Captain America #600 / Reborn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica_600_EptingCover.jpg

https://io9.com/5272327/whats-so-special-about-captain-america-600

What's So Special About Captain America #600?

Marvel Comics have announced that the 600th issue of Captain America is going to break with tradition and be released two days early, but what's so special about June 15th? Well, perhaps it's all to do with news embargoes...

The announcement of the new release date for the issue - the first time in more than a decade that a comic has been released on a day other than Wednesday (Holiday bumps aside) - doesn't give a reason for the shift, but it's worth noting that the new release date is also the day that, according to Marvel, their new series Reborn will "be receiving nationwide press... possibly on par with the media coverage we received during Civil War".

Previously, rumors about Reborn - which, so far, has received no advance publicity or even explanation, in a move that has angered retailers who are having to place orders (and, as said orders will be non-returnable, spend their own money to gamble that the series will find an audience) without information on the contents of the series - have centered around the potential return of the original Captain America, dead since 2006's Captain America #25 (No, there haven't been 575 issues of the comic in the last three years, in case you're wondering; #600 is really Vol. 3 #51. Don't ask), but with the recent release of a preview image for Cap #600 featuring a character from the parallel Earth-series Heroes Reborn, it's now possible that the title may refer as much to the 1990s "Reborn" line/Earth as any specific character. Either way, expect to find the start of Reborn's story in the early release of Captain America #600.

When contacted for this story, Marvel Comics refused to comment.

With a little under a month to go until it hits stores, Marvel Comics has released a preview of Captain America #600, featuring a variety of creators. Marvel's PR for the preview reads: It’s the historic Captain America issue you’ve been waiting for as Eisner-winning writer Ed Brubaker teams up with a group of red hot artists like Butch Guice, Steve Epting, and many more to bring you the extra-sized Captain America #600! It’s the anniversary of the day Captain America died, as the Marvel Universe reflects—and the next jaw dropping chapter in the Captain America mythos begins! Plus, writers Mark Waid and Roger Stern join Brubaker to bring you over 60 pages of all new stories, plus select reprints featuring the work of Stan Lee and a Captain America cover gallery! And just who is the girl without a world? What’s her connection to Captain America? With covers by superstars Alex Ross and Steve Epting, no Captain America fan can miss this issue! Wondering what’s in store for Bucky Barnes and crew? Find out in Captain America #600!

Marvel needs to stop jumping around with their numbering. Pick one or the other. How many books have they done this with now?

Marvel needs to stop jumping around with their numbering. Pick one or the other. How many books have they done this with now?

Yeah, I know. Because I'm currently picking up the "new" series, which is currently on something like #51-60 ish, and when I asked about this issue I brought it up that I wanted this pulled even though it's not the new series. Makes things difficult. I think this is expected to sell out the day of release, so if you have any interest in the story, don't doddle.

these numbers just tie into which volume you are looking at (so I'm assuming 600 refers to the 1st volume, even though this is the 5th volume of Captain America). pretty lame, for a re-launch of a title, if they are just going to number it like the previous volume.

If Steve Rogers comes back it'll be the world's worst kept secret. Even from the issue of Captain America #25 people were giving the over/under on when he'd be back. The thing is the writing on the book has been good and they've given the new Cap a real following. They'll be a lot of happy fans and a lot of pissed off fans. The numbering thing is pissing me off, just put the Volume 1 number in smaller print underneath the rebooted number still there.

<object id="flashObj" width="400" height="300" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="https://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/16681868001?isVid=1&publisherID=184253309" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=26220759001&playerID=16681868001&domain=embed&" /><param name="base" value="https://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="https://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/16681868001?isVid=1&publisherID=184253309" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=26220759001&playerID=16681868001&domain=embed&" base="https://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="400" height="300" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="https://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

I'm looking forward to reading Cap #600 this week. :D

Been realy looking forward to the return of Steve Rogers. I really hope the writers sloooowly ease Rogers back into his role as Cap. I like what's been going on since Bucky assumed the mantle of Captain America, a role he's never been comfortable with as noted by Brubaker.

I need to catch up on this story... Whose body was it then who was all shriveled up and "dead" in the morgue?

Im glad I was wrong (at least I think Im wrong) because I was convinced that the dead Cap was going to end up being a Skrull and the real one was still alive.

Ok cool. thanks. Maybe he was never really dead and we really don't know the full effect of the super soldier serum. I'm not a Cap "expert" or anything but didn't the serum give him healing/recovering type powers?

Just a thought..

Ok cool. thanks. Maybe he was never really dead and we really don't know the full effect of the super soldier serum. I'm not a Cap "expert" or anything but didn't the serum give him healing/recovering type powers?

Just a thought..

Could be. All I know is that Brubaker won't make it cut and dry. he is gonna come back tainted somehow. It will be a full circle with Bucky. Cap is gonna have some personal issue that he has to overcome before he can resume the mantle of cap. Thats my guess anyway.

Could be. All I know is that Brubaker won't make it cut and dry. he is gonna come back tainted somehow. It will be a full circle with Bucky. Cap is gonna have some personal issue that he has to overcome before he can resume the mantle of cap. Thats my guess anyway.

Oooohh sounds good. I always thought the Captain needed alittle bit more "edge" to him, even if he is the ultimate patriot.

Looking forward to this..

Another Article:

CAPTAIN AMERICA RISES FROM THE DEAD FOR NEW SERIES
By ERIN CARLSON, AP Entertainment Writer – Mon Jun 15, 5:18 pm ET
NEW YORK – Captain America is rising from the grave.

The Marvel Comics superhero returns for the five-part series "Captain America Reborn," beginning July 1.
But Marvel won't disclose how he rises from the dead. Executive Editor Tom Brevoort teases that the character has been "on a Vonnegut-esque metaphysical journey," including some soul-searching about his place in the world.

"He hasn't just been lying in a cold grave for these many months," Brevoort says. "While he seems to be dead, his mind and his spirit" are active elsewhere.

Captain America, the superhero alter ego of Steve Rogers, was apparently shot and killed two years ago on the steps of a courthouse in lower Manhattan. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
Rogers' sidekick Bucky Barnes took his place, continuing the series. Brevoort says Barnes will embark on a quest to revive Rogers after tracking down what really happened to him.

"There's definitely a question that must arise, which is `Can there be more than one Captain America?'" says Brevoort.

"And if not, even if there can't, what does this mean for Bucky? Where does he fit in the world now?"

According to Brevoort, some Bucky fans are none too pleased.

"Right this second, it's kind of a split," he says. "When Steve was first killed, there was great outcry. But then as Bucky has taken over as Cap, and has sort of struggled to fill those big shoes, a lot of our readers have really taken to him as a character."

He says Marvel planned to bring back Rogers in one shape or form and, given the general mood of the country, the timing seemed right to resurrect one of the comic book empire's most patriotic icons.

"It feels like there's a desire for hopefulness," he says. "A desire for heroes and for somebody to show us that we can be our better selves, and to help pull us all up by our bootstraps and get out of the situations that we find ourselves in."

Back