Some guidelines for dealing with pro sculptor commissions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Some of the pro sculptors have contacted me and made some requests that I think are quite reasonable and we will enforce here. This is mainly about sculptors that work for collectible companies and may or may not take commissions on the side.

Or course some sculptors work differently, and I don't think this would apply to Chris Howes or Spenser as they have established how they work. But if you're thinking of soliciting some of the others, please keep these guidelines in mind.

-Sculptors hate group projects. If you decide you want to do a particular commission, you are the only person the sculptor wants to hear from. You will negotiate the price and it won't be based on how many people you've been able to solicit for a casting, it will based on what you are willing to pay for the original sculpt. You will be responsible for dealing with anyone else that you want to sell a casting to. Or course you could make a deal for the artist to make casts, but he'll make them for a set price a piece and send them to you and you'll send them out to anyone else you've sold them to.

-Don't post a thread - "I'm thinking of asking [super pro sculptor] to do such and such character. Would you be interested? It implies that this may be a possibility when in actuality, it probably isn't.

-Don't post a thread - "I've asked [super pro sculptor] to do such and such character. Would you be interested? It implies that this may be a possibility when in actuality, it probably isn't.

-If you do ask a pro to sculpt something for you and you're quoted a price - that's confidential. Different projects cost different amounts and it's not really anyone's business but the sculptor and customer. If you plan to recoup part of the cost from selling casts, price them based on what you think people will pay - no one needs to know what the project cost you.

-Don't bug sculptors about doing a project. If they say they don't have a spot in their schedule, that doesn't mean to PM them every 2 days, 2 weeks or even 2 months. If they're interested but don't have a spot in their schedule, they'll say "check back in 2 months". But if they aren't interested don't bug them about it.

Wow, I didn't even know this was a problem. Sounds like common sense to me.

I guess this thread is directed towards me. LOL. I talk to Andy and he said he doesnt think its a good idea so if you can lock up the threads I promise not to copy the Maul head. And I just wanted to a say sorry if I pissed anyone off. I didnt really think this whole thing trough.

I guess this thread is directed towards me. LOL. I talk to Andy and he said he doesnt think its a good idea so if you can lock up the threads I promise not to copy the Maul head. And I just wanted to a say sorry if I pissed anyone off. I didnt really think this whole thing trough.

It's not directed towards anyone person - but I've noticed a trend here and just want to nip it in the bud.

What if your on a thread talking about wanting to have figures made and a sculptor comes on and says, "hey when Im done with what Im doing I would like to do that"
can you then post an interest thread, to see who would like to get in on it? Or is it NO interest threads Allowed at all?
The sculptor seems interested in doing a commission w/o being approached.

What if your on a thread talking about wanting to have figures made and a sculptor comes on and says, "hey when Im done with what Im doing I would like to do that"
can you then post an interest thread, to see who would like to get in on it? Or is it NO interest threads Allowed at all?
The sculptor seems interested in doing a commission w/o being approached.

That would be okay - if you've contacted the sculptor and ascertained that he actually would like to do it, and you have the funds and willingness to commission it yourself.

Good points Dave... last thing we want is for the sculptors to stop being a part of the community :lecture

D. Dave
Thank you for making things very clear, I for one feel I've already bent a few of these rules & apologize to the sculptors. They are doing US a service, they don't need to be pestered/solicited for work. Nor do we need to make ongoing tallies for required numbers to get the work green lighted. Sure they have enough going on as it is. I hope more people read this thread, in fact, I'd like to see all members read it. It's important

Agree 100%!

Bravo! :clap

What this guy said lol

In all reality though, there is a side of me that likes the fact of being contacted so much.. Sometimes.. When I get contacted by someone, as they understand that I DO already have work lined up, it's not a big deal in that it keeps the idea fresh in my mind, and I like talking to people lol

Last edited:
Some of the pro sculptors have contacted me and made some requests that I think are quite reasonable and we will enforce here. This is mainly about sculptors that work for collectible companies and may or may not take commissions on the side.

Or course some sculptors work differently, and I don't think this would apply to Chris Howes or Spenser as they have established how they work. But if you're thinking of soliciting some of the others, please keep these guidelines in mind.

-Sculptors hate group projects. If you decide you want to do a particular commission, you are the only person the sculptor wants to hear from. You will negotiate the price and it won't be based on how many people you've been able to solicit for a casting, it will based on what you are willing to pay for the original sculpt. You will be responsible for dealing with anyone else that you want to sell a casting to. Or course you could make a deal for the artist to make casts, but he'll make them for a set price a piece and send them to you and you'll send them out to anyone else you've sold them to.

-Don't post a thread - "I'm thinking of asking [super pro sculptor] to do such and such character. Would you be interested? It implies that this may be a possibility when in actuality, it probably isn't.

-Don't post a thread - "I've asked [super pro sculptor] to do such and such character. Would you be interested? It implies that this may be a possibility when in actuality, it probably isn't.

-If you do ask a pro to sculpt something for you and you're quoted a price - that's confidential. Different projects cost different amounts and it's not really anyone's business but the sculptor and customer. If you plan to recoup part of the cost from selling casts, price them based on what you think people will pay - no one needs to know what the project cost you.

-Don't bug sculptors about doing a project. If they say they don't have a spot in their schedule, that doesn't mean to PM them every 2 days, 2 weeks or even 2 months. If they're interested but don't have a spot in their schedule, they'll say "check back in 2 months". But if they aren't interested don't bug them about it.

I see some of these basic rules being broken again. Commission threads continually pop up from a second party asking how many people would be interested in a certain customizers work.

Some of these threads the customizer has never even posted in to confirm they are legit threads.

For the sake of the customizer and all potential buyers, shouldn't a thread be created by the actual customizer to legitimize the thread?

Back