Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Plastic Figure Addict
    Feedback
    Default Re: GIMLI Customs...

Quote Originally Posted by creature4000 View Post
    SS freaking Sucks for ending this line!!!!!
    I never thought we'd have to resort to cobbling together the rest of the Fellowship, but if that's what we gotta do, then so be it!

Hidden Content "We're all in strung out shape, but stay frosty...and alert. We can't afford to let one of those bastards in here." (Corp. D. Hicks, USCM)

You wish it, I dish it... MODERATOR
    Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Second to certain Hobbits, Gimli is a must have for any LOTR collection.
    x

Plastic Figure Addict
    Feedback
    I decided to post pics now... Gimli's more important than sleep! The pics aren't the best, but DiD did a decent job on the face sculpt, parts of the costume are quite good, and the axes are very nicely made. I think he'd be a good base for building an ultimate 1:6 Gimli.

Edit: Now it's really late... I'll post comparison pics tomorrow, for anyone who's interested. Good night & Happy Halloween!
    Last edited by Mudshark; 10-31-2008 at 11:35 AM.
    Hidden Content "We're all in strung out shape, but stay frosty...and alert. We can't afford to let one of those bastards in here." (Corp. D. Hicks, USCM)

Wahooooo!!!!
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Does anyone have both Gimlis for a side by side comparison?

I picked up the ToyBiz Gimli for really cheap on eBay. So keep checking!

Been wanting the did weapons for awhile and passed up the chance for a set for 14.99 well I just scored a boxed Gimli for 15.00+shipping. Will add the weapons along with some Dml chain mail. Should look good when finished.

Torturer of OCD
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwing View Post
    Been wanting the did weapons for awhile and passed up the chance for a set for 14.99 well I just scored a boxed Gimli for 15.00+shipping. Will add the weapons along with some Dml chain mail. Should look good when finished.
    You got a DiD Gimli for $15? Nice! Where - how? I need one too.

Let me know about what we spoke about when you can.
    Hidden Content
    Freaks Dilemma: desperate need for completion vs. desire for perfection

Plastic Figure Addict
    Feedback
    I don't have the ToyBiz Gimli here for comparison right now, but here are some pics of the DiD Gimli with SSC's Frodo and Boromir. He looks to be just about the right height and proportion standing next to the other figures. Unfortunately, he probably won't be as easy to find as ToyBiz Gimli.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wor-Gar View Post
    You got a DiD Gimli for $15? Nice! Where - how? I need one too.

Let me know about what we spoke about when you can.
    I don't really like too much about the did one. And while the weapons are nice, that they're metal turns me off.

Torturer of OCD
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudshark View Post
    I don't have the ToyBiz Gimli here for comparison right now, but here are some pics of the DiD Gimli with SSC's Frodo and Boromir. He looks to be just about the right height and proportion standing next to the other figures. Unfortunately, he probably won't be as easy to find as ToyBiz Gimli.

That seems to work well enough. Very nice.
    Hidden Content
    Freaks Dilemma: desperate need for completion vs. desire for perfection

Plastic Figure Addict
    Feedback
    Thanks, WG. The figure isn't without issues... for example, because of his beard his head has almost no mobility, which is unfortunate. The head sculpt isn't bad at all, though, and with a good repaint would look really good, imo.

The costume is also pretty decent, although his pauldrons and vambraces could probably use an upgrade. His gauntlets are made of knit fabric and look more like mittens, but they don't look all that bad. The weakest part of his costume is the chain mail hauberk, but as someone suggested already, there are other options, like using the ones from Dragon's "Timeline" figures.

I actually like his metal weapons. He comes with 5 different axes. They aren't too heavy and are nicely made with real wooden hafts, wrapped with a leather-like material.

With all this I think it would be an excellent figure to customize/accurize, and would look a lot less toyish than the ToyBiz figure, imho. When I first got him I was only planning to swap out the axes later on when SSC got around to making Gimli, but when I saw the figure itself I realized it was a lot nicer than I'd expected. Now I'm really glad I held on to it.
    Last edited by Mudshark; 10-31-2008 at 11:01 PM.