BIOSHOCK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Gore Verbinski Says No To Pirates 4; Yes to Bioshock
Clue. Cuddly CG animals. The soul-sucking effects of MMORPG's. Bioshock.

What do these things have in common? Gore Verbinski's making a movie about each of them. The man clearly has eclectic tastes. Having just finished making Disney 2.6 billion dollars with the “Pirates of the Caribbean” trilogy, he's decided he's through with Pirates and is focusing on other projects. Fortunately, he hasn't gotten all the high sea adventure out of his system just yet because Bioshock appears to be his next project.

We all know Hollywood hasn't had a very good track record with video game based movies but Bioshock is perfectly suited for it in ways that few other games are. The story is detailed and engrossing, but could still be conveyed within two hours. Many games either lack the substance to fill a two hour film or have so much of it that it can't possibly be compressed into that time without losing it's meaning.

The game was filled with stunning and often disturbing visuals that were very cinematic in their presentation. I can see some whole scenes being lifted straight from the game and dropped right into the movie, unchanged. And the action, which often focused on using the environment to your advantage against either numerically or physically superior foes would also translate well.

I'm pleased to hear that this has finally been moved to the front burner.

Bioshock is up there with Half Life in my book for one of the greatest games all time. Just so much fun and the art direction was nothing short of astounding.

I hope the vision of Rapture is not destroyed in the translation or I'll be very upset.

i have literally fallen asleep during every one of his pirates movies. he is clueless when it comes to pacing and narrative.
so, this does not bode well for an action/horror game.

I honestly have never seen a Potc movie. I saw about literally 2 mins of the first one, years ago, at a friends while we waited for his girlfriend to get changed.

I may have to watch them now.

I honestly have never seen a Potc movie. I saw about literally 2 mins of the first one, years ago, at a friends while we waited for his girlfriend to get changed.

from my experience, unless you're a girl you won't get much out of them.

Well I hope, or better, he should be forced to as the director, sit and play through the entire game so he understands the source material.

I really hate when they only use the title to draw a crowd and then go with something entirely new story wise. Just call it something else at that point and save yourself the money spent attaining title rights.

Watch the first one, it's the best---the other two aren't that great--only for their effects.

Well I liked the PotC movies, but I'm a girl so maybe prefused is right.

I'm so excited that he's going to do BioShock! What an awesome, eery game. Now I want to play it again.

Clicky.
imhappyplz.gif

Bioshock is quite frankly, one of the best FPS games that I've ever played, only 2nd to the Half-Life series (and I know that many of you have the same sentiment). If a Bioshock movie does get produced, they better make sure that it lives up to the high standard that was set by the game.

I think it'll be an awesome movie. Just imagine being in a movie theater, hearing the deep moan of the Big Daddy off in the distance---that was already scary in the video game, it'll be crazy in a movie.

I would be game for a BioShock movie. Right up until they announce a PG-13 rating. :rotfl
exactly. this guy doesn't have the balls (or talent) to make an R-rated movie. bioshock was never intended for a wide PG-13 audience.
do not get your hopes up, people. this is going to be a train wreck.

exactly. this guy doesn't have the balls (or talent) to make an R-rated movie. bioshock was never intended for a wide PG-13 audience.
do not get your hopes up, people. this is going to be a train wreck.

Videogame movies often end up bad :monkey2.

Well, the FIRST Pirates film was the only good one IMHO. As for a PG-13 rating...hmmmm, Bioshock should truly be a R, but I'll reserve judgment until the final delivery.

The one things that the filmmakers CAN NOT change is the Art Direction and the Music of the film. Those really distinguished the game and shouldn't be changed for the film.

Verbinski is a great comedic director and can do action as well. Even Mouse Hunt was decent and the Pirate movies are all well done. I take it Bioshock is more of a horror thing though - I guess he's trying to branch out.

Verbinski is a great comedic director and can do action as well. Even Mouse Hunt was decent and the Pirate movies are all well done. I take it Bioshock is more of a horror thing though - I guess he's trying to branch out.

Which already smells like failure. Stick to what you're good at but if you're adamant about "branching out" and doing something different at least have the common sense to start off small. Enjoyed the game. Waiting for part 2. No desire to see this train wreck when it hits the screen for 2 weeks before going straight to DVD. I'll catch it a couple months later on skin-a-max, late night. :D

Why is it automatically assumed that this movie will suck? The pirate sequels sucked, yes, but he always handled critters and action extremely well, and seems like he's at least a competent director.

Why is it automatically assumed that this movie will suck? The pirate sequels sucked, yes, but he always handled critters and action extremely well, and seems like he's at least a competent director.

Because 9 times out of 10 movies based on videogames suck. Name 5 movies based on videogames that are generally accepted as "great" films? I'll wait.. :D

Back