IKEA Detolf question.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Wayne

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm not sure it there's already a similar topic regarding this, but I just had a quick question for my fellow freaks here.
Recently within the last year and some change I moved from collecting smaller scale NECA and Mezco type figures, and into sixth scale Hot Toys and Sideshow. However, out of fear of dust, which is severe in my location, I've kept all my new figures safely in their boxes. Yet I've become fed up with not allowing myself to enjoy my recent and expensive purchases. So I tossed my old bookcase and packed away the hundreds of smaller dust-coated figures which it housed. I then purchased the IKEA Detolf glass case, after seeing many satisfied collectors with it here, not to mention the price couldn't be beaten. Today I set up 14 of my most precious 1/6 scale figures in it, including my irreplaceable custom Deckard Android Hunter.

My question is this... just how well does this particular case protect from dust? For those of you who own it, you are aware it's nearly completely sealed off, but there are in fact small gaps between both ends of the door. Nothing ruins a Batman cape like a thin coat of dull gray dust, so this is quite a concern to me.

Also, I would like to inquire if anyone has any recommendations for customizing the Detolf to further eliminate the damage of dust. Perhaps strips of plastic or such, and where I could locate them. It really does mean a lot. Thank you in advance!

Hi, I have several Detolfs, they will allow dust to get in, but I find that generally I will only have to dust inside twice a year, I vacuum regularly (1 or 2 times a week).
you could look at attaching those little strips (like brushes) across the gaps I guess I've also heard plcing a small water fountain in a room helps prevent the dust floating around

I really doubt you need to go to the extremes you are thinking. If dust worries you then leave the door closed - no need for any additional tape/ brush dust excluders arounds the gaps your figures will be fine.

I have a detolf and I threw the glass door away - the light reflecting off it distorted my view into the cabinet and I couldn't see the figures. Sure, dust lands on the figures but literally the tinyest little spec - but I just brush it off and they are fine. Had some figures in there for over a year and none of them are damaged - not even my Orginal Costume Batman.

Just enjoy the figures!!

Last edited:
You could probably also buy some sheets of that clear vinyl substance they use to make removable decals for windows. Or do the Wal-Mart version and just seal up the gaps with some clear tape.

Dusts still find their way into my detolfs, but you'll only notice them at the bottom of the shelves.

Dusts still find their way into my detolfs, but you'll only notice them at the bottom of the shelves.

Thats true i do only notice the dust at the bottom.....but really wats the big deal all you have to do is clean once and a while use those air cans used for keyboards.. the only thing u should worry about is if ur figures are hit being hit by sunlight... not dust lol

Thanks for all the tips guys.

The case isn't near direct sunlight, so I'm not worried about that. Not to sound crazy, but I worry about the dust because I live in the middle of a windy ass desert, and dust here is a real issue. I have to clean my Sony Bravia LCD screen once a week, due to the extreme dust that coats to the screen to the point of distraction. I've tried sealing up this room, to help keep dust out, and it works well. However in the dead of summer it's about 108 degrees here, so I have to open windows and turn on fans to get air flowing. That brings the dust right back. It is quite the hassle.

I live in Vegas so I understand dust, and I use Detolfs; I normally "have" to dust inside them about every 5-6 months. :wave

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>Thanks for all the tips guys.

The case isn't near direct sunlight, so I'm not worried about that. Not to sound crazy, but I worry about the dust because I live in the middle of a windy ass desert, and dust here is a real issue. I have to clean my Sony Bravia LCD screen once a week, due to the extreme dust that coats to the screen to the point of distraction. I've tried sealing up this room, to help keep dust out, and it works well. However in the dead of summer it's about 108 degrees here, so I have to open windows and turn on fans to get air flowing. That brings the dust right back. It is quite the hassle.

It sucks, but that's just the way it goes, it's good to clean your stuff regularly anyway.

I recommend Saran wrap.
Just wrap the entire cabinet in it, and you're done.

2420264787_463a8e63e7.jpg

What about just getting some of those acrylic boxes to put the figures in? You could always do that. I have 3 detolfs filled with vinyl toys and I have yet to see a build up of dust on any of the toys and my shelves are packed. Also I buy new stuff regularly so I am always rearranging things so maybe that helps. I live in AZ so I know how much of a pain the dust can be. The detolf do a good job imo. I have 2 large bookcases and the dust buildup is much much worse on those than in the detolf.

Also you could just get some compressed air (the stuff you use to clean out electronics and dust off the figures lighting. That will blow any dust in the fabric off.

I'll use the compressed air for now. Might try the weather stripping trick later. Thanks guys. All helpful points and ideas. Cheers. :)

The weather stripping stuff works great. Kind of a pain to get it on just right (the adhesive is quite sticky), but once on it keeps almost all dust out. The only dust I get is when I open the door. I also recommend the dioder LED lights.

I hate the lights they sell.

I want something that will not show on the backside and not be intrusive at the top shelf.

I hate the lights they sell.

I want something that will not show on the backside and not be intrusive at the top shelf.

I broke mine on the first day I bought it! My GF used to work in returns at Ikea and she said the lights were one of the things that got returned most.

I did it. Only took me about an hour, but I have the weather stripping evenly applied to both sides of the case. It looks pretty good, as I used a grey colored stripping to match the metal bars within the case. I can hardly notice them, and this should cut down dust to next to none. I hope.
I think I'm going to be happy with this modification. If I change my mind, I can always peel the stripping away and Windex the sticky adhesive residue off from the glass.

Again. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. :)

Not too distracting at all really, thanks for the pics, I may have to do that to to my shelves in the secondary room (doesn't get vacuumed as often)

Back