Paypal payment "under review"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P1X4R

Super Freak
Reaction score
i just received a paypal payment but i got notice that it's being reviewed by Paypal first. is this something new? i've never received this before.

Wait - Don't ship yet
Payment Status: Under Review
What should I do now?

Wait to ship the item until we've completed Payment Review for this transaction.

* To help protect you, PayPal is reviewing this payment.
* The review process may take up to 24 hours.
* We'll contact you as soon as we reach a decision.
* To remain eligible for Seller Protection, you should not ship the item until we let you know the payment has cleared.

Seller Protection: Not Eligible

I've gotten it before, but they required me to provide proof of shipment to them before they'd release the payment. And it was for a very large sum of money.

Under normal circumstances a debit card is cleared funds. Money taken out of your account. What I think has happened is the buyer has deposited a cheque, into their account, which hasn't yet been cleared. So they don't yet have clear access to the entire balance of their account, which may not be enough to pay for the item in question. So you will probably have to wait till they are clear or the buyer deposits enough cash to cover the cost of the item plus shipping. It could also be that the buyer has automatic debits taken, or pending to be taken from their account, they have overlooked, that have priority.

i just received a paypal payment but i got notice that it's being reviewed by Paypal first. is this something new? i've never received this before.

Wait - Don't ship yet
What should I do now?

Wait to ship the item until we've completed Payment Review for this transaction.

* To remain eligible for Seller Protection, you should not ship the item until we let you know the payment has cleared.

They do this all the time with Ebay sales if you have under 100 feedback. The only thing you can do to protect yourself is always ship with insurance and confirmation. Then put in your tracking number. It sucks, and that's why people have been ^^^^^ing about Ebay. It takes so long to get your money. Luckily I have had good buyers and no problems.

It does not take 7 days :rolleyes:
It takes 24 hours. I just paid Mesa the same way last week. It changed the next day to buyer protection "eligible" and he shipped. BTW thanks for the Morgul Lord LSB I just got home and opened it :rock

Under normal circumstances a debit card is cleared funds. Money taken out of your account. What I think has happened is the buyer has deposited a cheque, into their account, which hasn't yet been cleared. So they don't yet have clear access to the entire balance of their account, which may not be enough to pay for the item in question. So you will probably have to wait till they are clear or the buyer deposits enough cash to cover the cost of the item plus shipping. It could also be that the buyer has automatic debits taken, or pending to be taken from their account, they have overlooked.

I can tell you that is not the case either.

It does not take 7 days :rolleyes:
It takes 24 hours. I just paid Mesa the same way last week. It changed the next day to buyer protection "eligible" and he shipped. BTW thanks for the Morgul Lord LSB I just got home and opened it :rock

Umm... not necessarily true. If you are using Ebay and your feedback.

Wait - Don't ship yet
What should I do now?

Have you checked your Paypal account for payment status? You should be able to reviw the details of the payment transaction.

Does your email state anywhere about payment type? Sounds like your buyer may have used an eCheck.

When a buyer uses an eCheck from a U.S. bank account, the transaction is held as "pending" for 3-4 business days (Canadian 7-8 business days), until the electronic funds clear their bank.

I have had this happen to me as well. Only I was the buyer. I do not remember if the funds were taken from a debit card or directly from my account. But I have always paid the same way (since I stopped using Money Orders). And within about the last 9 months to a year, they payments started getting holds put on them. Almost got me a negative feedback from a seller who required "Immediate Payment". Fotunately they were understanding that I was not used to whatever change was made and they could at least tell that the payment was submitted immediately.

Please explain why or the circumstances why not. It'd be very informative to all.

Ummm. The circumstances are, I have the money?

I think where the confusion is this is just one of many new payBay policies (and theres an assload of them).

This was an off eBay transaction, so eBay feedback had nothing to do with anything. However yeah if you are a new eBay seller with few feedback or bad feedback Paypal will lock the funds until your tracking number clears as delivered, or the buyer leaves positive feedback. IF! It was an eBay transaction in the first place.

In this case lets suppose I am the buyer from P1X4R. If you've ever noticed now when initiating a payment, the default method of payment is always your bank account now (or at least mine is and I have no idea how to change it). Every single time you have to manually change the method of payment to credit/debit. This sends you to a tricky confirmation screen, where there are two options and the option you originally wanted (yes I wanna pay by CC) is almost camouflaged lol. And the one thats super highlighted and extremely easy to see is "no I wanna pay by bank". A nice little payBay tactic to get you to screw up and choose pay by bank. Which as we know in the event of an off eBay transaction gives you little to no protection whatsoever in the event of a fast scammer. At least Paypal will not assume any damages for you and thats the big thing.

They highly discourage over and over again through these tactics use of credit card, because they know you can do a chargeback if needed, and if a scammer takes the money before you file a complaint then guess what, Paypal gets the chargeback damage. Paypal would much rather have you the customer screwed by the scammer instead of them, so always the "easiest fastest way! TM" will be to use your bank account. Which clears instantly!

Why a credit card/debit card doesnt clear instantly (even though every other online retailer and store in the world seems to do it) and needs 24hr review, hmmmm. Why indeed paypal?

Ummm. The circumstances are, I have the money?

I think where the confusion is this is just one of many new payBay policies (and theres an assload of them).

This was an off eBay transaction, so eBay feedback had nothing to do with anything. However yeah if you are a new eBay seller with few feedback or bad feedback Paypal will lock the funds until your tracking number clears as delivered, or the buyer leaves positive feedback. IF! It was an eBay transaction in the first place.

In this case lets suppose I am the buyer from P1X4R. If you've ever noticed now when initiating a payment, the default method of payment is always your bank account now (or at least mine is and I have no idea how to change it). Every single time you have to manually change the method of payment to credit/debit. This sends you to a tricky confirmation screen, where there are two options and the option you originally wanted (yes I wanna pay by CC) is almost camouflaged lol. And the one thats super highlighted and extremely easy to see is "no I wanna pay by bank". A nice little payBay tactic to get you to screw up and choose pay by bank. Which as we know in the event of an off eBay transaction gives you little to no protection whatsoever in the event of a fast scammer. At least Paypal will not assume any damages for you and thats the big thing.

They highly discourage over and over again through these tactics use of credit card, because they know you can do a chargeback if needed, and if a scammer takes the money before you file a complaint then guess what, Paypal gets the chargeback damage. Paypal would much rather have you the customer screwed by the scammer instead of them, so always the "easiest fastest way! TM" will be to use your bank account. Which clears instantly!

Why a credit card/debit card doesnt clear instantly (even though every other online retailer and store in the world seems to do it) and needs 24hr review, hmmmm. Why indeed paypal?

yep, i like how ebay makes you change to CC everytime you want to pay, or better yet if you have a balance in paypal account, you don't even get a choice you have to use it first.
they've caught me a few times, that i forget to change to CC. 95% of the time i pay with CC though.

Back