The Discovery Channel's The Colony

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Snoopy

Dark Beagle of the Sith
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this advertised on the Discovery Channel and I think this will be interesting to watch.

What would you do in the wake of a global catastrophe? How would you find food? Water? Shelter?
The Colony is a controlled experiment to see exactly what it would take to survive and rebuild under these circumstances. For 10 weeks, a group of 10 volunteers, whose backgrounds and expertise represent a cross-section of modern society, are isolated in an urban environment outside Los Angeles and tasked with creating a livable society.
With no electricity from the grid, no running water and no communication with the outside world, all the volunteers have to work with are their skills and whatever tools and supplies they can scavenge from their surroundings.
Experts from the fields of homeland security, engineering and psychology have helped design the world of The Colony to reflect elements from both real-life disasters and models of what the future could look like after a global viral outbreak.
Over the course of the 10-week experiment, the Colonists must work together to build the necessities of survival, such as a water-filtration system, a battery bank that powered their electricity, a solar cooker, a shower system and a greenhouse – and even some niceties (a coffee maker!).
Tune in Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 10 p.m. ET/PT to see who thrives and who fails to survive

Yeah sounds good i'll grab the 1st eps and see what it's like.

ilike these shows, but I particularly like the historical aspect of them, ie living in 1800s or 1940s etc. this looks to lack that.

There's been a couple episodes aired now and I think it's been interesting enough to continue watching. One thing that does bug me is Mike...is he really that angry or is that just a fabrication to make this show more entertaining? :dunno

I found the trailer for it. :D

:lol :lol :lol

There's been a couple episodes aired now and I think it's been interesting enough to continue watching. One thing that does bug me is Mike...is he really that angry or is that just a fabrication to make this show more entertaining? :dunno

I haven't figured that out yet...he is entertaining to watch.

I'm finding the show very interesting and I'll continue to watch it.

I don't normally watch reality shows, but at least now I know I can run an engine by burning wood. :banana

I think i like this show. The only thing that makes me wonder are the marauders. How can the colonists feel threatened when they have an entire film crew with them on a secure lot. That is the only thing that makes me wonder. I wonder what they were told when they volunteered for this show. I just like to see them build stuff though. The water filtration was genius and I would have never thought of that. I probably would have filtered it through 10 socks :sick This show will hold my interest for a little while.

he water filtration was genius and I would have never thought of that. I probably would have filtered it through 10 socks :sick

I saw the guys on Expedition Africa use charcoal for filtering water as well. Having seen that twice now, I'll file that away for when the apocalypse comes.

I'll have water and electricity. :joy

I just watched the mini-marathon. I couldn't stop watching, but I'm also like this is so fake. The crap with the marauders is stupid. I was actually cracking up. The Marauders should come in and say give us a girl. Let the Colony have to give someone up. I think if they do another season it will be better. But getting passed "I'm on TV" and all the help the get from the crew will never make it feel real. Its almost like Junk Yard Wars.

Yeah it does feel a little fake. I mean they probably would have seriously kicked the crap/killed the two guys that barged in on them in the newest episode after the crap they pulled.

Interesting to watch. But its a show, how real do you expect a show based on post apocalyptic life to be? Obviously it just a situation that was created. We will never get a "real" interpretation unless it really happens, so it’s bound to be forced some. You just have to put the blinders on, relax and watch them build crap out of scraps.

The cast definitely signed some Medical waivers, as with every show, so even though it’s a show, they don’t know what the looters or thugs limits are, so they may really have an fear in their head that they can get hurt. I have to admit though, when that blond got into it with that Chinese Woman it didn’t feel forced at all, and Mike really was scared when that Big Black guy walked into the warehouse. The ex-con also seems to have really reverted to a mode where he really thinks that he’s fighting for survival. The expert was saying how many documented experiments literally force you into thinking a game is real. Although the Looters are obviously forced, they definitely would be around if the situation were real (look at Katrina), and I think it does provide for some interesting situations.

I would have wished they would have better represented the American populace though. What the hell are the chances that after a viral outbreak you have a Aerospace engineer, computer engineer, Machinist, MD, Nurse, and Mechanical engineer all in one group? Throw in a child, a teenager, elderly guy in a wheel chair, a vegetarian, a married couple, a Pre-Madonna chick, and a Fat football watching couch potato. That would definitely be a more accurate representation, and make for better TV. Also, instead of one group, have 2 groups competing in the same area. Get rid of the actors (looters) and force the cast mates to become looters themselves.

Interesting to watch. But its a show, how real do you expect a show based on post apocalyptic life to be? Obviously it just a situation that was created. We will never get a "real" interpretation unless it really happens, so it’s bound to be forced some. You just have to put the blinders on, relax and watch them build crap out of scraps.

The cast definitely signed some Medical waivers, as with every show, so even though it’s a show, they don’t know what the looters or thugs limits are, so they may really have an fear in their head that they can get hurt. I have to admit though, when that blond got into it with that Chinese Woman it didn’t feel forced at all, and Mike really was scared when that Big Black guy walked into the warehouse. The ex-con also seems to have really reverted to a mode where he really thinks that he’s fighting for survival. The expert was saying how many documented experiments literally force you into thinking a game is real. Although the Looters are obviously forced, they definitely would be around if the situation were real (look at Katrina), and I think it does provide for some interesting situations.

I would have wished they would have better represented the American populace though. What the hell are the chances that after a viral outbreak you have a Aerospace engineer, computer engineer, Machinist, MD, Nurse, and Mechanical engineer all in one group? Throw in a child, a teenager, elderly guy in a wheel chair, a vegetarian, a married couple, a Pre-Madonna chick, and a Fat football watching couch potato. That would definitely be a more accurate representation, and make for better TV. Also, instead of one group, have 2 groups competing in the same area. Get rid of the actors (looters) and force the cast mates to become looters themselves.

:lecture

That definitely would make for a more accurate representation & more dramatic show.

And after all those characters die in the first episode, what do you do for a series?

I think they tried to make it like survivor in a post apocolyptic world. The marauders are dumb. I think next season will be much better. I watch this show just to see them make stuff. I am one show behind but I will catch up today.

Back