Microsoft faces new Xbox 360 reliability accusations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Fix would have cost 50c per machine, suit claims
By Mike Smith

Remember last week's story about Jason Johnson, the Illinois man who sued Microsoft over his Xbox 360's alleged habit of scratching his game DVDs?

Documents unsealed in his court case revealed Microsoft discovered its Xbox 360 could scratch discs before it went on sale in 2005, and even got as far as considering three possible solutions to the problem, the Seattle Tech Report revealed today.

The characteristic circular scratches can occur whenever the orientation of the console -- which is designed to be used in either a horizontal or vertical position -- is changed while the drive is spinning. Johnson filed his suit after his console scratched three store-bought game discs, and is seeking $50,000 in punitive damages.

Testimony obtained from a Microsoft program manager indicates that Microsoft became aware of the problem months before the 360's launch when retail demonstration consoles malfunctioned. The company examined three solutions: strengthening the magnets that hold the discs in place, slowing the rotational speed of the discs, and installing rubber bumpers to cushion the discs, but rejected them all. Installing the bumpers could have cost as little as $0.50 per console, the suit claims.

It's not the first time Microsoft has come under fire for alleged foreknowledge of Xbox 360 hardware issues, either. Back in September, an expose penned by VentureBeat writer Dean Takahashi claimed systemic failures in Microsoft's design and quality assurance processes lead to the Xbox 360's now-infamous overheating "Red Ring of Death" failures.

Also I am fairly certain that the instructions tell you to not rotate the machine while a disc is in the system. Seems like common sense to me. It is no different then Sony and the correct way to power down their systems. Idiots turn the system on and off from the switch in the back and most don't know they are harming their system. Same thing with the PS2.

Fix would have cost 50c per machine, suit claims
By Mike Smith

Remember last week's story about Jason Johnson, the Illinois man who sued Microsoft over his Xbox 360's alleged habit of scratching his game DVDs?

Documents unsealed in his court case revealed Microsoft discovered its Xbox 360 could scratch discs before it went on sale in 2005, and even got as far as considering three possible solutions to the problem, the Seattle Tech Report revealed today.

The characteristic circular scratches can occur whenever the orientation of the console -- which is designed to be used in either a horizontal or vertical position -- is changed while the drive is spinning. Johnson filed his suit after his console scratched three store-bought game discs, and is seeking $50,000 in punitive damages.

Testimony obtained from a Microsoft program manager indicates that Microsoft became aware of the problem months before the 360's launch when retail demonstration consoles malfunctioned. The company examined three solutions: strengthening the magnets that hold the discs in place, slowing the rotational speed of the discs, and installing rubber bumpers to cushion the discs, but rejected them all. Installing the bumpers could have cost as little as $0.50 per console, the suit claims.

It's not the first time Microsoft has come under fire for alleged foreknowledge of Xbox 360 hardware issues, either. Back in September, an expose penned by VentureBeat writer Dean Takahashi claimed systemic failures in Microsoft's design and quality assurance processes lead to the Xbox 360's now-infamous overheating "Red Ring of Death" failures.

Then he shouldnt have moved it while it was running what an idot. I guess if he would have put it in the toilet he would have sued them for a machine that wasnt waterproof.:lol

3 scratched game disks = $50,000 :confused:

I guess I need to get a lawyer and go after EA because their gamecase cracked my Madden Football. :lol

Also I am fairly certain that the instructions tell you to not rotate the machine while a disc is in the system. Seems like common sense to me. It is no different then Sony and the correct way to power down their systems. Idiots turn the system on and off from the switch in the back and most don't know they are harming their system. Same thing with the PS2.

I flip the switch on the back to turn my system on same with turning it off. Turning on I wait for the red light then press power and same thing with turning it off, wait for red light and flick switch off. What's wrong with that :confused:

I flip the switch on the back to turn my system on same with turning it off. Turning on I wait for the red light then press power and same thing with turning it off, wait for red light and flick switch off. What's wrong with that :confused:
Thats fine but people while its got the green light flip the switch.

God that's just retarded. What logical reason would there be to move the system while it's running.

On the other hand, if it would have cost just $0.50 to fix and make this lawsuit frivolous, then Microsoft probably should have done it.

I do support Microsoft and the xbox 360. It is the best system there is; but regardless I do believe Microsoft was aware of the RROD issue prior to launch.

Do I care? No, not now anyhow, maybe back in 2005 I might have.

It is ridiculous if they knew that and didn't fix it. We have three 360's in my house and two games that have a ring scratched around the outside of the disc. I don't know which box is the culprit and I'm kind of scared to play anything right now.

That's so funny, I have seen these scratches in person. I was at a swapmeet and some kid was selling the "Lego starwars complete 6 games on 1 disc " (whatever its called) for $15. I was considering it, but when I looked at the disc, it ad circular scratches about 1 inch away from the center of the disc, so I passed.

Now that I see this story, it would be really tough to scratch a disc like this unless a machine did it.

Meanwhile, my Xbox has been running like a champ with exception of 2 freezes (non RROD related) in the few years I've owned it.

i haven't had any issues yet on either of my 360s. bought one on launch day that still runs perfect and i have one of the first Elites that runs perfect. why would you move the system while its turned on anyways????

Many have experienced the scratching problem, and not from moving the system while loaded. I've never had the issue with mine, just the RROD once, but I know friends have had discs scratched through simple use. Not good.

I like my 360 as much as anyone, but no one can deny Microsoft seriously rushed it through development simply to get it out there before the competition. I won't be buying the next Box at launch - I'll wait and see if it's reliable first. Sad but true...

That's so funny, I have seen these scratches in person. I was at a swapmeet and some kid was selling the "Lego starwars complete 6 games on 1 disc " (whatever its called) for $15. I was considering it, but when I looked at the disc, it ad circular scratches about 1 inch away from the center of the disc, so I passed.

Now that I see this story, it would be really tough to scratch a disc like this unless a machine did it.

Meanwhile, my Xbox has been running like a champ with exception of 2 freezes (non RROD related) in the few years I've owned it.

Give it time, I too had a working system that I have only played 3 games on, then...RROD 2 weeks ago. Cawcksuckers.

Back