Valkyrie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuzeh

Machete Don't Tweet!
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So,
I saw this movie today, I thought it was pretty good...
I know a lot of people hate Tom Cruise, but I don't mind him in movies,
I think this one had a very compelling story, and seeing how everything unfolds was quite entertaining!!

I've learned to separate actors from the films they're in. I may have no respect for Tom or Travolta, but I do enjoy their movies.

I was fairly impressed with Valkyrie too, just from the history aspect. I didn't know that so much was involved and how close they actually came. I knew that it was an attempt on Hitler's life, but thought it was no more than that.

Tom did a good job, but so did Nighy and Wilkerson. It's not a great art film - but definitely an interesting aspect of history.

And this year we have the "good German" cinema - with sympathetic German characters during WWII both in Valkyrie and The Reader.

I liked this a lot, too. It just suffers from the same problem that "Enemy At The Gates" and others have: fear of alienating potential mass audiences and choosing to not use proper foreign languages and subtitles. Actors with American and British accents playing Germans and Russians? Poppycock to that, I say. But I guess I would prefer that over bad German accents speaking in English. I thought the opening titles (German-to-English) were great, as were Tom Cruise's opening monologue which was spoken in German. From then on, though... it's all Hollywood with the accents.

That (commercial) decision aside, I liked the movie quite a bit.

I liked this a lot, too. It just suffers from the same problem that "Enemy At The Gates" and others have: fear of alienating potential mass audiences and choosing to not use proper foreign languages and subtitles. Actors with American and British accents playing Germans and Russians? Poppycock to that, I say. But I guess I would prefer that over bad German accents speaking in English. I thought the opening titles (German-to-English) were great, as were Tom Cruise's opening monologue which was spoken in German. From then on, though... it's all Hollywood with the accents.

That (commercial) decision aside, I liked the movie quite a bit.

Hmm, I noticed the transition and thought it was great - conveys to the audience that everyone is really speaking German - handled as well as Hunt for Red October which used a similar device. I really didn't notice anyone using an accent - and maybe that's your point? They all used their own accents? I think fake German accents would have taken us out of the film much, much more than how they did it.

This is an okay film and a good story that I'm surprised hasn't been made into a film yet. It's enjoyable but not fantastic.

I hate Cruise and almost found myself rooting for Hitler. :lol Seems like part of his attempt to rehabilitate his image. I wouldn't be surprised if he fights Satan in some upcoming flick.

Bryan Singer did a good job but Apt Pupil and Usual Suspects are still his best.

This is an okay film and a good story that I'm surprised hasn't been made into a film yet. It's enjoyable but not fantastic.

I hate Cruise and almost found myself rooting for Hitler. :lol Seems like part of his attempt to rehabilitate his image. I wouldn't be surprised if he fights Satan in some upcoming flick.

Bryan Singer did a good job but Apt Pupil and Usual Suspects are still his best.

Actually, that story was made into a movie ages ago. Black and white film, but I can't remember the name of it. My father watched every WWII movie every made so I've seen quite a few. If I think of it, I'll post it.

I really want to see this movie too, just because I am a history buff and always thought this was an interesting moment during WWII. Glad to hear it wasn't that bad. :rock

LIKED Valkyrie very much. And I had very high expectations from the onset months ago based on the cast and the subject matter. I also have no problem with Cruise's acting. Flaky in his non-movie life yes; but I try not to let my movie-watching influence me. (just like I'll be trying to give the even-flakier Mickey Rourke a fair viewing in "The Wrestler" later). Ever since I saw Cruise going toe-to-toe with Newman in "Color of Money", I've thought he had chops to him.

I saw this with my girlfriend tonight and we both really enjoyed this moive. Cruise was actually pretty good in it. I say if you like WWII films go and see this one.

great movie. i enjoyed it a lot and thought it was excellently done by singer.

I saw this on X-mas day. I too liked it. It wasn't Schindler's List, but it was decent. The biggest problem (and its not really a problem) is we all knew the ending. But other than the fact they were going to fail, I had no knowledge of the story. So this was indeed a facinating history lesson for me.

And I had no idea Cruise was missing his hand and two fingers from the trailers! Complete shock to me. I thought they'd cop out and use a "fake" hand, but they didn't. Very cool (and creepy). I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise jumping on couches or worshiping science, but I thought he actually did a good job in this film.

As a side note, did he do any running in this film? Maybe very little at the begining? I honestly don't remember him doing his traditional running!

And I had no idea Cruise was missing his hand and two fingers from the trailers! Complete shock to me. I thought they'd cop out and use a "fake" hand, but they didn't. Very cool (and creepy).

I'd read going in that they CG the missing appendages. It did look like there was something in his sleeve at times, but I guess that could be how it would look if he was really missing his hand.

LIKED Valkyrie very much. And I had very high expectations from the onset months ago based on the cast and the subject matter. I also have no problem with Cruise's acting. Flaky in his non-movie life yes; but I try not to let my movie-watching influence me. (just like I'll be trying to give the even-flakier Mickey Rourke a fair viewing in "The Wrestler" later). Ever since I saw Cruise going toe-to-toe with Newman in "Color of Money", I've thought he had chops to him.

The casting of Rourke as a burnt out, beaten up piece of meat is perfect. The real man blending with the character. That's why Travolta playing dim bulbs works and playing intelligent characters doesn't. Problem with Cruise is he always plays the best 'whatever', fighter pilot, lawyer, pool player, secret agent, in this case Nazi, and plays them the exact same way. Have him play an arrogant d-bag, Magnolia, and it would be as perfect casting as Rourke playing Marv or The Wrestler.

I want to see this movie... without reading this thread or any review, does Hitler make an appearance in the movie ever?

Just curious.

Yup. Hitler is seen a few times, though I could've done without that scene of him in a speedo. :yuck

I want to see this movie... without reading this thread or any review, does Hitler make an appearance in the movie ever?

Just curious.

Yeah, Hitler is in the film a number of times. Cruise talks to him a few times and he interacts with the rest of the characters.

Back