How to show off your Terminator/Alien collection.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJDD

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I've started to build up my collection of Terminator and Alien collectibles but then I thought. Where the **** am I going to put them? I mean I've seen some of the setups some of you have around here and, well, I'm not impressed hah (no offense).
I'm thinking of trying to theme the glass coffin I put these collectables into.
Problem is I have little experience in lighting etc.

I thought maybe we could all get together some advice and ideas on the best themes for the Terminator and Alien series.

Terminator Series Theme
I'm thinking something like the Cyberdyne Vault in Terminator 2. Cold and blue.
021007endoarm_01.jpg

Alien Series Theme
A theme from the Aliens colony corridors would be sick. I did in fact see that a couple of people had gone and bought some fish tack floor filters that look a lot like the metal grid walkways.

Any ideas on how we could go about this sort of stuff? Any people with experience with lighting and staging able to pitch in on properly lighting a glass cabinet?

Guess it was me who started the whole fish-tank thing. :)

Something I noticed from the Terminator and ALIENS movies was the blue tint in both movies. For example, look at the "future-war" scenes in Terminator, and you will see that there's a blue tint. Also, most scenes in aliens also have that tint. I think it's sort of a James Cameron trademark.

So... I recommend using blue-LEDs. Some "white"-LEDs are also so bright that they give off a light blue shade. You can also look into that.
I find that the cheapest way is to get some puck-lights. (the ones people use to light shelves/ drawers/ and walkways)

Here are some pictures of the LED's in action.
Hope this helps.

Blue LEDs:
Pix016.jpg

Pix012.jpg

Aliensdiorama016.jpg

Super white LEDs:
f6eea3ce.jpg

Picture2075.jpg

Picture031.jpg

The dio:
02d87ba3.jpg

I mean I've seen some of the setups some of you have around here and, well, I'm not impressed hah (no offense).
Wow man, thats nice. I know you said know offense, but its like sayin "your car looks like ^^^^, no offense." When someone says 'no offense,' offense is usually intended, just my personal experience.

guys relax, it seems you're all taking offense lol.

Just take it as a joke, and give him some advice :)

lol this thread reminds me of:

Burke: This is a multi-million dollar installation, okay? He can't make that kind of decision, he's just a grunt!
[to Hicks]
Burke: Ah, no offense.
Hicks: None taken.

lol this thread reminds me of:

Burke: This is a multi-million dollar installation, okay? He can't make that kind of decision, he's just a grunt!
[to Hicks]
Burke: Ah, no offense.
Hicks: None taken.

i say we nuke this guy from orbit! who does he think he is? he obviously hasn't seen my display set up :

2002_0126Image0005.jpg

hah, you ALL know what I mean. From what I've seen (so far) there are basically 2 kinds of setup. One thats just crazy awesome and probably cost almost as much to make as half the collectables, and one that is just some book shelf or random corner of a room.
I've found little to no setups that meet the middleground. That is to say, no setups that have had some real effort put into them yet not cost excessive amounts in cash and space. Oh and by the way, please feel free to prove me wrong with some pics if this is not the case. I probably went a bit far stereotyping this entire forum heh. Its just that in my time looking through the forum, thats what I've seen.

Now, back on topic. I definately want to put em all into a glass cabinet of some kind. Any advice? For example I'm thinking I don't want any that have shelves at foot height. I want chest height only. I think I'll definately do the fishtank grid flooring with blue/white LEDs and some puck lights. Any other ideas?

what about facebox's setup - cost effective, movie accurate and bloody impressive. if i could i'd display my stuff in there and put a big acrylic lid over the whole scene.

Back