OFFICIAL: New License 1/4 LOTR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=111005lotrpre

Sideshow Collectibles Announces New License
With New Line Cinema for 1:4 Scale Premium Format Figures
from The Lord of the Rings Film Trilogy

(November 10, 2005) Westlake Village, CA - Sideshow Collectibles, a specialty manufacturer of iconic TV and film collectibles, announced a new line of The Lord of the Rings figures as part of their agreement with New Line Cinema. The artists at Sideshow Collectibles will bring the enchanting, heroic-and indelible-characters that populated the world of Middle-earth in the critically-acclaimed The Lord of the Rings trilogy to life with the first-ever 1:4 scale Premium Format figure line. The new figures are anticipated to rank as some of the most highly sought-after collectible art pieces on the market today.

Sideshow Collectibles' Premium Format 1:4 scale utilizes a mixture of mediums, allowing an unprecedented opportunity to bring these beloved characters to life with unsurpassed detail and accuracy. This larger canvas offers designers and sculptors a variety of media and artistic avenues to recreate, with astounding accuracy and creativity, the characters, costumes, and weaponry from the classic fantasy tale. Detailed portrait likenesses, expert fabric tailoring, film accurate props and the use of genuine leather and real metal for armor and weaponry will breathe new life into the The Lord of the Rings characters.

The first 1:4 scale LOTR figures are anticipated to come to market the second quarter of 2006. This 1:4 scale figure line will be available in collectible and specialty stores worldwide as well as directly at the Sideshow Collectibles website - www.sideshowcollectibles.com. The new Premium Format limited edition figures will stand approximately 12 to 18-inches tall (hobbits being shorter than men, even in 1:4 scale), and will retail for $225 to $450.

Mat Falls, Sideshow Collectibles co-founder and Director of 3-D Design, is happy to return to Middle-earth. "I am personally pleased that Sideshow has a second occasion to contribute to The Lord of the Rings phenomenon," he says. "It's turf we know intimately and it's an opportunity to create something new and different from our previous all polystone offerings."

The adventures and exploits of Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf, along with their allies and enemies, became touchstones of modern literature when they were first conceived by author J.R.R. Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings. Three landmark film adaptations from New Line Cinema won 17 Academy Awards and introduced Tolkien's incomparable vision to a vast new audience of devotees. Prior to this announcement, Sideshow Collectibles and Weta Workshop produced more than 180 sculptures, busts, prop replicas, and other collectibles over a period of 4 years. Nearly all Sideshow Collectibles limited edition pieces have sold out, and are highly sought-after on the secondary market.

I can't chat at work, so someone please post a transcript!!!

... wow, my first post on the new board... I can't believe how long I've been out of the loop!

Gary

From Brant's discussion,

It sounded like the first two pieces were going to be a human and a monster type.

So, when can we expect 1/4 scale Sauron made of solid metal? :google

And that 1/4 scale Balrog is going to :rock :devil

I suppose by the very nature of the scale that some characters will be impossible, unless they mix scales.

Brant:

I am most excited, hypothetically, about some of the Uruk-Hai. They will make for fantastic figures. And hypothetically, Gandalf the Grey - terrific details in the costume that should translate well in 1:4 scale. 

LURTZ BABY!!!! :)

Chat questions & answers: Brant's answers in BOLD.

Someone asked when you'll get a peek at the first figure...
And the answer to that, is not TOO long. We're guessing that we'll be ready to reveal the first pick just after the new year.
The first two characters really demonstrate the range of this line...
VERY diverse characters.
Very opposite costuming.
Very opposite... species...
This is not an extension of the previous range, but an entirely new presentation of your favorite characters.
The pace will not be as fast as you were used to in the past - your wallet will not suffer the same abuse...

How many will there be, will we see Eomer and Farmir this time and which one(s) are first up?

Great question - I hope I answered some of it earlier! I can't confirm anyone just yet, but I can safely say that the sky is the limit, at the moment.

How many pieces do you expect to make and how many of those will be 1st time pieces for characters?

In the first year - we'll go slowly - not more than 2 or 3...
After that... :)
who knows...
There may be some 1st time appearances for certain characters, or first time in a different costume.

Brant, will you be using the great inhouse talent you have here like Andy, Martin, Pablo and Ray to work on the new license or is this going to be a WETA only deal like the first license?

Good question. The first range was a huge success, in great part due to the amazing talent at WETA. It's an incredibly talented group of artists - very good at sculpture work.
Sideshow's team - Andy, Martin, Oluf, Pablo, and so many more, have really perfected the craft of sculpting in coordination with our fabrication team, to allow the mixed media quality that is the trademark of the Premium Format series.
Then the artists like Heath, Greg Mowry, Gidget, and Kent (who dressed up as Aragorn & Theoden at the last few SDCC's), step in and work on details like all the tailoring, and armor, and more...
It's a huge team that will be tackling each PF LOTR figure - all Sideshow artists this time.

How accurate will the figures be,will you be having contact with Weta about Props and Costumes?

We're not working with WETA on this series, but it's impossible to work on LOTR without admiring their original creations/costumes/props.

Will there be an unlimited line here? Or will this end eventually? And please have a Faramir ;-)

We'll cross our fingers that it can go on forever...
Duly noted on Faramir...

Will this eventually lead to a 12" LOTR line, like what happend with Star Wars?

Hmmmm....
That's an interesting question, and glad to see that there's some interest...
Ready...
:p

Will this new line go into the detail as the statues did such as having riders on steed? Or will it be stationary statues only?

Great question, and one that I can't answer yet. Some of the designs that we're considering are VERY elaborate, and BIG, but we won't start with anything that... collosal. We hope that the line develops, and finds it's own loyal following, so that we can experiment with some of the more ambitious ideas, like Horse and Rider pieces.

2nd quarter 2006 - does that mean that we have to wait for a preview to the second quarter also?

Nope- just after the new year...

Is there a good chance that we'll see characters (Faramir and Eomer) that weren't sculpted in 1/6 scale represented in the premium format?

We're looking for opportunities to do characters that have been previously under-represented.

Who will be the first character?

The first character...
Will be announced in January...

Will the new 1/4 LOTR line have exclusive versions like the Star Wars line?

There may indeed be exclusive versions, but only where appropriate...

Brant, "The first 1:4 scale LOTR figures are anticipated to come to market the second quarter of 2006." Does this mean, we get the first look a prototype pics, preorder goes up, or actual shipping of first one planned?

That's when we hope to ship the first character.
But to be honest, these are some of the most detailed and elaborate figures we've ever attempted.
We'll have a much better sense of timing come January...

How many will there be, will we see Eomer and Farmir this time and which one(s) are first up?

Hmmm...
I'll take that as another vote for F & E...

Does Weta anything to do with this line, or is it just SideShow? And will there be a consitant about the hair, either sculpted or "real" hair?

GOOD question, and one that our team is divided on.
We've chosen to go mostly with sculpted hair - as many of the LOTR hairstyles are VERY difficult to reproduce properly with real hair. Silly wizards, rangers, and orcs.
No proper hair care products in Middle Earth - too much stringy and wet look. Better looking when sculpted.

Brant, awesome announcement, I love it. Now, since larger "creatures" will be too big in 1/4 scale, can we expect something like a 1/4 Balrog bust for example...kind of like the Aliens Queen bust? (or something similar with the big guys) Just wondering how those could be made....thanks

Great question, and it's along the lines of the earlier 'Horse and Rider' question. It's not impossible, not necessarily in 1:4 scale, but not planned in the first year...

Are the figures limited to just the movies or can you produce book characters such as Tom Bombadil!

Our license is with New Line for the movies, which doesn't include every literary character. But the movies offer SO many characters, that it would be far down the line that we would tackle someone like Tom Bombadil...

The cinemaquette Aragorn appears to use real miniature chainmail. Will we see something like that with these?

Entirely possible. We can produce the real miniature chainmail, but it is incredibly expensive. It's something we want to add if it doesn't add too much to the retail cost (it can be so expensive, for a shirt for example, that the retail price would nearly double). But for smaller purposes, like on Gimli or Boromir, say, it might be possible.

Will Sideshow offer "Behind the Shot" photos/virtual tours of the LOTR items PRIOR to their release?

Good question. There's an upcoming announcement that you should keep your eyes open for, but not just for LOTR.

Will you be letting us know about what is coming out by newsletter or posting on the website first

Sign up for the newsletter! It's almost ALWAYS the first source for news (aside from event chats, of course!).

Will you explore the possibility of Radically Different Exclusives. For Example a Regular Edition Faramir in Ranger outfit with an Armoured Version as an Exclusive. Or will you stick to accessories, etc. for the Exclusives?

Unlikely. Aside from the face, those are two entirely different figures, and would likely be treated as such. It takes a LOT of time and effort to get the complex LOTR costumes correct...

Now that you have your hands full with LOTR and Star Wars,is the future bleak for your other 1/6 licences and fans thereof?

fair question...
With a quick survey of 2006 - I can tell you that Star Wars and LOTR combined make up about 1/4 of the product... there's still a LOT of diversity from Sideshow. We are making product from more than 30 different properties!

How long does it take from initial design to the final product for the LOTR Premium Format Figurs?

Great question. For any figure, we start development about 6 - 12 months before the public gets to see it, before we get to share (and discuss! - it's hard!), and then it takes another 6 - 9 months before the product ships.
One more question...

Brant, what particular character are YOU most excited about (potentially) covering?

Oooh, that's a trick question!
I am most excited, hypothetically, about some of the Uruk-Hai. They will make for fantastic figures. And hypothetically, Gandalf the Grey - terrific details in the costume that should translate well in 1:4 scale.
Oh, and Elves. Can't forget the elves.

Awesome. Thanks so much for posting.

Faramir and Eomer are two great characters. And it is an extreme shame they were left out of the SSW lineup. I promise that not many people were more upset than me. That said, I hope Sideshow doesn't get too gung-ho with pushing those characters right away in their new 1:4 lineup. They are still secondary characters, and their sales would likely reflect that. How many would be willing to fork over $250+ for them when other main characters haven't been done first? I think people will be more selective at $250 a pop.

But I am absolutely drooling over the detail that would go into a 1:4 armored Eomer!

Very interesting. Glad to see SS is keeping LOTR alive for sure. I have to go and get some of the items I've axed so I'm still going to be concentrating on the polystone pieces. The 1/4th scale stuff is very very cool and very well done by SS I'm just not sure that I will be into the 1/4th scale stuff much. I mean $225 a pop minimum for hobbits/humans is $100 more than the poly pieces of the same.

Josh, do you think Weta will be involved or will it just be Sideshow doing them, themselves...?

Back