Medicom Young Indiana Jones, Toys McCoy Indiana Jones reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's an all Indiana Jones night, with something old, and something new...the something new is Medicom's Young Indiana Jones. I don't know that Sideshow will ever get around to adding this guy to the line up, and Medicom's head sculpt is terrific. Too bad the paint does not hold up, and the figure is woefully under accessorized for a high end sixth scale figure.

The guest review from Alex is looking at the something old - the Toys McCoy Indiana Jones. I had the opportunity to buy this guy for under $300 when he was released. Mark that one down as one of those missed opportunities...

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

That McCoy thing is hidious......sorry. I dont know why the dude rated it so high...

I'm sure it was good then, but the SS one beats the ever living hell outta it.

I wouldn't say it's hideous, but it's far below today's standards. Of course, 6 or 7 years ago it was the only high end Indy figure out there, and it was far above the competition. Alas, time does not stand still.

It goes to show just how far things have come!

That McCoy thing is hidious......sorry. I dont know why the dude rated it so high...

I'm sure it was good then, but the SS one beats the ever living hell outta it.

newb.

The figure was considered damn good for it's day.

I know. Did you not read what I said?

But that reviewer claimed it to be perfect. Which it isnt.

It has to be graded based on when it was made, not todays standard. In it's day, it was perfect. This figure showed Sideshow, Hot Toys, Enterbay, Medicom and everyone else what could be made and sold to collectors who wanted more than what Hasbro could give us.

Shouldnt be graded how it is? I mean, I understand how things were different, but still....

I'll look at my favorite toy when I was little...

12InAlienVsPredAliWarrior1b.jpg

If I gave it a score, it would be a *** or so.....I dunno... the fact they gave that body a 4 stars is just odd imo.

Despite his poor way of putting it, I'd have to agree that a review should reflect the current market. So if you're reviewing a product that came out in 2001 in 2009, then it should be compared to what's available now, not to what was available then.

I too kicked myself repeatedly for not getting the TM Indy for $300 when I had the chance. But if I had it today I'd be trying to unload it.

I agree. Things change. While it's certainly a good idea to mention how something fits into historical context, the whole point of a review in my opinion is to show how it compares to other things that are available. Overall, Toys McCoy Indy just doesn't hold up that well compared to newer things (although there are some parts that still do).

That sculpt in particular isn't even close to a 4 star sculpt. I like the Hasbro version better.

Agree with the kid all you want. I'd compare the item with what came out at the same time.

As for the Alien figure, it was junk then and is junk now.

Actually, reviewing it this long after it's release is fairly moot, in terms of a review. It's a vintage item at this point, and no longer compares to current stuff. I love my vintage sixth scale stuff (true vintage 60's stuff), but I wouldn't 'review' it.

If I were going to review it now, I'd compare it against what's currently available. But that in of itself is a tad unfair, since no product from that many years ago should be able to compare.

Agree with the kid all you want. I'd compare the item with what came out at the same time.

As for the Alien figure, it was junk then and is junk now.

Not when it was the only Alien in existance.

It holds nostalgic value.

The hasbro sculpt is about the same as the TM version. It looks like Ford a bit more too.

I agree with Eviface that at the time it showed everyone what could be achieved in 1/6 scale, but it does still hold up today. The sculpt itself captures a certain Ford expression really well - the battered, rueful smile - while the paint job is miles better than any current Sideshow paint job! I've resculpted mine to fit on a Hot Toys long neck and the head looks great on a Truetype.

It's true that the body is now obsolete - although at least none of my TM Indy's ever had loose joints - but the accessories and outfit are still far superior to any other Indy, it's just that they don't, unfortunately, fit too well on a truetype. Only the whip and whipkeeper look too large, and the working zip on the jacket detracts from the overall appearance. However, the leather used on the jacket is so nice that it still looks good on an SSc Indy, if a little too bulky.

If the clothes fitted on a Truetype this would still be highly respected today. The quality - and I'm not even talking about the materials used, but the workmanship - puts the SSC Indy to shame. Lets face it, the SSC Indy has two things going for it - the amazing sculpt and the price. Other than that virtually everything on it needs replacing.

And as for the packaging, I can appreciate that SSC probably had to use the generic KOTCS graphic art for the box, but the Toys McCoy packaging is simply wonderful. Not surprising that it's influenced the box design of every high end action figure since then.

Great reviews, cheers. I remember seeing the old Toys McCoy Indy at a trade fair in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, when he first came out. The guy was willing to go for £120 cash. I thought long and hard and decided £120 was crazy money and skipped it. You have to remember I was just collecting Hasbro SW figs back then... and yes I do now often kick myself thinking back as I would still love to have it in my collection, it's of it's time but has a lot of charm.

The Toys McCoy Indy is for die hard fans. I wouldn´t pay that much for it. I am happy with my SS Indy. And the sculp is way better that the Toys McCoy sculp.

The River Indy is terrible. Yellow Hair ? No Extra Hands ? The Eyes look dead. The Fig looks a little like a Hasbro Toy. Maybe if I am lucky I will snatch him for $40 someday.

Back