Pippin's Scarf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's tons of scarfs (scarves?) made for Barbie and plush bears, etc. Just got to search for a scarf that is close in design and/or takes dye to make it right. Going the "Barbie" way won't be ideal. Salvageable at best. I've been searching and I've found some that might work but the pattern isn't correct.

What we need is a custom scarf. Or material that we can buy in a large 'sheet' and cut off several lengths to make our own scarf.

Last possibility is to find a plain white scarf or suitable material and "print" the color and pattern on the material.

We could be relying heavily on this printable method... I know it works well for small labels and badges, but I have no ideal how well it works on larger items like shirts and vests. Plus, in the vest's case, it will have to print on the colored or dyed vest because I imagine you can't dye a fabric once its been 'printed' on.

...I imagine you can't dye a fabric once its been 'printed' on.

You are correct there.

One challenge as well is finding a material which drapes nicely. I really don't want Pippin with a goofy starched scarf that doesn't look natural.

Is there anyway we can contact Kevin Ellis and see what his solution might have been?

Kniting the pattern seems impractical and prolly too difficult in this scale. :confused:

My inclination is to hand dye the pattern using inks and brushes. If it were a white cotton scarf I know the pattern could be selectively dyed in spots, but I wonder if the main color of the scarf could be dyed around it and still look uniform in color? I wonder about getting a tight weave and good fringe.

This is the only 1:6 scarf I've seen, and not quite ideal. a bit heavy looking, wide, and the fringe isn't in scale.
I think an actually knit scarf is not the right look as the weave is so tight of the screen used one. The right patterned bit of fabric cut & sewn into strips with fringe added I think is the right way to go.

5.jpg

The idea is not to recreate but to emulate. That goes for all 1/6th articles of clothing.

For those of you that have different 1/6th figures in your collection, take a moment to view them all in a different light. Look at the different materials that make up their clothing and see if there is any, regardless of the color, that emulates the scarf material, inregards to knit or pattern.

In looking over my figures, I noticed that the inner robe of Palpatine has a good texture for a scarf. Heck, even the material used for the Jedi robes would be pretty good. I'm not about to start cutting these items up, but can try looking for similar patterns at a fabric store. Just an idea.

Here's the best thing I can think of thus far.

A blue/grey strip of cotton cut double wide, then folded and sewn into a "tube".

Using a "<<<" shaped stamp cut from cork, stamp the colored hounds tooth pattern onto the fabric. To get a varying color in the "<<<" pattern, dip the stamp into a swirl of purple and gold.

Finally, hand sew/knot single threads at the ends for the fringe.

Go on eBay and put in a search for Barbie Scarf. You'll see all kinds of examples.

2008_0505bisi0005.jpg

This is very much what I am proposing above. You'll see that its basically a double wide cloth, folded and sewn shut. It looks like the fringe is actually placed inside the folded scarf prior to being sewn shut. Good idea. Hardest part will be sewing a straight line...lol. Also getting the stamped pattern right.

I'll try to make this over the weekend with some fabric my wife has sitting around. One thing I would probably do that the picture above didn't is flip the thing inside out after sewing the side to hide the seam.

If I can do this satisfactorily, are people willing to buy it or is this something everyone wants to do themselves?

Last edited:
Here's the best thing I can think of thus far.

A blue/grey strip of cotton cut double wide, then folded and sewn into a "tube".

Using a "<<<" shaped stamp cut from cork, stamp the colored hounds tooth pattern onto the fabric. To get a varying color in the "<<<" pattern, dip the stamp into a swirl of purple and gold.

Finally, hand sew/knot single threads at the ends for the fringe.

This is a good idea and printing the pattern is the most likely solution that SS would've used but I'm worried it would come out looking like the Hot Toys Joker tie which I do not care for.

My mother-in-law who lives with us loves to sew and knit. My wife has taken an interest in this project and volunteered to help me engineer clothing for my figures. I was sort of hoping to see what I could scrounge up on ebay and modify the clothing a bit.

My mother-in-law who lives with us loves to sew and knit. My wife has taken an interest in this project and volunteered to help me engineer clothing for my figures. I was sort of hoping to see what I could scrounge up on ebay and modify the clothing a bit.

LOL Almost word for word my plans too. My mother-n-law also lives with us and is a seamstress and I was going to ask her to help me alter the existing SS hobbit clothes. :lol

I have made progress on the scarf. I am happy with the tubular inside out method. Currently trying to figure out the fringe.

Back