What are the actual differences?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigisnutter

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm still pretty new to the 1/6 scale market and i just wondered if you guys can point out the actual differences between the Medicom, Marmit and Sideshow dolls/figures? In particular troopers.

I've seen some guys collections and to be honest, i don't see much of a difference myself.

I'd like to eventually get a large collection of troopers to make battallions for nice displays or dios and im just wondering if other brands will be cheaper, but it wouldn't be worth it if they look crap compared to the SS.

A lot of times it really just comes down to preferences as to what troopers you like more than others. Both Sideshow and Marmit are closer to a 1/6 scale so they mix and match better. Some have preferences for one over the other, but in general they seem to end up about on even footing (I have a preference towards Sideshow). Nice thing is all 3 can be had for about the same price.

Sideshow's troopers do have some issues when it comes to the base body being loose, although with a Marmit the base body sucks and most will modify the kit to be more poseable. I think the detail of the armor on the Sideshow is a bit cleaner/sharper, but Marmit does have a nice shine to the armor and their cod piece is not undersized like the Sideshow.

Medicom's are very nice, but suffer from being on the small side like many of their figures. And while on display they seem to fit in fairly well, you can always spot them... also their blasters are cheap looking and hands are sort of small.

Marmits are old.. but it's a testament to how well they were made, that they are still being compared to today's stuff. They only made a couple of armored figures.

Here's a Boba Fett 1-1 comparison
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_110707b.htm

Medicom bodies are also fragile, and the company itself has next to no customer service. Although if you purchase a Medicom directly from Sideshow, you may get some support on replacements than if you had purchased from another store. The Medicom figures never quite aim for realism as well as Sideshow does, but overall they have a uniquely Japanese aesthetic, which I find appealing. Another major issue with Medicom is that they only make A-listers and repaints. Don't expect secondary or obscure characters like Sideshow have given us.

If you're a SW fan, Sideshow is the definitive line without question. They have the most expansive line already, and they have no intent on slowing down anytime soon.

Marmits are old.. but it's a testament to how well they were made, that they are still being compared to today's stuff. They only made a couple of armored figures.

Here's a Boba Fett 1-1 comparison
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_110707b.htm

Medicom bodies are also fragile, and the company itself has next to no customer service. Although if you purchase a Medicom directly from Sideshow, you may get some support on replacements than if you had purchased from another store. The Medicom figures never quite aim for realism as well as Sideshow does, but overall they have a uniquely Japanese aesthetic, which I find appealing. Another major issue with Medicom is that they only make A-listers and repaints. Don't expect secondary or obscure characters like Sideshow have given us. <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

If you're a SW fan, Sideshow is the definitive line without question. They have the most expansive line already, and they have no intent on slowing down anytime soon.

Second that one, Sideshow is the best way to go for SW stuff.

I collect mainly the SSC figs, though I have a few Medicom and a Marmit Figure, If I had my choice I would probably get the Marmits & swap the base body as mentioned, IMO the Marmits just look closer to the on screen Troopers. While I have my favourites each brand has it's issues, Personally my medicoms just can't share shelf space with my Marmit or SSC figures (they just appear too small and child like next to them in their own little group they look real nice though), while my SSC figs look a little more awkward on the shelf and the sculpts aren't quite there IMO esp the Stormtrooper.
Vader though, going by the photo's is simply stunning!

Aye Marmits are great but getting a bit hard to find, plus u might have to pay silly money for them.

you know, i got me another tiefighter pilot and a sandtrooper squad leader at an okay price just recently must have paid less than 100 bucks for each including shipping. im still looking for another at-at driver but it seems to the rarest of all.

you know, i got me another tiefighter pilot and a sandtrooper squad leader at an okay price just recently must have paid less than 100 bucks for each including shipping. im still looking for another at-at driver but it seems to the rarest of all.

Yeah occasionally u can grab em for a decent price. I haven't personally got any of them but i have been tempted.

HEY, did you just outbid me in the sandtrooper auction????:lol

Nope, only thing i've bid on are a couple of cheap 12inch hasbro dolls, a couple i like, i couple have parts i like :p

But i might just go sandtrooper hunting now :rolleyes:

Nah, hope you get it dude and when you do, i'd love to see some pics.

I also am fairly new to 1/6 scale and I think the SS are a much better figure for the price. Medicom is just way to much to justify buying over SS. When it comes down to a figure that SS hasn't made then you really have no choice. My personal preference is Sideshow over Medicom.

it really depends, because sometimes SS dont do that particular figure and its dependent on other 1/6 Co. to develop them, for instance the upcoming R2D2 and C3P0.

The real difference of medicom and SS is size, hot toys is good too

True, but I do like the SS troopers just a touch better all around. I don't think the size issue is really that big. Some people make it sound like the Medi troopers are 8" tall. I have mine with my SS troopers and it looks fine, not like some evil father son day. :lol

Back