Should SIDESHOW contract HT for the TrueType Body?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bardoon

Super Freak
Reaction score
I posed this question in the GI Joe forum but was wondering what everyone thought.

Obviously, the first release of the Prometheus was met with a mixed reaction, leaning on negatives I'd say. No one questioned the poseability which was a dynamic improvement over the Buck, but there were issues: loose joints, the upper shoulders too narrow, and overly a lackluster appearance even underneath all of Indy's clothes.

We just recently saw the Snake Eyes production piece, which looks drastically skinny and much different from the original prototype (which we know Sideshow is rather inconsistent when it comes from Proto-to-Production).Considering Sideshow's track record of quality as well, whose to say that this production run won't feature some of the same faults as the first one?

Considering that Sideshow uses the TrueType as its new armored and child bodies...how many people think Sideshow should just dump the Prometheus and contract Hot Toys TrueType as their new standard body?

I don't. I hope to see the production consistency improve on the prometheus, armored body and child body, but the only thing I like about the TrueType is the tightness of the joints, maybe some anatomical things in the hip area. While the Prometheus could have a larger upper body, or Sideshow adapt smaller, more proportioned to the Prometheus heads, the overall anatomical shape of it is much more accurrate to the human body than the TrueType. Both bodies have flaws and I believe the best body lies somewhere in between.

On a related note I'd love for SSC to sell TrueTypes so I don't have to pay ridiculous eBay pricing on them.

yes, let Hot Toys Design or contract their TrueType to Sideshow!

Considering that Sideshow uses the TrueType as its new armored and child bodies...how many people think Sideshow should just dump the Prometheus and contract Hot Toys TrueType as their new standard body?

I don't think they should, I like the fact that the companies try to improve and innovate the standards for 1/6 scale bodies. In fact, Sideshow worked with Hot Toys to develop the Prometheus body anyway. I'd prefer that they work the kinks out and make different variants of the Prometheus (slim, bulky, short, tall) and even develop a new female body (I've always felt the female Buck body is horrible and doesn't pose well).

Hot Toys' recent successes should motivate Sideshow employees to go back to the drafting table and design something that will set the bar so high, Hot Toys will be begging to contract their ideas.

I don't understand all that craze about the HT body! Sure, it's very good, but it's not THAT good! There are other bodies that are just as good (trust me I have all sorts of bodies, including HT) and to me, there are many things that could be improved. First, it's okay with clothes but pretty ugly without! So no barbarians, short sleeves or open collars! And the feet! Gawd!!!! that's awful! Surely, they are okay, but we need much better than that!

I don't understand all that craze about the HT body! Sure, it's very good, but it's not THAT good! There are other bodies that are just as good (trust me I have all sorts of bodies, including HT) and to me, there are many things that could be improved. First, it's okay with clothes but pretty ugly without! So no barbarians, short sleeves or open collars! And the feet! Gawd!!!! that's awful! Surely, they are okay, but we need much better than that!

Same here. The HT body is fine and all... But for one, the shoulders are actually too big. I think that people being so used to the HT body, now think that figures should have huge shoulders. And now that the pro has come out, the shoulders look tiny in comparison.

The pro could easily be adjusted with larger shoulders to compensate, tighter joints and better hips. It wouldn't be that damn hard. Even HT has had to change their shoulder set over the years so it's not that damn big.

I would like to see SSC remain in the 1/6 game, so that means they need to continue updating their base body every 12-18 months, pro 2.0, 3.0 etc.

As things stand right now, I don't think SSC works hard enough to maintain a lead in the 1/6 business. Filler characters in the SW line, killing off LOTR before completing the fellowship, the aweful shaun of the dead, reservoir dogs figures, and the disappointing pro are things SSC really need to correct.

Cause it is a all around good body. Excellent range of motion.

I think the Pro is the biggest disappointment from last year. All that wait for the Indy figure and mine is wonky as a rag doll out of the box. He chronically slouches with his head down and has no definition in his shoulders. It makes me wonder what the future holds for lines like G.I. Joe--I don't want a Snak-Eyes who falls over on himself. I've never hada complaint about a HT body ever.

I wasn't all to impressed from the pics I saw of the promethius but I have to say the true type bodies are wonderful. The new ones are supposed to have smaller shoulders like the Hot Toys Bank Robber Joker figure.

The best thing about the true types is that the thighs look like normal human thighs in terms of thickness. EVERY other 6th scale bodie has stick legs wherre the thighs are almost as thick as the ankles.

You take any average sideshow figure and put a truetype in its clothes and it looks like a million bucks in comparison. I thought the Legacy Roger Moore Bond had the crappiest tailoring but on the truetype it looks fantastic. He has these bell bottom tux pants that didn't even look bell bottom unntil the pants fit right around his thighs.

So yeah, I'm TOTALLY in for that. It would save me an additional 30-40 bucks I spend to replace the body of every sideshow I own with a TT anyway.

I think once Sideshow works out the kinks of the Prometheus body there wouldn't be any need of contracting out the regular and slim True Types. But until they do, I would love them to use the True Type bodies, especially the HT female body!

Yeah, definitely hire out for the female bodies until Sideshow can up their game. They've taken some of the most beautiful actresses in movies & TV and made truly horrid figures out of them.

Back