CornerStoreComics and Credit Card Exposure.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee in MI

The Saga is now complete
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I only posted this here as I know there are some guys who order through CornerStoreComics for their DC Universe Figs. I don't know if this has been posted already and if there is a thread, Mods please delete this one.

Their CC processor has been hit by a hacker and many cards have been compromised...including mine:banghead. There are several threads about it on AFI and Fwoosh where Thomas from CSC has confirmed that it was the CC processor he uses and not his server that got hacked.

So if you ordered anything from CSC and it was processed this year (at least!), please check your CC's and monitor them daily if not more.

At first, folks thought the exposure was only guys who were getting stuff within in the last month but more and more folks are starting to chime in and the exposure is broader than anyone has officially admitted.

If the MOds would like to move this to a place that would be seen by more folks, please do so cause I know there are quite a few guys who order from CSC.

Re: Credit Card Exposure

That sucks.

On related front, in the last 2 months I've had 2 seperate incidents of these obscure companies trying to charge my CC for relatively small amounts. I think CC companies are really getting lax on their diligence of verifying legitimate charges. Places like Target don't even need you to sign a slip anymore, etc.

If this continues, I'm going to seriously consider going back to cash for most of my purchases to make it easier to identify the bs charges.

I think I may have been one of them, I checked my account yesterday and there were several transactions that I didn't authorize. I called my bank right away and they canceled the card number I used at CSC and are monitoring/investigating my account and those charges. This really blows, 'cause I won't have a bank card for at least two days. Why do people have to be such lowlife scumbags? :mad:

That sucks.

On related front, in the last 2 months I've had 2 seperate incidents of these obscure companies trying to charge my CC for relatively small amounts. I think CC companies are really getting lax on their diligence of verifying legitimate charges. Places like Target don't even need you to sign a slip anymore, etc.

If this continues, I'm going to seriously consider going back to cash for most of my purchases to make it easier to identify the bs charges.

Prog,
That's how it starts. They do a small charge first to check the card to see if it's valid, they try something bigger. If I were you, I would immediatly cancel that card and have another one issued. Sounds like you were exposed somewhere down the line.

TPlaces like Target don't even need you to sign a slip anymore, etc.
from what Ive been told all charges under $50 no longer require a signature anywhere. Its the retailer's option. THis is the reason also no fast food places make you sign in a drivethru

I ordered something from them Sunday morning and luckily no other charges have shown up on my account .... so far

i preordered the batpod from them back in sept. damnit this is gonna suck if mine got hacked.

Hey guys! Chase (my card company) called me Sunday about unauthorized charges. So my card is now cancelled too. At least it's nice to know where it came from. :(

Mine got hacked two weeks ago this weekend. How I found out, you would never believe.

I'm still waiting for my new card. Which sucks because Snake Eyes and DCUC are going to be held up because of it.

i ordered from there last year but nothing recently. man that blows. i hope the CC processor of CSC compensates him for the business he is going to lose.

i ordered from there last year but nothing recently. man that blows. i hope the CC processor of CSC compensates him for the business he is going to lose.

I would still check your account. I don't know if his processor had the numbers stored or was it just recent orders...he hasn't explained what the degree of exposure is yet.:banghead

Prog,
That's how it starts. They do a small charge first to check the card to see if it's valid, they try something bigger. If I were you, I would immediatly cancel that card and have another one issued. Sounds like you were exposed somewhere down the line.

Yup, the same thing happened to me last August from ordering at Toys2. There was a charge to buy.com for $5.00 and then Tower.com for $15.00...after that they attempted charges at a couple of other places for $150 and $350 but I had already stopped it by then. I'm just glad it was my Capital One Visa and not something like my debit card.

Son of a ^^^^^. I ordered my BRJ there and my IM Mark 3. I'll have to check my card.

the scary thing is they may wait weeks or longer before trying the card so just because they didn't use it this week doesn't mean they don't have the number. my card number got stolen once and since then i pretty much check once every other day to make sure it hasn't happened again.

here's the latest from cornerstore (they posted it on fwoosh)

CornerStoreComics said:
Howdy folks!

Thanks for starting up this thread. This whole thing has been VERY frustrating for us (as well as many of you) because we are legally limited as to the actions we are allowed to take with regard to posting anything on the website about the situation or emailing/calling customers about the situation until the processor has been allowed their 'investigatory' period to research and report on the incidents in question. ARGH!

So here the scoop (as best we can tell and as best as we are allowed to say) in a public forum:
It appears the breech potentially involves orders placed and/or processed between about February 25th and March 5th-ish. Any new order placed or pending order processed during that period could have been subject to the compromised batch processing that was done on those days. PLEASE keep a close eye on your credit card accounts for the next week or so if you placed or had processed an order from CSC.

As far as new orders go, all is safe. We've rerouted processing to bypass the processor in question. We've got network services monitoring our site 24/7 to alert us of ANY admin access that is not coming from either Jake or myself. The order server was moved and all passwords were changed within an hour of us hearing the first word about fraudulent charge concerns. We do take this stuff very seriously.

PayPal orders placed during the fraudulent period are at zero risk. Our system in no way has any access to people's PayPal password info, and none of those orders go anywhere near our credit card processing system anyway. Again, there is no risk (from us or our processor) with regards to any PayPal order placed.

New charges processed now will not impact whether your card info was initially stolen during the questionable processing period. Depending upon how much information the hackers got (which we are not privy to, if the processor is even able to tell), fraudulent attempts at charging your card could still be a possibility. Again, PLEASE monitor your card activity closely if you placed any order during this period or had one processed for you (for new arrivals such as DCU, Sideshow Stormtroopers, etc.)

You all have my sincere apologies for the situation, whether you have been directly impacted or not. It's a frustrating, annoying, stressful thing when dishonest people can impact the lives of innocent folks. As always, we are happy to answer whatever questions you may have (to the extent we can to avoid legal implications or litigious liability, for now.)

Thanks much,
Thomas
CSC

That still doesn't cover everyone. My last order processed through them on January 30th!! So how could the exposure only go back to February 25?!?!?:nono:huh

I think there's more to this than is being said.

Thanks for the heads up. Nothing suspicious on my card yet but I canceled it just to be save.

Damnit i just got off the phone with them and they got the Batpods in stock today but I at least saw nothing on my CC statement that I did not know about. either way once the payment goes through I'll get rid of my card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back