Need some help ( wireless issues )

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitFisto

Super Freak
Reaction score
I picked up an Elite 360 today. For some reason I can connect to my router, but it would not give me an IP address. The test kept failing for IP address. My router has all my PPPoE info in it so I should only have to set the 360 to obtain everything automatically. Well, it won't work, but if I enter in my user name and password into the PPPoE field I can at least sign into live.

The problem is that I can't stay connected and when I run the test I am not getting either an MTU error or ICMP error ( mostly MTU ). It says that the 360 needs a min setting of 1364 for MTU and mine is 1492 so it should be fine.

The BEST part isI moved my profile to my MU card and when I moved my other 360 to my bedroom it all of a sudden not has the same issue. MTU failure.

Sometimes when i boot either system up I can sign into live just fine, but when I put a game in I get disconnected and can't reconnect. It's on both systems now.

If I don't enter my PPPoE info in then I keep getting IP address failures, but since the PPPoE info in entered into my router I should not even have to enter this field on the 360's. I should be able to just set everything to auto and be good to go, but something is wrong here.

My laptop is working just fine wireless right now off my router so I have no clue what's going on here. Can any of you computer experts help?

Now it seems that sometimes it will give me the IP address set on auto w/o having to enter in the PPPoE user name and password, but then I keep getting the MTU failure. I am about to snap here. I wonder if my router is just going to lunch, but my laptop seems to be working just fine on it.

I don't think it;s router because I am running a system update on my PS3 right now and it's working fine. I just don't see how both 360's are having this strange issue. My original 360 was fine until I moved my Gamer Profile to my MU and moved it back and forth between systems a couple of times.

I am so pissed I might return the Elite and just give up. I hate all this computer crap and it never seems to work like it should.

Are you trying to go wireless on the 2? Try hardwireing one and wireless on the other. Mabey reset your router to. probably won't work, but i tried.:eek:

I have reset my router. I am only trying to get my original 360 to work on the wireless right now and it just won't. Sometimes I get the auto IP address I should which is my routers address and sometimes it gives me some random IP and the test fails. I have just had it with this ^^^^.

Fist off if you are running through a router you should not need PPPOE info that is used when the modem does not establish the connection to the ISP. Your Modem or Router should have this in it and be establishing the connection. I need to check the XBOX setting page and i will try and help

just run a cable.

Not that easy.

Mark,

Yeah, I know I should not need to enter my PPPoE info cause it's in my router. Sometimes it drows my routers IP and sometimes it draws some random # and fails. I moved my modem and router into my room jsut to test so I could use a lan cable and it's working fine that way, but I can't keep the stuff in here. This is just so frustrating.

so it seems the 360 is not "plug and play" easy after all?

This is a will work as a basic setup.

Ok in the Basic setting tab you should have the IP setting set to automatic and the DNS setting set to automatic.

In the Wireless section I cant see all the options but SID will be the wireless network name. The Wireless mode should have an auto setting I think. Network type shoud be infrastructure.

I have a feeling where the real problem is is the Wireless security. Thats the WEP or WPA security code you setup on the router. If you log into your router then look at the wirless page there should be a WEP or WPA wireless key. You will need to type that whole key into the wireless security section. Without this you can connect to the router but router won't allow you to do anything until the key is entered. try that

This is a will work as a basic setup.

Ok in the Basic setting tab you should have the IP setting set to automatic and the DNS setting set to automatic.

In the Wireless section I cant see all the options but SID will be the wireless network name. The Wireless mode should have an auto setting I think. Network type shoud be infrastructure.

I have a feeling where the real problem is is the Wireless security. Thats the WEP or WPA security code you setup on the router. If you log into your router then look at the wirless page there should be a WEP or WPA wireless key. You will need to type that whole key into the wireless security section. Without this you can connect to the router but router won't allow you to do anything until the key is entered. try that

The key is entered. I am connected to my router ( for sure ). The problem is instead of the 360 pulling up the routers IP address it's pulling up some random IP address. That's what makes no sense.

Then when it actually DOES pull up my router IP that's when I get the MTU failure. I plugged in the cable and it worked fine. I unplugged the cable ad the wireless worked great when I rebooted the system 4 times. Then I moved my router and modem back into my office area and the same problem started again with the random IP or the MTU failure.

The key is entered. I am connected to my router ( for sure ). The problem is instead of the 360 pulling up the routers IP address it's pulling up some random IP address. That's what makes no sense.
Hmmm what address are you getting from the 360, is it the same except the last part as the one on the PS3 or laptop?

Also what wireless mode and network type do you have set?

Now the IP address is failing even when I run a cable to my router. if I plug right into my modem it works, but not even a cable to the router is pulling up the routers IP address. WTF???

Hmmm what address are you getting from the 360, is it the same except the last part as the one on the PS3 or laptop?

Nope, the address I am getting is 169.254.50.95 when it should be 192.168.2.1 or something like that.

That's either through wireless or wired now if i go throught the router. it makes no sense.

I think my router is going to lunch or something. I reset the router while still wired and then the correct IP came up. I am so lost right now.

the 169 address is a address that a system will give you if the DHCP (the part that assigns addresses) is not responding. It could be one of two things. One that you have the router to allow to little addresses or two yeah the router is having issues. You can check in the router for DHCP clients or something like that to see how many connections it allows. Even if the system is not connected it will still reserve the IP after giving it to it for an alloted time period before it become available for any system to use.

I have always used the laptop and 360 at the same time so it's not that I am trying to use too many thing at once. I have been having odd speed issues on my laptop the last coupld of weeks as well. sometimes it slows down to almost dial up speed, but when I plugged in a lan cable speed was good. I think the router is going bad at this point. seems to work sometimes and not others.

Back