The Walking Dead - TV Series on AMC ( Comic and Un-aired Spoilers unwelcome!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Waller

Are you on the square?
Reaction score
From Variety:
https://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007161.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2562

Frank Darabont circles zombies

AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

:banana :banana :banana :banana

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Frank Darabont to Adapt The Walking Dead for AMC

Darabont and Hurd working together = Perfection!

Awesome news!!!!! :chew

WOW and i actually get that channel...now i dont need my fiance to stand next to the tv in her tinfoil underwear...but i still will make her

No ^^^^! I've been thinking that a serial zombie drama would be excellent TV, but I never expected Darabont and Walking Dead. Amazing news!! :rock :chew

lol turd ferguson...its funny cause its big

That's awesome news. This series is still my favorite comic series... just a great read from start to finish. I would LOVE to see what they do with this, could be pretty damn epic. Color me interested.

darabont is one the most under-valued, under-appreciated talents in hollywood today. the mist was a truly brilliant horror film.

so this is certainly great news for genre fans...

I cant make it through Halloween without Fear Fest. :(

darabont is one the most under-valued, under-appreciated talents in hollywood today. the mist was a truly brilliant horror film.

so this is certainly great news for genre fans...

Its on my top 5 best horror films ever. Seriously amazing. Every single second up until the bitter end.

Couldn't agree more with all comments so far, what Darabont could bring to the table with this adaptation is very exciting. All of his forays into horror have been exceptional lest we forget he wrote Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (imho the best of the sequels) and the remake of The Blob, some great scenes in the latter and certainly one of the best horror classic remakes. Summing up can't wait :joy

Frank is the man! And you put him in with zombies as a tv show and thats just gold :clap

Couldn't agree more with all comments so far, what Darabont could bring to the table with this adaptation is very exciting. All of his forays into horror have been exceptional lest we forget he wrote Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (imho the best of the sequels) and the remake of The Blob, some great scenes in the latter and certainly one of the best horror classic remakes. Summing up can't wait :joy

dream warriors and the blob were awesome! in fact darabont should have been the one to remake the blob instead of that talentless idiot rob zombie (sure u've heard the horrible news by now). but i guess darabont doesn't believe in repeating himself, which is more than can be said for zombie, who basically keeps making the same type of movie over and over again. :(

This is good news, Kirkman is the sh_t! QBOTU and Darabont for the win!

Not much new information.

From Comic Book Resources:
https://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24502

Robert Kirkman's acclaimed zombie epic just took one more step towards a fully-fledged life on the small screen.

Variety is reporting that the AMC Network has greenlit a pilot for a "Walking Dead" TV series after reviewing the screenplay adaptation submitted by "Shawshank Redemption" director Frank Darabont. While the step does not ensure that fans will see a full show inspired by the Image Comics series hit the cable airwaves, the fact that a pilot will be committed to film for the channel known for high quality original programming such as "Mad Men" is a good sign for fans of the series.

When Kirkman spoke to CBR about the AMC deal last September, the writer said that a TV adaptation was "the only thing that really makes sense to me. The thing that makes 'The Walking Dead' unique and interesting is that it's a zombie movie that never ends – that's the log line or whatever. To do a zombie movie that's based on that? Kinda dumb."

Kirkman went on to say of Darabont's involvement with the project, "I think a really good indication that he's going to handle the series really well is his recent movie, 'The Mist.' A lot of people don't realize that Frank is a genre guy – he wrote 'The Blob,' he wrote 'A Nightmare on Elm Street 3.' He got his start doing horror stuff and he's a huge horror and sci-fi fan. He's been going to Comic-Con every year just for fun, whether he's putting a movie out or not. He kind of lives this stuff. If you watch 'The Mist,' you'll see that he can do the character development – he's an excellent writer – but 'The Mist' is a big indication that he knows how to handle the subject matter."

According to Variety, the pilot's development will include famed genre producer Gale Anne Hurd ("The Terminator," "The Incredible Hulk"). The network also greenlit a pilot for an adaptation of a Danish crime drama called "The Killing." However, at this point no casting announcements have been made for either show.

Stay tuned to CBR as more information becomes available on the future of "The Walking Dead" on TV!

This is the best ongoing comics series right now IMO. With Darabont at the helm,I'm fully confident this is going to be great. Bring it on!!!!

Back