PS3 and External Hard Drive Question...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nash

Super Freak
Reaction score
Searched google but the only news i found on my question is a year old.

Does anyone know if the PS3 can support External HDs in NTSF format? I want to get some downloaded HighDef movie files onto my PS3's hard drive and they are well over 4gb in size. Anyone know how?

Searched google but the only news i found on my question is a year old.

Does anyone know if the PS3 can support External HDs in NTSF format? I want to get some downloaded HighDef movie files onto my PS3's hard drive and they are well over 4gb in size. Anyone know how?

You can always swap the PS3 HD to an larger one. Maybe 250 gigs. The instructions are online. I would go with that. And use the current HD as an external one.

You can always swap the PS3 HD to an larger one. Maybe 250 gigs. The instructions are online. I would go with that. And use the current HD as an external one.

??

The size of my PS3's HD is not the problem as it is an 80gb with no files on it yet. I was just wondering if you are able to get files larger than 4gb from an external HD which is formatted as NTSF. Since all the info that ive come across says "NO" but that info is a year old...I havent found any news on this which may possibly have changed with recent updates or whatever..

I tried and found no way unless you can do by booting to linux instead but nothing through the PS3 interface.

Can you share it via a media server? It would still reside on PC but could be played on tv via PS3

I tried and found no way unless you can do by booting to linux instead but nothing through the PS3 interface.

Can you share it via a media server? It would still reside on PC but could be played on tv via PS3

Ive read that you can do that using TVersity or something...havent researched that yet.

Im assuming that I'd need a wireless router to set up a media server like that?

Ive read that you can do that using TVersity or something...havent researched that yet.

Im assuming that I'd need a wireless router to set up a media server like that?

I run TwonkyMedia, on my PC and then the PS3 could see that running on the PC. You tell the software what to share. You just need the PC and the PS3 on the same network, wired or wireless.

I run TwonkyMedia, on my PC and then the PS3 could see that running on the PC. You tell the software what to share. You just need the PC and the PS3 on the same network, wired or wireless.

ah. How do I get the PS3 on the same network as my laptop? Im wired right now but should be getting a router to go wireless relatively soon.

ah. How do I get the PS3 on the same network as my laptop? Im wired right now but should be getting a router to go wireless relatively soon.
Are they both plugged into the same router? If so they are on same network.

I have to say, I just put a 320 gig HD in my PS3 last week, and I also figured out how to stream media to it wirelessly with the TVersity free software, and I couldnt be happier. As for an external drive, yes, it has to be FAT32 which means 4gig file size limit.
I have found that streaming wireless has absolutely no problems, no hiccups, no buffering, no stuttering, it runs perfect for me.

I have to say, I just put a 320 gig HD in my PS3 last week, and I also figured out how to stream media to it wirelessly with the TVersity free software, and I couldnt be happier. As for an external drive, yes, it has to be FAT32 which means 4gig file size limit.
I have found that streaming wireless has absolutely no problems, no hiccups, no buffering, no stuttering, it runs perfect for me.

I think TVersity is my only option at this point. Are you able to copy the files from TVersity to your PS3's hard drive?

I think TVersity is my only option at this point. Are you able to copy the files from TVersity to your PS3's hard drive?
No you stream files from your PC to the PS3.

No you stream files from your PC to the PS3.

damn that sucks, i was hoping to free up space on my PC and just leave them on the ps3.

What about a 16GB jump drive, I take it that it is the same situation as the external drives? Wont recognize unless it is formatted as FAT32 and therefore only 4gb files?

I can copy anything I can stream to the PS3 hard drive but I don't use TVersity.

damn that sucks, i was hoping to free up space on my PC and just leave them on the ps3.

What about a 16GB jump drive, I take it that it is the same situation as the external drives? Wont recognize unless it is formatted as FAT32 and therefore only 4gb files?

Correct, the PS3 will only recognize FAT32 formatted hard drives or usb jump drives.

I can copy anything I can stream to the PS3 hard drive but I don't use TVersity.

ok, not sure what i'm doing wrong. hopefully someone can help...

I got TVersity to work (finally got a wireless router), and my PS3 recognized it. However when I tried to stream my movie it was scaled down from a 4.7GB file to 1.1GB on my PS3. The quality was terrible and the audio sounded like it was recorded underwater. Why is my file being scaled down on my PS3 and how do I play the regular 720P quality file? By the way, it is a .mkv file.

ok, not sure what i'm doing wrong. hopefully someone can help...

I got TVersity to work (finally got a wireless router), and my PS3 recognized it. However when I tried to stream my movie it was scaled down from a 4.7GB file to 1.1GB on my PS3. The quality was terrible and the audio sounded like it was recorded underwater. Why is my file being scaled down on my PS3 and how do I play the regular 720P quality file? By the way, it is a .mkv file.

I don't use TVersity but found this that you can check:

ADVANCED SETTINGS FOR USERS WHO KNOW WHAT THEYRE DOING

If you get pass the hard part and have the video transcoding working. With enough CPU power, we can get much better picture quality instead of the default MPEG1 transcoding.

Bring up TVersity and goto the Transcoder tab. Set Optimization for Quality, Connection Speed: Wired or Wireless, Connection Quality: Excellent, Compression: Minimum. Set Max Video resolution to 1280x720 or upto 1920x1080 depends on your video clips native max resolution. And check the Decoding Speed option.

Stop the TVersity sharing. Goto the TVersity program file folder Media Server and find the profile.xml Open it and search for mpeg16 (should be under PS3 section). Change mpeg16 to mpeg2 to use MPEG2 transcoding instead of MPEG1. After modify save the change.

Optional (some say this will further improve the video quality): find the config.xml under TVersity program file folder Media Server. Open it and find the videoCompressionRatio="12", change 12 to a lower value (less compression) such as 5. You may also try to slightly increase the transcoding bitrate by adjust the bitrate="8000000" (default 8Mbps) value. After modify save the change.

Bring up TVersity and start the sharing. Clean all cached file in the General tab Temporary Media Files.

Play the transcoding video file from the PS3 and the video quality should be much improved if your original clip is in high quality.

You could also use a program called MKV2VOB to encode the MKV to a VOB file that you can stream straight with TVersity without having to have it encoded for streaming.

Last edited:
Ive tried using MKV2VOB but I have no luck. WHen I try to access them on my PS3 via TVersity, it says corrupted data. Natrix you got clear instructions on how to transcode using MKV2VOB? Maybe im doing something wrong when transcoding.

Back