Hasbro appreciation thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
Yea, you read that right, Hasbro appreciation. Toy Fair starts today, and today I also got the new Ben Kenobi Hasbro put out and I have to say, thank you Hasbro. It's a great figure and a great TOY. Couple this with the Falcon they put out and just, wow. Now not everything Hasbro makes is great, but if you know what you want to collect and are willing to wait you get some great gems. Right now I have a display of 11 of the first 12 '77/'78 releases that have been done in the new line. All that is missing is the EU Death Squad Trooper. Now are all 11 figures perfect? No, the Leia has a china doll look to her face and swivel elbows, the 3PO is the "Ewok Deity" one but has wonky legs but ya know what? They are great toyss first and foremost. Hasbro knows "collectors" buy their stuff but their target audience really is kids and more often then not they hit that mark. Honestly, I really don't buy much from Hasbro but when I do it's usually an update on a vintage figure and a pretty good effort at that. At times it makes me want to scale back on the 1/6 scale stuff because I know I'm never going to get a Kenner line in 1/6 scale, but I JUST might with Hasbro. Anyone else feel this way or am I crazy?

I Think Hasbro is a great company. Yes it's target is kids but they make it affordable for them to collect there stuff. They gave Indy a dam good try, shame not enough people bought the figures.
Also I have a collection of Star Wars unleashed figures which is a great line, the unleashed Boba Fett is awesome . So yeah, most of us say Hasblow, but really it's just in jest

No, there's some things Hasbro really is Hasblow on. :lol Their 12 inch line was just bad, especially toward the end. They flooded the market with too much Indy stuff. But for me, and the way I collect right now I'm really happy with them. They went all out on Ben (even giving us the tables they said we werent going to get, GOD BLESS slow factory communication haha), the upcoming Ughnaught looks awesome and so do the Hoth Soldiers. I just think a lot of the time we give Hasbro a hard time because we aren't getting what we want or it's not how we want. Good example are the Ultimate (Collector) Battle Packs with the Lars Home and the Sarlaac. Collectors were angry because they were vacuformed and expensive. I want just the house and the Sarlaac but I know if I wait eventually they can be had cheap. With Hasbro it really is a waiting game. I think Im rambling because I barely slept last night but I dunno.. I'm sorta pumped to see what Toy Fair has in store from Hasbro. Oh and if no ones figured it out yet, my focus in Hasbro collecting is "vintage - what was made and what should have been made". And surprisingly I have a narrow idea of what should have been made. :lol I really need that new Rancor that is floating around though. Have you guys seen that? It is a thing of beauty.

I like this thread! :duff
I avoid Hasbro related discussion because it's mostly bashing. In actuality they are responsible for an insane amount of fantastic product. I just picked up the new Falcon playset for $64 at Walmart (perfect example of the "waiting game" :D). I know it's been discussed to death, but it really is one of the best toys ever made, IMO.
There is a huge variety at a decent price range and I believe there's something for everyone.
As for Indy, personally I couldn't understand when people were complaining about no midnight madness etc. for that license. It seemed like the clock was ticking even before the figures hit - old people in old fashioned clothes are not going to sell like multicolored aliens.
And yeah that Rancor is SWEET! :rock

I think what brought this on for me was when I got my Ben this morning, I tore open the card, cut the elastics and started PLAYING with it. I felt like a kid again. With Sideshow, Hot Toys and Medi.. there isn't much playing. You get them in the pose you like and that's about it. With the Hasbro stuff you can make little scenes, you get things like the Falcon vehicle/playset. The vintage Luke was my first action figure and I've come to realize that Hasbro really DOES work hard and usually gets crucified by fandom. A good example is the VOTC Early Bird Luke with telescoping saber. I'd love to see Hasbro do a Ben and Vader like that as exclusives or mail aways.. but they'd be crucified because it's not cool for collectors. Some times I think you need to step back and look at the products for what they are.

I like to bash Hasbro or (polish turds to quote a fellow freak)

front.jpg

DSCF0849.jpg

ig88-dengar-4lom-zuckuss.jpg
#
DSCF0686.jpg

Well some of their small figs rock. The new E4 wave from this year look awesome. I do realize the Han Luke and Joe Johnston space trooper are repacks with new heads but the other figures that have 10 seconds of screentime between them look great.

Im such a sucker for abscure characters from the OT

They have done some great figs over the years. I still get their stuff - not as much these days...but they put out some nice stuff on occasion....

They have gone very kiddie oriented lately...but hey, that's the idea

Just when I was ready to stop collecting their 3 3/4" line, they started getting really good. So here I am, still buying them!

Their 12-inchers were getting good towards the end too. But I'm glad they passed the torch to SS. And I'm glad SS is now collaborating with HT.

I really don't buy to many Hasbro figures for myself, but my son has almost everything made. I did see a new Jawa the other day that peaked my interest.

I think Hasbro's best line was the Vintage Original Trilogy Collection. You know, the new figures, packaged on the classic Kenner card. I loved that line. I wish they had continued it. I have every figure accept the mail away George Lucas...

So forgive the quality of the picture, took it on my cell earlier but I mean this is just a NICE little set up I have and every time I look at it - I am really pleased with it. Long live the 3 and 3/4 inch line!

img438.jpg

As not only a Star Wars fan, but a Transformers and GIJOE collector, I think Hasbro is awesome. As a whole I think Hasbro does make stuff for collectors and kids.

I didn't buy any Hasbro SW figures for years but a few years ago my nephew got a ton for Christmas so of course I had to check them out and I was pleasantly surprised at how much Hasbro had improved the figures over the time I stopped collecting. The sculpts and articulation improved 100%. I was so impressed that I of course started buying them again. :eek:

Right now I'm all over the Clone Wars figures which I love.

Good example are the Ultimate (Collector) Battle Packs with the Lars Home and the Sarlaac. Collectors were angry because they were vacuformed and expensive. I want just the house and the Sarlaac but I know if I wait eventually they can be had cheap.

The Battle Packs are kind of "hit and miss." The Sarlac set does suck but the Battle of Christophis set is awesome.

I'm sorta pumped to see what Toy Fair has in store from Hasbro. Oh and if no ones figured it out yet, my focus in Hasbro collecting is "vintage - what was made and what should have been made". And surprisingly I have a narrow idea of what should have been made. :lol I really need that new Rancor that is floating around though. Have you guys seen that? It is a thing of beauty.

I got mine yesterday. :banana

It's the same Rancor from the rider set that came out last year but with a better paint job. For $40 it's a pretty good deal but Hasbro could have thrown in a Gammorean Guard or something else and the set would have been perfect. Either way, if you've got a Jabba display like mine you'll need this Rancor. It's much better than the previous versions.

You can order it from Target.com if you want one. :D

The Toy Fair pics are already up and I'm quite happy. :)

I didn't kno which Ben you were referring to and then I saw the new ANH wave at Wal-Mart this morning and grabbed him (as well as three of the Cantina aliens--always cool).

He's the best 3 3/4 Ben Kenobi yet and a great addition.

Yea, really can't go wrong with this new Ben. Next up that I must get is in the ESB waves. Need both Rebel Troopers, the Ughnaughts and the Medical Frigate Leia to upgrade my ANH Leia. The VOTC one has swivel elbows, the Med Leia has ball elbows. Then I'm set until the ROTJ wave. What's your thoughts on the new cantina guys Neil? You should have grabbed the Jawa too. Same as the TAC one but with more accurate weapons and an awesome droid.

He's the best 3 3/4 Ben Kenobi yet and a great addition.

I'm not a fan of the cloth robe, those don't often work at the scale. For me, the best Old Ben is still the OTC Ghost Ben from ESB, great sculpt, wish they'd release one painted normal, it's my favorite of all time.

I'm really looking forward to a few releases from Hasbro this year.

07Obi-Wan.jpg

08DarthSidiousHologram.jpg

08ObiWan.jpg

11CWJabbaTheHuttBattlePK.jpg

2929TargetClassicRancor.jpg

28ObiWanKenobi.JPG

Yea, really can't go wrong with this new Ben. Next up that I must get is in the ESB waves. Need both Rebel Troopers, the Ughnaughts and the Medical Frigate Leia to upgrade my ANH Leia. The VOTC one has swivel elbows, the Med Leia has ball elbows. Then I'm set until the ROTJ wave. What's your thoughts on the new cantina guys Neil? You should have grabbed the Jawa too. Same as the TAC one but with more accurate weapons and an awesome droid.

I had the jawa in hand for a few minutes-- But I'm no longer a Hasbro "completist" so I only buy a few at a time and only if they're "core characters" that are perfect (like the ANH Ben and the two other Kenobis that are on the way as shown in MF's post) or if they're cantina aliens--- I love the cantina aliens (and I'm planning on building a 3 3/4 scale cantina to pose them all).

Brainiac's OK... Wioslea looks like a jedi and the head's freaky, but the arms have good articulation and the legs (which are hidden under the robe) are actually pretty cool (bird-like).. But the winner of the three would be essentially the two-pack of Trinto Duaba & Dice Ibegon--- I also chose just those three because along with Ben they make the R2 droid. And I've already got a Luke and Han in stormtrooper outfits from the comic two-pack.

I might have to go back though and get the Grievous. I didn't realize that it was an all new sculpt that allowed for him to tower over others and to be sturdier when posed.

I might have to go back though and get the Grievous. I didn't realize that it was an all new sculpt that allowed for him to tower over others and to be sturdier when posed.

I'm pissed about that one, I saw plenty once but passed thinking it was another Grievous rehash, which they've done wayyyy too many of, then I see on Rebelscum it's all new and improved and haven't seen one since.

I'm currently bagging and boxing up my Hasbro collection. I'll still by pieces here and there that I like, but I'm not buying them all up anymore, can't with more adult collectibles to buy now, it worked when Hasbro was all I owned, but with Sideshow and Hot Toys now, it just doesn't fit anymore.

I'm pissed about that one, I saw plenty once but passed thinking it was another Grievous rehash, which they've done wayyyy too many of, then I see on Rebelscum it's all new and improved and haven't seen one since.

I'm currently bagging and boxing up my Hasbro collection. I'll still by pieces here and there that I like, but I'm not buying them all up anymore, can't with more adult collectibles to buy now, it worked when Hasbro was all I owned, but with Sideshow and Hot Toys now, it just doesn't fit anymore.

Same boat.

And yeah, I was checking out Rebelscum and for kicks I looked up the Grievous (cause when I had him in hand for several minutes much like the jawa my "SW sense" was going) and I was ticked to see how good the fig is compared to past releases.

I doubt he'll still be there when I get across the border again-- oh well.

Back