Hot Toys POTA Gorilla Soldier review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wookster beat me to it...

And the soft hair is what makes this figure. Had it been sculpted, the neck would have had no useful articulation, and getting the head to look forward with a hunched pose would have been impossible.

nooooooooooo................must resist these damn apes........:banghead

they look awesome as hell & would love to have them.

great review MC.

We await the coming of other apes.

SEPT2009002.jpg

Another great review, Michael. I especially liked the part where you mention John Chambers ape design being that of an evolved ape. Being a rabid Ape fan for decades, I've always tried to point this out to Ape bashers... from the people who think that Kubricks apes were more life-like in 2001 as well as those who found the Apes in the Burton POTA re-imagining to be more real. Looking like a real monkey wasn't the point and certainly wasn't Chamber's aim. Sure Rick Baker did an amazing job with his makeups (despite those disappearing chins), but I'll take Chamber's evolved Ape anyday.

Last edited:
if it wasn't for the life like hair,
i would get these.
You really are crazy. :lol You want them less life like?

I really liked the review. I don't understand why you were stressed about the hair not lasting. I think it will last a long time and the only problem I can see with it is dust accumulation and very small spiders and nits moving in. The issue with the rifle grip hand is only due to the reusing of so many of the various parts amongst the three releases. It works so beautifully with the other two, due to them having the same rifle as each other.

I know you'll be looking forward to the other two arriving, especially Gen. Ursus, but, for me, the Soldier is the pick of the bunch, having so many accessories. I wasn't that impressed by the boots myself, and put them on par with Sideshows, the detail being the same. I even think the painted buckles on Sideshows made them look better than these. That's just me.

I think you're going to be a little disappointed with the next two, in comparison. I'm only mentioning it because having them all you're able to compare them with each other. They each have a couple of unique items, but also share so much of everything else.

I know, and love, that you usually review each item on it's own merits, but when I see your enthusiasm and anticipation I think it might have swayed your judgment slightly. Such as, I think the highest star rating for packaging not being ideal. I would think it's just the, at least Hot Toys, standard now, and only deserves two stars. Packaging like HT Ironman offers extra effort and would deserve three stars, saving four stars for top of the line boxes like HT Godfather and Enterbays offerings. Maybe separate them with half stars as is your want.

In no way am I meaning to review your review. I just think in your excitement some of your impressions may have been in haste. So many people read and rely on these reviews, as do I. I think the excitement is great, and is deserved, as a collector. As a reviewer I think it needs to be more tempered. Not that you're not. I'm probably not making myself clear. I think you'll understand better when the General and Captain arrive. Rather than rave on, as I do, I'd like to suggest a group review when you have them all.

Is it assuming too much to expect your future reviews of the remaining HT POTA figures to get 3 1/2 stars? The issues you encountered on the gorilla soldier appear as if they'll merely be echoed on the next two figures.

Pretty cool figure and review either way though.

awesome pics and review jeff!

Thanks.... but this one is Michael's, I do have my review in the bag as well, I did a treble whammy of all three and I'm taking the pics this weekend.
I think this, 'the classic soldier' is the coolest of the bunch though!

Back