Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG by Bioware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
Announced today at a press event by LucasArts and Bioware in San Francisco (a liveblog of which you can follow here), Star Wars: The Old Republic is the new Bioware Star Wars game that's been rumored to be an MMO since it's inception.

lucasarts_liveblog.jpg
the_old_republic.jpg

From Kotaku:

BioWare and LucasArts have officially announced Star Wars: The Old Republic, the second massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the Star Wars universe. While technically not a replacement for Sony Online Entertainment's Star Wars Galaxies, BioWare brands the ambitious MMO, set in the time period of previous Knights of the Old Republic games as a sequel of sorts to those games — events occur some three centuries after KOTOR II — calling the MMO "Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12-plus."

Two factions, the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, will also incorporate two paths, light side and dark side.

"You can play as the good guy in the bad place trying to do good things or the bad guy in the good place trying to do bad things," according to BioWare.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is currently scheduled for a PC release, but a date has yet to be determined. For more details, including artwork and screen shots, read
on.

Star Wars: The Old Republic revealed [GameSpot]

Check out the Gamespot article for a lot more info and more pics.

The official site can be found here. Thanks to IrishJedi.

More coverage and pics at IGN

Another update - SW: The Old Republic is seriously being considered for consoles.

klaatu_screen011.jpg

Last edited:
Bioware's previous games have been released on consoles and pc, and MMO's have definitely been attempted before on consoles, so I'm pretty sure it'll happen. Whether or not PC players and console players will be able to share the same world and interact cross-platform is the real issue.

In any case, I'm pretty excited for this one. Will get me back into an MMORPG. Haven't played one since WoW, and that was back in 2006.

Well count me out. MMO's are for fat kids with no friends. Not even fat kids with friends will play this piece of ^^^^. :lecture

Well count me out. MMO's are for fat kids with no friends. Not even fat kids with friends will play this piece of ^^^^. :lecture
there is no way in hell I will play this. You think the kids that play Halo and games like that all day are bad, the kids and adults that play there are in w whole different category.

there is no way in hell I will play this. You think the kids that play Halo and games like that all day are bad, the kids and adults that play there are in w whole different category.

Depends on the community. The people i played SWG with were/are great people and i'm still friends with them today. I've played some WOW and EQ and it was just ^^^^ as far as community goes. Lord of the rings online was/is also very friendly and cool. So i wouldn't lump all of those "kids" into the same group. Good things about this is a lot of parents don't wanna pay to play so that takes those people right out. But the people i played SWG with were all in their mid to late 20's and late 30's and it was great.

Looks like they're going with a slightly cartoony "World of Warcraft" look to the graphics. Which is good so it can insure more players can play it.

I don't know who developed SW Galaxies (never once played it) but BioWare is doing this and BioWare >>>> just about any other developer out there (including perhaps the beloved Blizzard). The first KOTOR is a masterpiece and may always be the best SW video game ever. I'm not too keen on MMOs and would rather this be a true KOTOR 3, but since it's BioWare I am going to give this game the benefit of the doubt and jump in with both feet. Can't wait to see more.

Back