Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kain4521

You know that one too/Mod
Reaction score
With GH:WT and the Rock Band 2 set coming out next month I was thinking of which one to get. I like both set lists with the slight edge going to RB2 because of all the downloadable tracks from RB. I have never played RB but I did own GH2 for a while. Whats the pros and con's of both games.

Go with GH. Can't really list the pros/cons (they are pretty much the same gamewise, for me at least), but i've always liked the GH franchise better.

Thanks Karma the songs are a big thing for me to play these games thats why I didnt pick up GH3 just not enough music I liked.

Yeah but what's your opinion, that's what he wants.

dunno, never played any but I was just illustrating the free DLC as that might sway his opinion

I'd imagine both play the same as it's roughly just hitting the right coloured button in time for both so therefore track list and amount of tracks is the next big thing, so RB2 is 84 plus 20 free later on this year

Last edited:
Rock Band 2 review

9/10

https://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169942

Rock Band 2 improves in several areas over the original. The track list is better, the difficulty has been bumped up, it's more accessible, all previously released DLC works from the get-go, and Battle of the Bands is a brilliant online mode. But there's no getting around the fact that almost nothing was done to the main mode, World Tour. This is still the primary feature of Rock Band and yet it seems to have been neglected. It's hard to notice the newness when there's a big chunk of game that is just the same as it ever was.

That said, music game fans would be absolutely crazy not to buy Rock Band 2. Even if you hate a few of the songs on disc, you are still getting an incredible deal. It's less than a dollar a song, with an extra 20 free DLC coming in the next couple of months. That's just too good to pass up.

i say go with guitar hero. I think the new setlist is much better on GH. plus it has the music creator. besides all that i can't stand the interface on rock band with those rectangular bars. it just looks kinda plain, and the guitar part is way too easy as well, and their drums are way too noisy.

dunno, never played any but I was just illustrating the free DLC as that might sway his opinion

I'd imagine both play the same as it's roughly just hitting the right coloured button in time for both so therefore track list and amount of tracks is the next big thing, so RB2 is 84 plus 20 free later on this year

the thing that gets me with these 2 is the storage of the drum kit and stuff... in my apartment, not really space for them :(

I'm going with RB2...liked the first RB better that any of the GH games and I already have a crap-load of tracks for it that I can use on RB2.

GH3 has the song creator section, it should be pretty fun coming up with your own songs and you know that these songs are gonna hit the net. Should be cool seeing what everyone does.

I'd go with Rock Band 2, it's got the 84 songs on disc, plus you can import all your original Rock Band tracks and all the DLC, there's something like 300 songs potentially for RB2.

Plus, I view Guitar Hero as rip-off now. Harmonix originally developed Guitar Hero then they got bought out and made Rock Band, it's an entirely different company making Guitar Hero now than when it first started. The idea of a boss battle in Guitar Hero completely soured me on that series. I rented the game and hit all the notes but didn't beat the song because the boss hit me with too many special attacks. It just made absolutely no sense, artificially increasing the difficulty.

The same company that makes GH has always made GH. Harmonics was a co developer and when they got bought out they made Rock Band os it's not like some other company has come in and made a new GH.

I'll buy the full set up for GH and then buy the RB game disc since you can use the same drum kit and mic from GH for RB.

havyck, we can finally do the band world tour on RB2 online!

Actually Harmonix studios left Activision when Harmonix wanted to a do a game that included not just guitar, but, drums, bass, and vocals (Rock Band). Activision scoffed at them, they had a falling out, etc. They took the Rock Band idea to EA Games.

I am going with Rock Band 2. GH3 was to much like button mashing then actually feeling like playing music (which RB does. I love playing guitar and singing at the same time, I still have to buy a microphone stand thou). Plus when you factor in DLC and the songs from RB1 that you can upload to RB2 (for $5), you are looking at a total of 500 songs by Christmas (they are promising).

I am not sure for XBOX. But, for PS3, the RB2 instruments are supposed to work with GH:WT.

The same company that makes GH has always made GH. Harmonics was a co developer and when they got bought out they made Rock Band os it's not like some other company has come in and made a new GH.

Medium Length Guitar Hero History Lesson

Guitar Hero was developed (made) by Harmonix, and published (released) by Red Octane. It actually wasn't very popular when it was first released, I bought it on clearance at Target for $40 (yes, $40 for the game and guitar). Red Octane was purchased by Activision, which gave them the rights to Guitar Hero.

The Guitar Hero franchise took off due to Activision's financing. After Guitar Hero 2, Harmonix was purchased by EA. Guitar Hero 80's was rushed out to milk the license, and what would've been Guitar Hero 3 became Rock Band. Harmonix couldn't make Guitar Hero games anymore because they don't own the rights to the name.

Activision owned the rights to Guitar Hero, but didn't have anyone to actually make the game, so they had Neversoft, whose claim to fame is the Tony Hawk games, make Guitar Hero 3.

So, yes, in fact, some new company did come in and make a new Guitar Hero.

It just contributes to the reason I don't like Guitar Hero 3, it was made by a company who didn't know the first thing about making music games. Harmonix did such a good job with Guitar Hero because they have a history of making music games, with Amplitude and Frequency, and so many of their employees are musicians themselves.

I've heard nothing about a falling out between Activision and Harmonix, and can't find any reference of it. It seems like it was simply a business decision. Sometimes, brand names are worth more than the actual product. Kinda like how McDonald's brand name is worth billions, but the food sucks. I know there's a lot of bad blood now, that came out when they tried to make Guitar Hero and Rock Band guitars cross compatible, but that's business.

Last edited:
Back