awesome and I wish it were real, and that alone is enough to read the book.

I just started To Kingdom Come by Will Thomas. It's basically Sherlock Holmes and Watson re-imagined, and I swear it had to be an influence on the new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out from a few things I've noticed they have in common. The first book was an excellent read and I have no doubt this one will be as well.

I"m almost finished with The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I like it, and even though I still think Angels & Demons was better, this book is top notch.

I'm so sick of Dan Brown. My dearest brother is currently reading his new novel while I'm trying to learn The Secret...

I'm trying to read "The Hobbit". I haven't read it since I was a child and I wanted to re-read it before the movie is here. At the rate I'm going, I'm not going to make it! :lol

I'm trying to read "The Hobbit". I haven't read it since I was a child and I wanted to re-read it before the movie is here. At the rate I'm going, I'm not going to make it! :lol

That is the shortest book ever. But I did listened to the audiobook. :D

Back