Annoyed at Microsoft!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giant Chicken

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well, In Jan. of 2007 I bought my 360. In Feb. of 2008 I got my RED RING OF DEATH. I received my refurbished XBox the first week of March 2008...

Everything has been great until last night. I was playing LEGO Batman and I paused it for 45sec. When I went to unpause it the system was frozen. I turned off the machine and now when I turn it on...

The Power Button comes on but the RING does not glow green or red. It is smiply off. There is no audio or video being sent to the tv screen. The tray still opens and the controller still turns the machine on but it will not connect its wireless signal.

So today I call in a repair order. The tech. did not believe me when I told him what my problem was. He said he has never heard of this problem. I was transfered to another tech who also said he has never heard of this problem but said I could send in my unit for repair. He then told me I would need to pay the $100 repair fee becasue the refurbished systems are not under waranty.

After asking why I would have to pay to fix a product that is 6 months old they simply said "Im sorry... thats how it is". I was very nice and asked to speak to his supervisor. The supervisor gave me the same story (script that he read). I then asked to speak to someone higher than him... He transfered me to another person that was in a different location. This person also just read a script to me about how sorry Microsoft was. Everyone was very nice to me but I am annoyed that I cant simply talk to someone without being read a script.

In the end, I broke down and paid the $100. I am annoyed because I feel that the refurbished system should last atleast one year. If it had lasted a year I would not feel as bad about the $100.

i got the damn red rings like 3 times in a row......with different 360's . now i stick only to my PS3.

Go to walmart, buy a 360, swap and take back to walmart.

Won't work--with the Xbox 360 it has a hole in the box where they can read the serial number from the back of the console, when you buy the console they scan the serial as well and it's in their system so they keep track of the consoles they sell.

You could try emailing Bill Gates--some guy did that and got a new console:rolleyes:

So there's no rings at all? Have you checked the power adapter to make sure the light is green when you start the console?

haha when i got the 3 red lights while it was off being fixed i bought one at walmart just so i could play...and when my came back..i returned the one i got from walmart.

yes... and it suppose to be covered with their extended warranty only for RED RING. My new problem is that there is NO ring.

I got mine at Best Buy. When mine broke down, it was the same thing as yours. No red ring, just not working, I just told them it was the red ring and they swapped it out no problem, they didn't even test it. I guess they have so many people doing that, they don't even try it anymore; that it's easier just to do it. If it happens again, I would suggest doing that.

Go to walmart, buy a 360, swap and take back to walmart.

haha when i got the 3 red lights while it was off being fixed i bought one at walmart just so i could play...and when my came back..i returned the one i got from walmart.

You know... things like this just raise the prices for all of us and it really isn't very honest.

What isn't fair is for Microsoft to receive a brand new console only to swap it for a refurbished one and then say because it is refurbished we can't fix it unless you pay $100. If you buy new and it breaks I either want my same console back or a brand new one. The refurbished consoles are sold for about 100 less than new so when you send it in and get the refurbished back your system depreciated in value by 100 dollars. So you lost money sending it back and if you then turn around and have to send the refurbished one back and have to pay another 100 then you are out 200 dollars. We deserve to have brand new consoles since we went out and bought them brand new. I sent them a white console and got one back that was off white, mostly because it was owned by a smoker. My brand new console was much quieter than the refurbished one, looked better and ran better minus the red rings. It's not right.

You know... things like this just raise the prices for all of us and it really isn't very honest.

Dont worry too much about thtis, Walmart already is protecting itself from this type of scam by scanning the Serial code so you cant swap.

AHHHH!!!! Just got my Xbox back in the mail. The front plate is cracked and the USB door is missing! I called Microsoft and they said that it was not their problem and I should contact UPS and file a claim. I told them that the USB door was MISSING!!!! and asked how could UPS be at fault. They assured me that the door was not missing and they would never send out a broken XBOX like that.

I talked to the suppervisor and she finally agreed to send my complaint to the powers that be... she said I will be contacted by Microsoft within the next 48 hours.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!

Well LOSTaddict815 just said when he got his repaired console back he returned the one he bought--like renting

lol...that's one way to look at it. i'm just scared to see the horror stories next month when Gears 2 comes out. you know lots of people are gonna be putting in overtime on their systems

Back