Upgrade PS3 harddrive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Tomandshell did it and was successful, I might do this 'cause I've had my PS3 for a while and is no longer under warranty.

I think Tomandshell did it and was successful, I might do this 'cause I've had my PS3 for a while and is no longer under warranty.

This could be the one feature that pushes the PS3 over the 360 if the PS3 gains any momentum. A 500 gig PS3 over a 120 gig 360 is mighty tempting to developers.

It shouldn't affect the warranty. They have the instructions that show how to swap out hard drives in the manual that comes with the PS3.

It shouldn't affect the warranty. They have the instructions that show how to swap out hard drives in the manual that comes with the PS3.

Good point. And your not actually cracking open the case. It is like the PS2 HDD, it was just a slot that you slid the HDD in. Unlike a PC where you had to open the case and expose all the internal components.

Ah well in that case, then it shouldn't. As long as you don't open up the chassis, then it should be all good.

My warranty is gone anyway, but I won't be upgrading myself.

Now if you'll excuse me....I need to go home and put some water in buck nasty's momma's dish. :lecture

i put the 500gb drive in mine and so far its working fine. upgrading the drive does not void the warranty. sony provides instructions on this procedure in the PS3 owner's manual.

What speed is everyone putting in their system?? 5400RPM or 7200RPM??

I wouldn't want to put in a faster drive if it's only rated for a 5400RPM HDD.

i put in a 7200rpm first and it was fine. but i wouldnt recommend it because the fans in the system are always running and i doubt the system was designed for that kind of load. definitely buy a 5400rpm if you have the choice. cheaper and runs fine as it is.

I had to get a new hard drive when the original 20 GB failed back in August. The warranty was expired anyway, so I wasn't worried about that. However, the system is made to be upgraded--they give you official instructions and you don't have to crack the thing open, just slide the old drive out the side panel and slip the new one in. If it takes you more than a minute or two, I'd be shocked. Just a little wait when you turn it on and it gets formatted, but then you're ready to go. You do lose your game save files, so back those up first.

I got THIS ONE from Amazon, and I see it's already fifteen bucks cheaper than it was two months ago. 250 GB, 5400 rpm. Not loud at all. I now have more hard drive space than I know what to do with.

Back