Ebay Scam?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulksmashed

Super Freak
Reaction score
So last night I go to log into Ebay, and after entering my log in info, a new screen pops up asking for Name, adress, credit card number and other information.

The page explained that "Due to fradualent activity" new security practices were being implimented, and the more information you supplied the more protection you would get. Really pressing for ALL of your information.

The page looked quite legit, except for the fact that the grammer was terrible. It almost read like an asian ebay auction. Also, the page iself had a small imperfection in the top solid color bar. And the fact that ebay already has this information on file.

Needless to say I didnt give any information and this morning I was able to go directly to my ebay without any problems.

Just wondering if anyone else had encountered this, and/or heard if ebay was hacked or something last night.

Maybe you mistyped the address?

Nope, exited and entered 3 times with the same result. Plus I initially encountered it after searching ebay auctions and then trying to view completed listings. Then when it asked me to log in, and I did, I got that wierd page.

Nope, exited and entered 3 times with the same result. Plus I initially encountered it after searching ebay auctions and then trying to view completed listings. Then when it asked me to log in, and I did, I got that wierd page.

Looks like they may have embedded the phony dialog box in the HTML code of their listing page... just a thought... not sure really.

Looks like they may have embedded the phony dialog box in the HTML code of their listing page... just a thought... not sure really.

Yeah I guess that could be. Would have loved to enter some information that would have screwed them hard core. Like a police officers card, or like the presidents card or something. They start using it and 3 min later rotting in jail, lol.

So last night I go to log into Ebay, and after entering my log in info, a new screen pops up asking for Name, adress, credit card number and other information.

The page explained that "Due to fradualent activity" new security practices were being implimented, and the more information you supplied the more protection you would get. Really pressing for ALL of your information.

The page looked quite legit, except for the fact that the grammer was terrible. It almost read like an asian ebay auction. Also, the page iself had a small imperfection in the top solid color bar. And the fact that ebay already has this information on file.

Needless to say I didnt give any information and this morning I was able to go directly to my ebay without any problems.

Just wondering if anyone else had encountered this, and/or heard if ebay was hacked or something last night.

Did you notice an S behind the http in the web address?

YES! I did! What does that mean? I still get it when I try to log in from home. The idiots even ask for ATM Pin!!

That means that the site is secure. It's a security thing. I got something similar when logging into paypal about a month ago. My addy bar turned green (which happens on my computer on a secure site that is asking for info) and I got the S after http. I did the info it asked for. No problems. I read on a message board that they do these kinds of checks at random. If you aren't sure, contact them.

Whenever you go onto a site, like a credit card, etc. see if you see the S after http. I just signed into paypal.com and it automatically showed it.

I'd still call them up.

1 800 717 3229
1 800 701 3229

But Ween is correct, the green address bar is a good thing. It's a new security feature being carried out and major sites like Ebay, Amazon, and paypal have incorporated it.

I can log on though from work no issue. Just not at home. The S is there, but its not a green bar. And they ask for ATM pin, mothers Maiden name, and social security number! Im no expert, but I would say that there is no reason for Ebay to know any of that!

Not sure if this link will work, but here it is:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?co_partnerid=2&siteid=0&UsingSSL=1

Also, here is how the thing is worded...again, not an expert, but the wording doesnt sound like a professional ebay person wrote it!

"We have noticed an increasing fraudulent activity recently. In order to provide your security and protect you from fraudsters we have introduced a new system of identification that will help us to avoid any kind of fraud or unauthorised access.

Please enter as more information as possible to provide your complete identification and to activate all the features of the new system."

Enter the following information:

Joe Bloe
123 Fake St.
Bonerland, FT 182930

cc# 0000 0000 0000 0000
exp date: 21 / 2099

atm pin: 1234 (the number some idiot would put on his luggage)

Did you ever use a link through your email to log into ebay? Thats one thing you never ever want to do. Through experience I know this. I logged into my ebay account through an email. I didnt know any better at the time. Next thing you know my account was suspended because someone listed a motorcycle for sale and ebay knew it wasn't me based on my activity history. After plenty of calls to ebay and paypal everything was still ok, nothing was stolen. I did change all my passwords.
But yeah thats how scammers get all your info. They send you an email with a link asking you to log in to your account. The email usually says there is a problem with your account and they need you to verify some info...don't fall for it. In fact I just got one from paypal a couple days ago. The same scenario, supposedly there is a problem with my account so they provided a link for me to log into. I got onto the website and logged into my account and guess what nothing was wrong.
So remeber don't ever log into any of your accounts using any email links. Same goes for any online searches you may do that bring you to a log in screen to ebay. Its better to be safe than sorry.....

asking for "ATM pin, mothers Maiden name, and social security number" = scam/fishing!!

Asking for an SS number is a scam! There's no reason for eBay to ask for that. That's not on record with them!

If that came from an email....forget it!

I just went onto eBay and checked their scam pages. My goodness there are so many ways that your account can be hacked now, that I'm debating on even using it anymore. I'm so glad I don't have my bank account listed with paypal!!!

Yeah the SSN sounds like a scam or some spyware has been installed on your local machine at home. Like others were saying connecting through an e-mail could unleash some havok on ur system. I would try cleaning all offline data, temp folders, cookies, etc... and then run some spyware software to clean it up and if this is not the case then you just spent hours fine tuning your pc rotfl... Which is still a GOOD thing!!! Lemme know me if u have questions, pm or feel free to ask bro!

I've received similar e-mail not long ago. Was hesistant at first, but once it prompted for atm pin, its a phishing e-mail. Do report the link to paypal. And you will be notified thereafter whether its legit or not.....but most likely not

Its really odd. It wasnt through e-mail. It just all of the sudden showed up when I tried to log in. No wierd activity on my Ebay account yet, thankfully! It only took me like 20 sec to figure out it was all a scam/phishing page. I sure do hate the people behind this ^^^^ though.

If you are running Windows, check your hosts file to see if it has been hacked. Go to %windir%/system32/drivers/etc and open the hosts file in notepad...

if you see an entry for eBay or www.eBay.com listed with an IP address in front, your host file has been hacked and you are not logging into the actual eBay site, but a phishing site.

This is a common hack to redirect your computer to a bogus site, even though you are typing the true site URL in your browser.

Never provide credit card info this way. Ebay does not send out emails or ask for that kind of info as part of any login prompt....

Back