Favourite Atmospheric movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock83

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought it would be interesting to hear what your favourites are,gotta love a good(more creepy) athmosphere in a movie.Add Tv Series if you feel like it...

Dont have to be the best movie,simply that it has the little unique athmosphere,creative filming,music that sets the right mood in a scene,keeps you on the edge of the seat and you know something might happen,but you dont know when or how.Little hard to explain but i think you know what i mean :)

There is 3 that clearly stands out for me:

Movies:
-The Shining(Kubrick)
-The Thing(Carpenter)

Tv Series:
-Twin Peaks(David Lynch)

There is alot worth mentioning but these 3 are in a league of their own of anything ive seen.
My favourite Director is David Lynch which is famous for his athmospheric movies like:
-Mulholland Drive
-Lost highway
-Blue Velvet
-Wild at Heart

i remember watching lost highway and getting creeped out by that old guy. i also remember seeing Patricia Arquette and having "this magic moment" playing in the background. :drool real sexy!

thought about it and im gonna have to go with The Crow. great atmosphere, great soundtrack, and most of all killer musical score.

Yeah i agree on Terminator and Fargo,just not even close to Shining and Thing for me.Also worth mentioning is:

-Muholland Drive,lost Highway,Blue Velvet,Wild at Heart,the ones i mentioned above.
-Raising Arizona(Coens)

i remember watching lost highway and getting creeped out by that old guy. i also remember seeing Patricia Arquette and having "this magic moment" playing in the background. :drool real sexy!

No ^^^^,thats how all Lynch`s movies are,creepy as hell and thats why he is my favourite director.

alien 3- that films atmosphere is darker than darth vaders underpants :rock:rock.

the alien for its creepinessssss aswell :lecture

Blade Runner.

Sunshine - one of my recent favorite sci fi films. The music and setting makes for a great ambiance...until halfway through.

They're not really creepy, but are very atmospheric nevertheless:
2001 - A Space Odyssey
Donnie Darko
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Fountain

One more I thought of: Easy Rider - brilliant film. The two main characters would make for a pair of nice figures.

I second Blade Runner, and would like to add the original The Haunting of Hill House from 1963, and both the 1931 Dracula and Bram Stoker's...

Agree! Was watching Haunting of Hill House on Halloween back when I was in my teens....never showed you what was causing all the stuff and scared me spitless.

The Others is also great on atmosphere.

Off the top of my head...
-No Country for Old Men. Hated by most, but blew me away in the movie theather.
-REC
-The Orphanage
-Blade Runner
-Gattica (I've never get tired of seeing this flick).
-Godfather I and II - sets a tone unmatched, even by the 3rd (I pretend that one doesn't exist).
-Apocalypse Now - this flick just takes me to another planet

Orphanage
Pan's Labyrinth
Session 9

Love the NY feeling Taxi Driver has ... :monkey

In terms of movies that created a kind of mood that permeated the film and kept me on edge (usually in an uncomfortable way):

Psycho (or anything Hitchcock, really)
Brazil
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Blood Simple (also, Barton Fink)
Naked Lunch
Dead Ringers (or any other number of Cronenberg movies)
Alien and the Thing, of course

Back