• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Rules/Guidelines and Information for Buying.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adoptedscot

You wish it, I dish it...
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys & gals,

I thought I would post this through here as new members do not yet have full access to the For Sale section and the Rules and guidelines listed there.

As we have increased in numbers I thought it prudent that all members have access to this general information.
I have not included the Rules and Regulations relating to the For Sale Forum because this is the WTB area. This information is really from the POV of a buyer on how to protect themselves as they are the ones starting the threads in this area and a lot of the time they are new members so are not sure how to go about it.

Here are the Rules from Dave to help towards a successful transaction:
The For Sale/Trade section is for forum members to trade and sell items with other forum members. Like any internet marketplace the rule of "buyer beware" applies.

www.sideshowcollectors.com, it's administrator, owner and moderators have no involvement with any transactions that take place here and cannot be held liable for any failed transaction nor can it help in tracking down a deliquent member.

GUIDELINES

Some general guidelines apply when dealing with other forum members:
1) Check the feedback thread in this forum. If the member you're dealing with isn't listed, ask for references of previous deals.

2) Never send an item before payment is received.

3) Seller and Buyer should ask for each other's ebay user names and check each other's feedback on ebay.

4) Don't deal with someone who has a low post count without references.

5) Get references.

6) Beware of private messages that solicite you to buy something. If they don't have enough posts to post in commerce, and they are trying to get you to buy something from PMs, I'd say the transaction is too risky.

New rule from Dave:

"If you receive a Sideshow Gift card for free, we're not going to allow them for sale here. If you need to sell it - take it to ebay.

I do encourage people to give away their gift cards. If you've already used one for the promotion it's no good to you anyway - please share with a fellow Freak."

New rule:

One thread per person at a time. Put all your items in the title

What we see a lot of is someone starts a thread searching for an item. Then they receive a pm from a member saying they have this item and will sell for $$/££ etc.
The FIRST thing the Opening Poster/Buyer needs to do is check the Feedback of the person who contacted them in the Feedback thread that is next to this one. Jen kindly keeps that thread well up to date :rock.
Regardless of the person's post count or term of membership, ALWAYS check their Feedback first :lecture
If the person contacting/selling is new/has no feedback/low post count then ask for references or eBay ID, photograph of the item with a newspaper/paper with persons name and date on it (basically asking for proof of posession).

Do not deal until you are happy and satisfied to do so. It is your money and your decision at the end of the day, we can only give this advice on how to try and be safe as possible.
Pay using Paypal/Credit Card.
Communication is the key to any successful transaction so as a buyer, ask questions, request photographs and do anything you can to cover yourself.

There are hundreds of successful transactions that go through on this board without any problems. This is a fantastic community that help each other which is great. However we still need to protect ourselves against the few bad apples that may appear.

Anyway I just wanted to highlight this mainly for the new members as they may not know but it's also a good reminder for all of us, to be safe with our money.

If you need anymore info please do not hesitate to pm me.
Take care all :wave
x :peace

Last edited:
Re: Guidelines and Information for Buying.

This Want to Buy forum is for members, old and new that are looking for a specific item. IT IS NOT FOR OFFERING ITEMS FOR SALE. If you have an item for sale it should go in the For Sale forum. If you don't have access to the For Sale forum, sorry you can't sell on this forum.

Anyone trying to get around this rule by posting For Sale items in this area of the forum will earn infractions and/or be banned.

Thanks adoptedscot and dave.

A really helpful guide.

Please list all items you are seeking in ONE thread.

Do not start one thread per item, multiple threads will be merged.

Many thanks
Shell
x :peace

is the thread just for collectibles such as figures and statues etc or can it be for other items? There is a guitar I am looking for and would like to know wether a WTB thread would be allowed for such an item. Cheers.

What we see a lot of is someone starts a thread searching for an item. Then they receive a pm from a member saying they have this item and will sell for $$/££ etc.

The FIRST thing the Opening Poster/Buyer needs to do is check the Feedback of the person who contacted them in the Feedback thread that is next to this one. Jen kindly keeps that thread well up to date :rock.
Regardless of the person's post count or term of membership, ALWAYS check their Feedback first
:lecture

If the person contacting you/selling is new/has no feedback/low post count then ask for references or eBay ID, photograph of the item with a newspaper/paper with persons name and date on it (basically asking for proof of posession).

Do not deal until you are happy and satisfied to do so. It is your money and your decision at the end of the day, we can only give this advice on how to try and be safe as possible.
Pay using Paypal/Credit Card.

Communication is the key to any successful transaction so as a buyer, ask questions, request photographs and do anything you can to cover yourself.

There are hundreds of successful transactions that go through on this board without any problems. This is a fantastic community that help each other which is great. However we still need to protect ourselves against the few bad apples that may appear.

Anyway I just wanted to highlight this mainly for the new members as they may not know but it's also a good reminder for all of us, to be safe with our money.

Due to recent events, I just wanted to re-iterate all of the above.

Please be careful if you start a WTB thread and you get a random pm from someone who may be new, or have no Feedback. Even if they do have many posts, be sure to do all of the above AND protect yourself by paying with a CC/Paypal.
REMEMBER if you pay through Paypal and send the money as a 'gift' YOU LOSE ALL PROTECTION!. So only do this with members you know and trust.

Be safe and protect yourself as much as you can!.

If you need any advice please feel free to pm me.
Thanks all
Shell
x :wave

Due to recent events, I just wanted to re-iterate all of the above.

Please be careful if you start a WTB thread and you get a random pm from someone who may be new, or have no Feedback. Even if they do have many posts, be sure to do all of the above AND protect yourself by paying with a CC/Paypal.
REMEMBER if you pay through Paypal and send the money as a 'gift' YOU LOSE ALL PROTECTION!. So only do this with members you know and trust.

Be safe and protect yourself as much as you can!.

If you need any advice please feel free to pm me.
Thanks all
Shell

Thanks shell for the info :),I think i am gonna need that in the near future :)I feel a little lost in the jungle here hehe :)

should we ask the seller to send us a paypal invoice before buying? or is sending money safe as well?

Sending them money is fine. Do NOT send as gift/personal payment. And if it's more than $50 use a credit card.

thanks alot!!

just bought a venom comiquette from a non forum user, through direct paypal invoice. made him send me an invoice with "venom comiquette and the number of the statue" from the pics he sent me hope im its not a scam and hope it comes in one piece

I Really wish it were in the rules for Items wanted listers to list the price they are willing to pay for an item. A lot of times they just post and they are blowing smoke because what they are willing to pay is unrealistically low compared to market values.

This is a great thread. I’ve been a Lurker for almost a year and finally went active. I’ve bought 2 Statues so far and the seller had great feedback here and on Ebay. What I liked is the sellers sent me PayPal invoices that included pictures of what I was buying (to include ANY scratched or damage), the size of the box/s and approximate weight, and above all a very detailed description!

I’ve been contacted by a new member who has an item Ive been looking for, and following the rules in the sticky plus the invoice “detail” rule I believe as a buyer that if nothing arrived or anything but that which was detailed very well in the invoice that PayPal would have me covered. Lastly, I would never Gift money unless the seller was a friend! Even then, is 3-4% of the cost worth losing ALL? IMHO, Never Gift, unless your willing to lose your money!

Thanks for the information!

Last edited:
This is a great thread. I’ve been a Lurker for almost a year and finally went active. I’ve bought 2 Statues so far and the seller had great feedback here and on Ebay. What I liked is the sellers sent me PayPal invoices that included pictures of what I was buying (to include ANY scratched or damage), the size of the box/s and approximate weight, and above all a very detailed description!

I’ve been contacted by a new member who has an item Ive been looking for, and following the rules in the sticky plus the invoice “detail” rule I believe as a buyer that if nothing arrived or anything but that which was detailed very well in the invoice that PayPal would have me covered. Lastly, I would never Gift money unless the seller was a friend! Even then, is 3-4% of the cost worth losing ALL? IMHO, Never Gift, unless your willing to lose your money!

Thanks for the information!

I'm glad you found it useful :duff

Back