English Bulldog vs. Boston Terrier.....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wofford29

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at getting a dog and it's between these two breeds. I was wondering if anyone on here has one or has experience with either and could let me know their thoughts on them. I know everything about both breeds from a book and breed standpoint so what I'd like to hear are first hand opinions from owners.

I never had either, but there is a Boston Terrier down the street who seems about as energetic as my Jack Russell--very. I don't know if it is a "terrier" thing or what, but he jumps up and down on the fence like he's nuts, and probably acts that way all the time.

I think Bulldogs are lower energy dogs, though I don't know for sure. This is an important factor to consider when getting a dog, as you want one that matches your energy level. Trust me, I learned the hard way with this psychotic Jack Russell.

I'd rather have a miniture bull terrier myself. ;)

There is quite a bit of difference between the two breeds, like karamazov said. One can be full of it, the other is more layed back.

Best wishes to your new fur baby, whichever you get!

I'm looking to get a Boxer, although I have thought about the English Bulldog. From the research that I have done with the Bulldog..they like to sleep indoors...and short walks only...not very energetic...plus they average about 2k.

I never had either, but there is a Boston Terrier down the street who seems about as energetic as my Jack Russell--very. I don't know if it is a "terrier" thing or what, but he jumps up and down on the fence like he's nuts, and probably acts that way all the time.

I think Bulldogs are lower energy dogs, though I don't know for sure. This is an important factor to consider when getting a dog, as you want one that matches your energy level. Trust me, I learned the hard way with this psychotic Jack Russell.[/quote]

:lecture

JR's are VERY psychotic...but fun if you can keep up with them! :lol

I had my JR, Homer, for 7 years until he passed on.

I miss that little nutjob. :monkey2

010_7.jpg

Rest in Peace little buddy.

Sorry to hear that, man. He was a cute little fella. I got my JR (Krypto) from the animal shelter, and later read that lots of people abandon their JRs or put them up at shelters because they just couldn't handle the energy. This guy is both a "super dog" and a "Terminator" (look at his eye!). Unfortunately, he constantly has difficulties with his arch-enemy, the dreaded venetian blind string! In this picture, he somehow got it under his back legs, so he couldn't go anywhere. Most dogs probably wouldn't have got themselves in this position :D

DSCN0618.jpg

Apart from being a mad dog energy-wise, he ain't very bright.

We got a Terrier mix because the dog looked so damn cute and the reality is its annoying as all hell, waaaaay too energetic, needy as anything I've ever seen and if I could go back I'd never ever get her. My wife loves her but damn if it were up to me I would find her a good home and be done with it. Lesson learned? Anything Terrier is just too much goddamn work. I should have stuck to my guns and just gone Bulldog like I originally wanted. Perfect dogs, laidback, relaxed and awesome looking.

BulldogChampsBossWhiteEnglish.jpg

I just want to put it out there that I didn't want our terrier in the first place and was very hesitant about getting one in the first place. I knew how hyper they were! They are really really annoying, but now that we have her I love her!

Well....to be fair you didn't want any dog but you said "no" to Bulldogs :lol

Definite mistake.....average life of a Terrier is 13 years....9 more years until dog 2.0 ;)

Of the two breeds you listed, I would pick the Bulldog. I have known a couple of Boston Terriers, and they were yappy and annoying.

I would get a Boxer if I were you. But I am biased...

36.jpg

39.jpg

That's my boy, Sirius. Boxer's stay medium sized so they aren't too much or too little. They can be very energetic, but they also like to chill. When you leave the room for a while, and you come back, they dance around like you have been gone forever. Boxers "talk," using deep growls and smacking their lips. It's hilarious, and I could swear a couple of times Sirius has told me to f-off when I am annoying him.

I will never own another dog unless it's a Boxer. They are that amazing. Mine is a white boxer, but they aren't rare. Because Boxers are half English Bulldog, they have the same genetic coloring as Bulldogs. The only difference is, white Boxers can't be shown in dog shows, so breeders used to kill them at birth. That is pathetic. Reputable breeders are now selling white boxers as family pets, but they aren't allowed to charge as much for one as a brown and white Boxer.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. Whatever you end up getting, keep the dog inside. Chaining dogs outside is ignorant.

Last edited:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/czK7S3GboLQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/czK7S3GboLQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of the two breeds you listed, I would pick the Bulldog. I have known a couple of Boston Terriers, and they were yappy and annoying.

I would get a Boxer if I were you. But I am biased...

36.jpg

39.jpg

That's my boy, Sirius. Boxer's stay medium sized so they aren't too much or too little. They can be very energetic, but they also like to chill. When you leave the room for a while, and you come back, they dance around like you have been gone forever. Boxers "talk," using deep growls and smacking their lips. It's hilarious, and I could swear a couple of times Sirius has told me to f-off when I am annoying him.

I will never own another dog unless it's a Boxer. They are that amazing. Mine is a white boxer, but they aren't rare. Because Boxers are half English Bulldog, they have the same genetic coloring as Bulldogs. The only difference is, white Boxers can't be shown in dog shows, so breeders used to kill them at birth. That is pathetic. Reputable breeders are now selling white boxers as family pets, but they aren't allowed to charge as much for one as a brown and white Boxer.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. Whatever you end up getting, keep the dog inside. Chaining dogs outside is ignorant.

I agree with you about chaining it outside. Why have a dog if you're just going to chain it up outside to a house? I see dog's everyday that are out in all kinds of weather and ignored. STUPID!

I have a Sheltie. I love the breed. Smart and will play when you want them too and be laid back when you want.

shetland_sheepdog.jpg

Both are great breeds imo but like other people have mentioned it depends
on your life style. I've never owned either but I have a friend who owned a
english bulldog named Seth, he passed about a year ago. He was a vey easy
going dog and very lazy..lol, one thing to consider about these dogs they dont
cope well with hot weather condidtions and need to be inside with aircon on
these types of days.
As for my self I've only ever owned pitbull's, they can be alot of work at times
but is well worth it and very rewarding.
This is a pic of my lil' girl Dallas.
118j905.jpg

My personal preference is a Bulldog. They are awesome, they might drool and snore....but they are still awesome! :)

Alright, now I'm considering a French Bulldog as well. It seems to be a good mix between what I like in the English and the Boston.

Nice dogs, lazy like the English Bulldog.

A few questions:

1) What is your yard size?

2) Kids in the house?

3) Commitment level (walks, etc)?

4) Goal, are you looking for a guard dog, etc?

We have a Boxer and an American Bulldog, and they are both excellent dogs. Boxers genuninely are amongst the very best dogs, they are great with kids and your family but will bark and create a stir with someone they don't know. Our American Bulldog is extremely loyal and friendly, she is BIG but has a huge heart.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending these two breeds.

You may run into A LOT of issues with the English Bulldog. In fact, any brachiocephalic breed is predisposed to respiratory issues, limiting their ability to fully exert themselves during exercise in some cases. Keep in mind the possibility of dermatological problems because of excessive skin folds as well.

I'm not trying to discourage you from this particular breed, but just be prepared to put forth the maintenance if and when required. They are very handsome though.

And if you want an overall strong and healthy breed, go with the Goldens. You can never go wrong with that breed. :rock

Back