I'm BATMAN: The Definitive Batman 89' Michael Keaton figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AsGoodAsIt_Gittes

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here is my wonderul, wonderful, custom made 89' Batman figure, a nearly impossible figure to find, a collector's dream, the Holy Grail of custom 1/6 figures, made by Hong Kong artist Henry Wayne. This most certainly is the definitive(for now it is) 89' Michael Keaton Batman figure in a 1/6 scale to ever grace the Earth. I was lucky enough to buy one of these awesome pieces for a very reasonable price some time ago.

Check out the picture below,

iambatman.jpg

The Michael Keaton head, and Batman Cowl were re-painted by myself to give it that "darker" appearance. The emblem was also repainted somewhat precisely. Let me know what everyone thinks, I know it's not the greatest background but hopefully Coco finishes my shelves soon so I can display Batman and Joker together in one cool display, and then I can take some awesome pics!

Looks pretty awesome to me! But I cant really tell if it resembles Keaton or not from that angle.........

The body looks stunning, belt upwards. Looks like a professional molded piece. Even the belt. Though wasn't the belt the same colour as the badge?... The mouth area looks as if it's too small for the cowl. Or like it was two separate pieces that got pushed back further into the head accidentally... Giving the illusion a kid is inside the suit.

Was Keatons cape as short as that? the curves seem really Superman short, no?

The figure came with a removable cowl, and the headsculpt had a hairpiece if you wanted to display him as Bruce Wayne. While the sculpt likeness was pretty weak, the lips and eyes are appropriately pouty enough. And you really can't tell once the cowl is in place. I only wish he had finished the line.

The body looks stunning, belt upwards. Looks like a professional molded piece. Even the belt. Though wasn't the belt the same colour as the badge?... The mouth area looks as if it's too small for the cowl. Or like it was two separate pieces that got pushed back further into the head accidentally... Giving the illusion a kid is inside the suit.

Was Keatons cape as short as that? the curves seem really Superman short, no?

I think it's the cowl giving the illusion that the Keaton head is smaller than it looks. But to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the head shrunk for some reason, due to the necessary hairdryer use. See, you have to use a hairdryer to squeeze the head into the cowl, by heating up the neck of the head and the cowl, so that could be the reason right there.

The head sculpt isn't that bad, but I repainted mine with a more realistic skin tone. In person it looks like Michael Keaton to me. And as for the cape, I really have no idea as to how "long" it should be, I just know it's not short, and it looks screen-accurate, I don't remember Michael Keaton's cape dragging on the floor like Bale's did. My only real complaint with the whole figure was that the ears on the cowl weren't pointy enough like cowl used in the film. But other than that it's a superb piece to own.

The head sculpt isn't that bad, but I repainted mine with a more realistic skin tone. In person it looks like Michael Keaton to me.

That is true, how many times has it been said on this board even with Hot Toys pictures for example, seeing it online and owning it is two entirely different things. "photos don't do it any justice"

I don't remember Michael Keaton's cape dragging on the floor like Bale's did. My only real complaint with the whole figure was that the ears on the cowl weren't pointy enough like cowl used in the film. But other than that it's a superb piece to own.

Yeah, you're right. It was never dragging on the floor but I think the tips were a smidge from his heels.

Still a nice piece nevertheless.

3131770145_7dbf9bdc0d.jpg

3132597742_c41cc41c04.jpg

3131770651_9a5e14f4d5.jpg

3131770691_1a1bcc2f78.jpg

3131770519_74c335d3b7.jpg

That is true, how many times has it been said on this board even with Hot Toys pictures for example, seeing it online and owning it is two entirely different things. "photos don't do it any justice"

Yeah, you're right. It was never dragging on the floor but I think the tips were a smidge from his heels.

Still a nice piece nevertheless.

3131770145_7dbf9bdc0d.jpg

3132597742_c41cc41c04.jpg

3131770651_9a5e14f4d5.jpg

3131770691_1a1bcc2f78.jpg

3131770519_74c335d3b7.jpg

Yes! Thank you! Pictures never do the figures justice. Whenever I take a picture of something I always get a different look than desired.

batmanhwca.jpg

I'm sure the Don Vito Corleone figure looks astonishingly realistic in person, pictures still do not do it justice. Just like my displayed figures, they're really nice looking in person, it's just that I have poor lighting and it makes it difficult to take a nice picture. I'm still trying to figure out how to take a picture of my Batman figure under a high beam without flash so it get's that shadowy look where you don't see Keaton's eyes, that's the way to go when displaying him.

As for the cape here is a somewhat better picture of how long it is from a back view....

batmancape.jpg

That looks impressive apart from the already mentioned small face inside the cowl thing. Personally though I'd never be satisfied unless we get an official one, preferably by Hot Toys.

Yeah, he didn't paint his Keaton's eyes for some reason. Does the Keaton head inside his cowl look small? because if it doesn't, we all know it could have been my fault using the hair dryer way too much on my Keaton head.

That looks impressive apart from the already mentioned small face inside the cowl thing. Personally though I'd never be satisfied unless we get an official one, preferably by Hot Toys.

Heh, even when Hot Toys do it's still never right. Only 3 Joker and two Batman attempts.

I so regret getting rid of mine a few years ago...it was like my pride and joy, but i needed the money...*sigh*...Henry didn't paint the eyes so you could display him as Bruce if you chose to do so, otherwise simple paint ap...i remember following this from start to finish over on the BOTB...oh, the good ol' days.

for the doubters on this, blah blah blah Hot Toys can do better...the details on this are absolutely second to none!

Right down to his Air Trainer III's.

M.

Sorry to hear you got rid of yours klocket its very hard to find because it was a limited run and expensive even then.

JV, the head is a bit skinny because the cowl is thick so it would be durable enough to be removed and worn. Don't worry, I don't think you used the hair dryer too much, the cowl always goes back to its original form, thats how the material used is. I see yours is also too tall, this is because the boots' calves are too small. I was thinking of using a TT Slim on this.

Last edited:
I wanted to change the body once, but the costume is stitched on so I just left it alone. You really don't want to be messing with this type of piece, I was already upset when mine fell off my shelf one time, and the cape was scuffed at the top. The suit is very fragile, which is why I treat the figure like a 500 year old mummy when holding it.

You guys must not have seen Pjam's from Sovereign Studios. That's the "Definitive" 89 Keaton custom.

the herny wayne keaton looks very toy like I can't say I share the same opinion.

I have seen Sovereign Studios's Batman and while it looks really great, I can't say I like the cape material and the body seems too stocky. I also feel the head seems slightly too large. Once you shave down the calves on the Henry Wayne figure to bring down his heighth, he really looks like a miniature version of the Keaton Batman. It also has the added benefit of making his cowled head seem more in scale with the body.

However, he lacks poseability, while the Sovereign Studios Batman seems much more able to hold dynamic poses.

I can't really say Henry Wayne's Batman figure is the "Definitive" of all Batman figures...yet. But for now, I think it beats Sovereign Studios' Batman figure and all other custom Batman figures out there. Because it's factory made quality, and no average customizer, or person for that matter can make items of that size with their bare hands. Did you know this Batman figure has accuarately sculpted 89' Nike boots!?

And as for the head everyone keeps bringing up, just because the head looks too "toy-like" doesn't mean I can't get another, more detailed version of Michael Keaton's head and use that under the cowl...then how would it look? Absolutely flawless, but everyone is so fickle with these things. I'm telling you, in person this Batman figure looks beautiful, especially when displayed under a high beam light, seeing that figure cast in a shadow looks just like the real thing in the movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back