I Am Legend Prequel Officially Greenlit at Warner Brothers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOoooooo i love the first one, but im confused which one was the alternate ending? Will smith driving in the car with his new miss? or the one where he dies

Meh, this is a franchise (of sorts) that needs to be left alone. Though a prequel would be interesting I'd rather it be based on the actual source material and not the re-imagined stuff from the latest incarnation.

OOoooooo i love the first one, but im confused which one was the alternate ending? Will smith driving in the car with his new miss? or the one where he dies

Spoiler Spoiler:

so we know hes gonna die , we know how the whole thing ends anyway , and we seen the basic flashbacks explaining the past in the first movie anyway.
I don't think this will work.

The Charlton Heston version (The Omega Man) is the only one that exists to me so they can do what they like with this version.

but I don't see a prequel to this movie working but i could be wrong.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Oooooooooooo

I'm not sure about this either, but at least Sam (the dog) may return. :D

The short story was much more interesting than the movie (which is usually how it is but...). The book for those who didn't read it was about a factory worker in the 50's who was the last to survive and how he went to the library to gather material to do his investigations. He was an average guy but in extraordinary situations, this would have made the movie so much better. I won't ruin the end of the book for those who haven't read it but it has you glued to the pages.

The book is THE ONLY version of this story! I have read the book 3 or 4 times. That is the way it should have been made. I was not happy of what they crapped out.

Looks like the execs are kicking their own asses for killing of big willie:

It appears that Will Smith will be fighting more CG-animated zombies, even though his character met his demise in the theatrically released version of the Warner Bros. surprise hit I Am Legend. Daily Variety reports that the studio has committed to a Legend prequel that will explore the days leading up to the mass evacuation that left scientist Robert Neville the sole surviving human in New York City.
Francis Lawrence, who helmed the first film, is reportedly on board to direct the followup. A script is being penned by relative newcomer D.B. Weiss, and the film will be produced by Akiva Goldsman through his Weed Road, along with Will Smith’s Overlook Ent. partner, James Lassiter.
Richard Matheson’s novel, I Am Legend, was first brought to the screen in 1964 with the Vincent Price vehicle The Last Man on Earth, followed by the 1971 Charlton Heston cult favorite The Omega Man. The Will Smith version features character animation and other effects by Sony Pictures Imageworks under visual effects supervisor Jim Berney.
Warner Bros. actually shot an alternate ending in which Smith’s character survives, and included it on the DVD release. Many fans prefer the alternate conclusion, not only because it’s a bit more upbeat, but because it preserves the complex pathos of Richardson’s novel. When the film raked in more than $584 million worldwide, Warner execs no doubt wished they had gone with that ending, as they suddenly had a tent pole on their hands and had to think up a way to bring Smith back.

If they wanted to bring him back they could somehow make him have survived the explosion. Wouldn't be the first time they did something like that. Then he could fight his way to the survivors camp. Now that would be a truly good movie. Who cares about what happened a few days prior sionce we know how it ends.

The book is THE ONLY version of this story! I have read the book 3 or 4 times. That is the way it should have been made. I was not happy of what they crapped out.

So true.

The book was horrible depressing, but damn good, too.

The movie was getting there, but stopped far back.

There's always the next adaptation. :D

Back