What is the most Underrated LOTR Statue?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshowpdx

Super Freak
Reaction score
IMO, it's Treebeard... With an edition number of only 1500 and some absolutely beautiful detail,,, this gets my vote hands down. The fact that it's barely selling for over $300 is a shame.
Here's mine next to my Berserker...

100_0200-vi.jpg

jlcmsu said:
Berserker IMO

Berserker is right up to the top too... A fairly low edition number (around 3500 if I remember correctly) and people are selling those for under $100... Very underrated...

3,000 edition size, and like you guys said, the Berserker is very under-rated.

But, for me...Gandaf on Shadowfax is the most under-rated.

It's an amazing piece.

:cool:

Overrated???

If I could think of the most overrated Sideshow Weta LOTR Statue, I would have to vote for the Witchking... These are selling for well over 2 grand now... Beautiful detail but the new King of the Dead Statue is basically the same thing. Heck,,, you could buy almost 20 King of the Dead statues for the cost of one Witchking...
Here is a picture of my Witchking...

DSC00210-vi.jpg

sideshowpdx said:
If I could think of the most overrated Sideshow Weta LOTR Statue, I would have to vote for the Witchking... These are selling for well over 2 grand now... Beautiful detail but the new King of the Dead Statue is basically the same thing. Heck,,, you could buy almost 20 King of the Dead statues for the cost of one Witchking...
Here is a picture of my Witchking...

Well, let's see . . .the Wiki is more bad-ass than KOTD, and the fact that it's an edition size of 1000 compared to the KOTD at 6500.

Back on topic, I feel Galadriel is underrated. When shown to women, they feel it ranks up there with Lladro. Just for kicks, I'm buying one for my mom.

What kills me about the Witchking is that when they first came out, I bought 6 of them (I bought 3 and had a co-worker buy 3 and reimbursed him). I sold 5 of the 6 for around $300 each in December of '03... Figured I did great by doubling my money. If I had all of them now, I would have over 10 grand in the bank... Oh well,,, you know what they say. At least I still have one of them.

I'd say Berserker and Elrond are underrated. I never hear anyone talk about Elrond, but it is one of my favorite statues easily.
And since when are Wikis selling for $2000+? I thought they were still in the $1200 range, at least here in the States.

I have to go with the Berserker as well. Great likeness, action pose and pure badass. Every other Uruk-hai and Orc statue are high $$$ but this one can barely sell for retail. It's definetly one of the better statues out there.

All good choices. One that nobody has mentioned yet is Gandalf the Grey. I picked one up early in the year rather cheaply because it was, well, cheap. And I needed to at least have one good guy! Great sculpt. Great likeness. Great pose. An all-around great piece.

Yes, one of the most under-rated to me too is the one sat next to your Treebeard! The Berserker ir my favourite uruk statue.
Other under-rated statues - Newborn uruk, Easterling maybe? And Gandalf The White - the best Gandalf likeness in the line apart from the GTW bust - , Frodo and Merry, Saruman, Shelob, and Gothmog on Warg (One of the best and most detailed statues).

Under-rated busts: Pippin, Theoden, Moria Swordsman, Sam, Wormtongue, Arwen and Galadriel.

I agreee with Beserker as well.. I wonder how many of you actually compared the pieces made by various sculptor. My personal favourite is Jamie Beswarick.. so far none of his LOTR pieces ever failed to amazed me...

Talking about underrated... I thought Gimli statue is a little underated?

Actually, looking at the chronological order of release of statues, the pricing of the various statues, IMO, doesn't come from how nice the statue but rarity of it. So far, all the earlier releases from FOTR are all expensive.. and yet Gandalf the Grey statue is no where above 200USD... why?? It is a later release... just like Arwen statue... yet her bust sells for at least 200USD..

I think the most underrated item is the left-side foot spike on the Sauron statue.

That thing totally makes the statue. If I didn't have that spike in his left foot, the whole statue would be garbage.

Even the right foot spike doesn't make the statue, though it comes close.

I think the second most underrated item is the separate-piece Morgul Lord helm/mask support, it's a little metal Y that you can't really see in pictures of the thing being displayed- because it's hidden, doing its job. Yep, it's underrated, because it's never seen but if it wasn't there, you would have nothing to support the helm with and it'd just fall down on the shelf.

Actually all the display pedistals for the helms are pretty underrated. Those things rock this planet Earth. :D

:rolleyes: :D

cheaper on dare i say it ebay !!!!!!!!!

it seems lately that the new statues are cheaper to purchase on ebay .... especially as there are no taxes and high postage costs .. gothmog \ GOSF\KOTD etc ...all amazing prices ..

under valued ( as above -- treebeard and gollum too can be snapped up quite cheaply compared with 12 months ago ----- as for elrond mentioned earlier ( for me too , one of the best )

i guess its down to #s , however treebeard and gollum would suggest otherwise :huh

Back