Why do you like The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit? (books/movies)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSCORP

Super Freak
Reaction score
Be specific. Is it the adventure? The nature? The races? Or do you just like Hobbits? LOTR is pretty new to me. (2001) With the movies i became interested again. I read the Hobbit in 7th grade but it never really stuck. And i plan on reading LOTR soon. ( i read the hobbit again last fall and really dug it)

I think the reason i am starting to become more and more interested is the Nature. How they talk about the lands, the beasts, the forests etc. (little things like mentioning Hawthorn berries in the Hobbit) And of course the Mystic creatures. It's all still fairly new to me, again 2001. I don't know a lot of things in depth, like The Grey Havens etc. Why the wizards were sent to ME. So i'm still learning. (i'm sure a lot of this will come with reading the book)

But i just wanted to get an idea of why others specifically like The LOTR universe.

:frodo

Re: Why do you like Lord of the Rings?

The beginning of each movie with the narration of the Ring's history still gives me goosebumps.

What can you say, PJ spared no expense on the scenes/sets, actors/actresses, or the props. Huge production value. It will be hard for any trilogy to do what this movie has accomplished.

Edit: and Fantasy is my favorite genre to read/watch. More so than sci-fi, horror, or comics.

Re: Why do you like Lord of the Rings? (books/movies)

When you ask "Why do you like Lord of the Rings", are you specifically referring to Peter Jackson's films, or the entire story as a whole?

When you ask "Why do you like Lord of the Rings", are you specifically referring to Peter Jackson's films, or the entire story as a whole?

I think Krayt meant the books, which I realized after posting. :(

I read most of the trilogy when I was in high school, but the movies really brought about new life and created a whole new era of fans.

I enjoy a tale of good vs evil
And LOTR is one of the best stories out there.

its just a great story and tolkien was a literary genius, just so great to read :D.

plus it has goblins in it :banana:banana:banana :lol

The story itself is amazing. The adventure, character development, the meanings of the story. That doing what's right isn't always the easiest thing to do and that risking oneself is something that has to be done. That goes for several things like getting rid of the ring, Aragorn going ahead and accepting his fate, etc. That Friendship/Fellowship are something we should cherish and take to heart making it something of a bigger part in our lives.

I could go on but thats just the tip of the iceberg.

The are decent movies that are well made and cast. I won't ever bother with the books though.

I love the movies because of the richness of the story and the characters in it, same with the books, I was very intrigued by the Númenóreans and their journey through Middle Earth and off course the various other cultures. The Gods and demigods.

this may sound sappy but i really like the story cuz of the friendship/companionship aspect. i love how sam gives all his food and water to frodo and then carries him up Mt. Doom when he can't walk anymore. i also like the friendship between legolas and gimli which is built upon more in the book. especially the helms deep battle and afterwards when they make a pact to visit the forest and the caves after the war is all over.

also that part in the film when gandalf is talking about death to pippin is one of my favorite scenes. it almost makes me all weepy.:( like i said. i'm wimpy.:eek:

all this talk about LOTR has made me decide to go watch the films right now. haven't seen them for at least a year. and it's a boring sunday evening with nothing to do but wait for work tomorrow.

The story itself is amazing. The adventure, character development, the meanings of the story. That doing what's right isn't always the easiest thing to do and that risking oneself is something that has to be done. That goes for several things like getting rid of the ring, Aragorn going ahead and accepting his fate, etc. That Friendship/Fellowship are something we should cherish and take to heart making it something of a bigger part in our lives.

I could go on but thats just the tip of the iceberg.

This is pretty much me as well. Its the story. I do enjoy the poetry and the language of it, but sometimes it gets a little long winded too.

The diversity of the characters and their roles in the story is really cool too.

LOTR's is something i too only got into around 2001. I had read the hobbit, and started fellowship, but when i was way too young to really stick with it. So after I saw fellowship, I read all the books again, and just havn't been the same since! :)

I even took a class on Tolkien and have read many of his obscure works. He is one of my favorite authors, and one of the most fascinating to study as well.

I love LOTR's for so many reasons. First, i'll say some for the movies:
Incredible and beautiful landscapes, jumped right out at you like they were from the book. NZ was the perfect place for Middle Earth! Great ensemble acting. I get chills in the prologue, I remember the first time I saw Gandalf fall, i was just barely able to breathe. It felt like such a kick to the gut, because i had no clue about him returning as Gandalf the White. I'd only ever heard of Gandalf the Grey. So yeah, that scene was hard. Sean Bean played a ^^^^ of a guy, and yet I felt he was the most human, and sympathetic character in some ways. I still get misty when he dies and Aragorn leans down to kiss his forehead. And that is just fellowships huge moments for me! Needless to say i have so many favorite scenes that just jump out at me.. from helms deep, to the argonath, shelob, theoden and the charge of the Rohirrim. the entire battle of gondor. those movies just have perfectly done scenes from the books, and very few books ever get that type of justice done when they are turned to movies. Freaking Balrog is amazing, same with Gollum and the beautiful weapons and props and miniatures. I'm just in love with it all.

As for the books, they are on an even higher level for me. They drive home all the themes that the movie could sometimes only hint at. To read the silmarillian and the other history of middle earth books gives you such an insight into the whole picture. Tolkien just created this entire world.. galaxy.. universe even to tell his stories. It is beautiful! The poetry and songs are fun, and the way he talks about nature and the passage of time always makes me dream of visiting far off lands.. But of course it is at the root one of the greatest stories ever told. It combines all the great legends and myths and struggles and makes them personal to the reader. It pulls you in and makes you want to be a part of that world.

I love the lord of the rings because it makes me want to be a hobbit.
or a ranger, riding in the north with strider. or a rider of rohan! Or so many other possible roles that seem so much more desirable than reality.

I know this probably sounds stupid..
But a lot of times, i'd much rather live like that. Real life with kings and queens and knights and stuff pretty much sucked for most people.
But in those books, and movies.. life seems great. You have nobility, and honor. Swords are so much cooler than guns. Horses instead of cars. You sleep under the stars, and breathe fresh air. You can fall in love and raise a family and not worry about all the stupid crap we have to worry about today.

I'm not trying to be naive about it. Obviously that life, even in middle earth would be full of hardships.

But honestly, i look around at my life.. and it blows sometimes. So worried about money, and a job, and wars, and the economy and violence. And everything is so complicated.
I think sometimes i just really appreciate the simplicity of life in middle earth.
Smoking some pipe weed with your pals, and having a drink.
And if for some reason some jerk starts a fight, they are there to get your back. Not like most friends today.
And if things really go to crap, you have people to help you.
And if you somehow face death, you can do it with honor.

Some guy stabbed an old lady outside of toys r us the other day in broad daylight. For no reason. He even stuck around so he could get caught. They think it was a gang thing.. but he stabbed her dozens of times until she died.

In middle earth, the bad guys are trolls, or orcs, or evil wizards or dark lords, or maybe slimy white guys who look a little shady..
and Samwise Gamgee never had to come home to see rosie and his kids with their throats slashed or something.

morbid? yes.
but honest!
It's escapism. It's fantasy. It's uplifting.

It brings honor and love to a world that mostly seems to lack anything even closely resembling those things nowadays.

I realize that those two cents were probably more like 2 bucks. Sorry. :)

LOTR's is something i too only got into around 2001. I had read the hobbit, and started fellowship, but when i was way too young to really stick with it. So after I saw fellowship, I read all the books again, and just havn't been the same since! :)

I even took a class on Tolkien and have read many of his obscure works. He is one of my favorite authors, and one of the most fascinating to study as well.

I love LOTR's for so many reasons. First, i'll say some for the movies:
Incredible and beautiful landscapes, jumped right out at you like they were from the book. NZ was the perfect place for Middle Earth! Great ensemble acting. I get chills in the prologue, I remember the first time I saw Gandalf fall, i was just barely able to breathe. It felt like such a kick to the gut, because i had no clue about him returning as Gandalf the White. I'd only ever heard of Gandalf the Grey. So yeah, that scene was hard. Sean Bean played a ^^^^ of a guy, and yet I felt he was the most human, and sympathetic character in some ways. I still get misty when he dies and Aragorn leans down to kiss his forehead. And that is just fellowships huge moments for me! Needless to say i have so many favorite scenes that just jump out at me.. from helms deep, to the argonath, shelob, theoden and the charge of the Rohirrim. the entire battle of gondor. those movies just have perfectly done scenes from the books, and very few books ever get that type of justice done when they are turned to movies. Freaking Balrog is amazing, same with Gollum and the beautiful weapons and props and miniatures. I'm just in love with it all.

As for the books, they are on an even higher level for me. They drive home all the themes that the movie could sometimes only hint at. To read the silmarillian and the other history of middle earth books gives you such an insight into the whole picture. Tolkien just created this entire world.. galaxy.. universe even to tell his stories. It is beautiful! The poetry and songs are fun, and the way he talks about nature and the passage of time always makes me dream of visiting far off lands.. But of course it is at the root one of the greatest stories ever told. It combines all the great legends and myths and struggles and makes them personal to the reader. It pulls you in and makes you want to be a part of that world.

I love the lord of the rings because it makes me want to be a hobbit.
or a ranger, riding in the north with strider. or a rider of rohan! Or so many other possible roles that seem so much more desirable than reality.

I know this probably sounds stupid..
But a lot of times, i'd much rather live like that. Real life with kings and queens and knights and stuff pretty much sucked for most people.
But in those books, and movies.. life seems great. You have nobility, and honor. Swords are so much cooler than guns. Horses instead of cars. You sleep under the stars, and breathe fresh air. You can fall in love and raise a family and not worry about all the stupid crap we have to worry about today.

I'm not trying to be naive about it. Obviously that life, even in middle earth would be full of hardships.

But honestly, i look around at my life.. and it blows sometimes. So worried about money, and a job, and wars, and the economy and violence. And everything is so complicated.
I think sometimes i just really appreciate the simplicity of life in middle earth.
Smoking some pipe weed with your pals, and having a drink.
And if for some reason some jerk starts a fight, they are there to get your back. Not like most friends today.
And if things really go to crap, you have people to help you.
And if you somehow face death, you can do it with honor.

Some guy stabbed an old lady outside of toys r us the other day in broad daylight. For no reason. He even stuck around so he could get caught. They think it was a gang thing.. but he stabbed her dozens of times until she died.

In middle earth, the bad guys are trolls, or orcs, or evil wizards or dark lords, or maybe slimy white guys who look a little shady..
and Samwise Gamgee never had to come home to see rosie and his kids with their throats slashed or something.

morbid? yes.
but honest!
It's escapism. It's fantasy. It's uplifting.

It brings honor and love to a world that mostly seems to lack anything even closely resembling those things nowadays.

I realize that those two cents were probably more like 2 bucks. Sorry. :)

Good, well-thought out answer. Don’t worry about the long post, I do the same. My personal motto is why say something in 10 words when you can say it in 100?

LOTR (the novels and Peter Jackson’s masterful adaption of the books) has a number of themes that resonate with myself as well as other LOTR fans around the world. But, I am at work so I cannot take the time to write a long missive/communiqué/thesis, so I will post little “bites” when I get the chance about the themes and reasons why I am such a big LOTR fan.

Theme #1: Companionship, Friendship, and Fellowship: LOTR does a fantastic job of illustrating the nature and selflessness of Companionship, Friendship, and Fellowship on both the micro level (the bonds between the Fellowship of the Ring, and on an even smaller scale, the four hobbits, and between Frodo and Sam) and macro level (the alliance between Gondor and Rohan). The heroes are willing to give their lives for each other and the greater good and goal of destroying the One Ring. Peter Jackson does a fine job showing the depth of the Fellowships bond throughout the film(s): the unlikely friendship between a dwarf and an elf, Sam’s devotion and friendship to Frodo, etc. The details are very subtle, but Boromir’s affection and protectiveness towards the hobbits (specifically Merry and Pippin) in the films illustrated this as well: it was Boromir who taught Merry and Pippin how to fight; Boromir carried Merry and Pippin during the Fellowship’s attempt to pass through Caradhras, and of course, Boromir gave his life to defend Merry and Pippin, whom he referred to as the little ones. Sam’s friendship and devotion to Frodo and his quest is profound. Sam takes it to heart that he must help Frodo reach Mordor and the Crack of Doom, and Sam’s optimism and selflessness makes him the unsung hero, as many fans, know. One of my favorite scenes in trilogy is in the extended edition of the Two Towers. It comes after the Three Hunters first meet up with Gandalf the White in Fangorn. They have made camp for the night; Gandalf is smoking from his pipe, and Aragorn gets up to join him. Gandalf reassures Aragorn that leaving Frodo was the right thing to do, and that the quest is Frodo’s alone, to which Aragorn replies “He’s not alone. Sam went with him”. The next sequence is a fantastic testament to Sir Ian McKellen’s acting and his ability to convey emotion through non-verbal clues: “Did he?” says Gandalf, with a raised eye brow and a slight look of surprise. “Good…very good”, he finishes, and you see the glimmer of optimism and hope in Gandalf’s eyes. Great scene; I may have described it wrong, as it’s been a while since I watched the films (blasphemy, I know).

Last edited:

ahh man.. that scene with Aragorn and Gandalf talking about Frodo always gets to me.. it looks like they are both about to break down and start bawling! haha..

i love the friendships and fellowship in those books and in the movies.. you can really tell how much war friendships meant to Tolkien, and how much they influenced his work.

ahh man.. that scene with Aragorn and Gandalf talking about Frodo always gets to me.. it looks like they are both about to break down and start bawling! haha..

i love the friendships and fellowship in those books and in the movies.. you can really tell how much war friendships meant to Tolkien, and how much they influenced his work.

True. That is something I'll never know, having never served in the military or gone to war, but the companionship of being brothers in arms, knowing that the men you serve with may one day save your life, or you may save theirs, but you're right, his experiences and friendships during the war heavily influenced Tolkien.

Last edited:

I can't specifically pinpoint what it is that I like about Tolkien's stuff in general, but whenever I really get into reading or listening to them (Recorded Books audiobooks are awesome), I find myself looking forward to the next time that I get to pick up where I left off. I don't find myself doing that with anything else that I read, just stuff related to middle-earth.

Back