The next Batman movie approach.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uscmhicks

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have been recentley thinking about both of Nolans batman movies and have been wondering what you guys thought about this.

Basically I preferred the overall story of Batman Begins but preferred the action and awesomeness of the dark knight.

Batman begins had much more emotion and focused on Batman himself alot more. Whilst the Dark knight seemed to focus on Gotham and alot of other characters as well as batman. I felt he didn't get enough build up.
I know we had already had his story in begins but I still felt there could of been a little more emotion there.

I cared more of Commissioner Gordon's children and wife in there 5 minute scene towards the end more than I did Batman through the whole movie.
Overall they were both amazing movies anyway but my question is ...

Which approach would you rather have the next batman movie take ?.
More towards the Begins style or more towards the Dark Knight style ?.

I would have to choose Begins.

:lol
You do it when you strart and add the opning post mate.
Under the box you usually write in the a box to check saying add a poll or something like that and you need to check it, and add how many options you want in the poll, up to 10.
Then it will post your initial thread post and you will need to enter the poll options.
Bob's your uncle...
:duff
x :peace

TDK for me. Realistically.. these movies are made for fans of the material. From the diehard to just casual fans who are familiar with the characters, story etc. I highly doubt that the majority of people watching these films are completely oblivious and have never heard of anything regarding these films. All of these films try to add in origin plot points (in that rare case of someone watching NOT knowing how these characters came about) but some are more ingenius at pulling that off than others. BB had the best approach, Iron Man copied that approach but overall the new Hulk movie had the best approach.

The new Hulk movie essentially put the origin within the opening credits. So the actual movie didn't really deal with it too much. That was great since the majority of people who saw it:

1. Already knew how Banner became Hulk and
2. imo the majority of people who watched THIS Hulk watched the Ang Lee version which exhaustingly covered an origin story for Banner.

Batman Begins had a new approach to Comic Book movie origin plots: it showed not only how Bruce Wayne became Batman (typical) but it also showed why he was afraid of Bats. How his costume came about. How his weapons and vehicle came about. How he met Gordon. How he was trained. How he actually became Batman, not just a jump from orphan to full fledged Dark Knight.

imo Iron Man copied this approach.. showing how the actuall Iron Man suit evolved out of neccessity + all the failures inbetween. If not for BB imo Iron Man would've been a completely different film.

But with all that said, that was the FIRST BB. Notice the title change? TDK wasn't called "Batman Begins 2: The Dark Knight". The first film was about Batman's beginning and by the end of the film he was pretty much the normal Batman we've all come to know. In the second film, Batman only evolves in 2 ways: Gadgets and showing the first signs of the investigative skills he's known for.

It's a natural progression. Batman Begins WAS about Batman. The focus was on him. imo that's why the Scarecrow and Ra's were chosen as the villains: to NOT overshadow Batman. Imagine if in BB the villain was Heath Ledger as the Joker.

imo the next film will follow suit with TDK:
No main villain origin story. Whoever the villain is they'll already be established as such.

More scenes showing Batman's investigative skills.

More focus on the main villain.

More focus on Bruce Wayne and the struggles of having a duel indentity i.e. keeping up appearances.

imo starting with TDK, Batman will never be the main focus of any future films from Nolan like in BB. The character has already been established. Now the focus will be on the rogue gallery, and how they affect Gotham and it's citizens. How Batman is suppose to help fight crime while he himself is viewed as a criminal/murderer. Just my opinion.

I can't help but think a third installment will be more like BB, and focus more on Wayne/Batman. The ending of TDK has set up easily his biggest challenge yet (he has to carry on as Batman, but now Gotham wants his blood), so his character is going to need alot of attention. I'd say that would have to be the focus of the film, how he conquers that and maybe even gets Gotham back on his side. If you had another huge villain (Joker will be hard to top anyway) I don't think it would leave enough room. At least I'd expect that kind of approach from Nolan.

Also I think its pretty safe to assume that if there is another it will most likely be the last one, from Nolan and Bale anyway, so I could see them bringing it to a close, which would therefore need some sort of character resolution for Bruce Wayne.

Bring in Robin of course.

;)
Seriously though I agree with TwelveMonkeys that the third installment will be like BB with a focus on Batman and Wayne but I hope that it will still have the tense moments like TDK. With TDK you had the ferry, Harvey Two Face, Gordon's family and to the possible reveal of Bats to be Wayne. Moments like these need to be in the third movie. Villain wise - I'm not sure who I would like to see. Personally I would have liked to see Two-Face again for a brief moment (like Scarecrow) but that can't be done now - maybe they can do something with Joker but not focus to much on him? Other villains that I would like to see possibly is Mr. Freeze. He is such a tragic character and if you get the right actor like a Patrick Stewart he can be a real threat and not the B&R crap fest.
One thing I hope is that this moive does not fall into the Spider-Man 3 trend where the first movie was great, the second movie was fantastic and the third is well forgetable. I rememeber people saying that Raimi and Tobey wouldn't let Spidey 3 be bad, just as people are saying the same of Nolan and Bale. I hope history is not repeated with the Batman franchise as this is not what Batman needs. Batman and Batman Returns was great but Batman Forever brought in the camp. I don't want to see this trend again.

Bring in Robin of course.

;)
Seriously though I agree with TwelveMonkeys that the third installment will be like BB with a focus on Batman and Wayne but I hope that it will still have the tense moments like TDK. With TDK you had the ferry, Harvey Two Face, Gordon's family and to the possible reveal of Bats to be Wayne. Moments like these need to be in the third movie. Villain wise - I'm not sure who I would like to see. Personally I would have liked to see Two-Face again for a brief moment (like Scarecrow) but that can't be done now - maybe they can do something with Joker but not focus to much on him? Other villains that I would like to see possibly is Mr. Freeze. He is such a tragic character and if you get the right actor like a Patrick Stewart he can be a real threat and not the B&R crap fest.
One thing I hope is that this moive does not fall into the Spider-Man 3 trend where the first movie was great, the second movie was fantastic and the third is well forgetable. I rememeber people saying that Raimi and Tobey wouldn't let Spidey 3 be bad, just as people are saying the same of Nolan and Bale. I hope history is not repeated with the Batman franchise as this is not what Batman needs. Batman and Batman Returns was great but Batman Forever brought in the camp. I don't want to see this trend again.

I agree with that. I hope they don't drop the ball on 3.
So much potential if handled correctly.

I would like the story to be more Begins related. Batman Begins was 10 times better than the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight was a fantastic movie and one of the greatest ever. But BB had a much much better story and the film (cinematography, the feel) was just executed a lot better. I think a lot of people overlook BB and just say, "OH DARK KNIGHT IS THE BEST EVER, HEATH IS THE ^^^^ AND OMG TWO FACE AND THE STORY". People need to go back and watch BB again, it is hard to describe what it is but that film is a real masterpiece and should be getting more credit than it has been getting.

I would like the story to be more Begins related. Batman Begins was 10 times better than the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight was a fantastic movie and one of the greatest ever. But BB had a much much better story and the film (cinematography, the feel) was just executed a lot better. I think a lot of people overlook BB and just say, "OH DARK KNIGHT IS THE BEST EVER, HEATH IS THE ^^^^ AND OMG TWO FACE AND THE STORY". People need to go back and watch BB again, it is hard to describe what it is but that film is a real masterpiece and should be getting more credit than it has been getting.

I can't 100% agree with that---but I get where you're coming from. I think Nolan perfected a lot of what he was going for in BB with TDK.

Regardless, in my opinion Nolan managed to make the two greatest superhero films of all time:

TDK
and a very close second, BB.

And yes, Begins sometimes seems sorely underrated in this TDK mania.

I would like a mix of the two. In TDK, Harvey Dent was Batman's story, in the way that Dent was Bruces' way out. Dent also represented what Bruce wanted when he said he wanted to inspire people, a guy who would take back the city without wearing a mask.

What I want out of the 3rd movie (please Nolan?) is for the main villain to be the Riddler. How I see it happening is the Riddler knows who Batman is and is sending riddles to Gordon and the police to figure it out. They would be traps set out to expose Bruce Wayne for who he is, causing Bruce to have to outsmart him and do detective work, and Gordon trying to play both sides: he's "trying" to figure out the riddles to the police, but secretly working with Batman to keep the riddles from truly exposing who Batman is.

I think then the main villain who supplied the Riddler with Batman's true identity could turn out to be Ras Al Ghul. He wouldn't turn up until the last part of the movie but I would personally love to see him come back.

They could end it like Hush, where the Riddler knows Batman's identity, but Batman plays him with knowing the greatest riddle of all so why would he want to share it with everyone?

I don't know, I would also like to see Two Face brought back in some way. These are just ideas I would like to see.

i couldn't believe dent was killed off, not in a negative to the movie way but he would of been an easy fit for the 3rd movie. for me he was the last "realistic" villain besides the riddler maybe. the riddler makes me worried because i can easily see a POTC Depp and i dont want that. I would prefer the begins style better. There was a fair amount of action there too except for the blurry action scenes. i could easily see a scene in Batman 3 which was batman on the brink of death from getting shot at from the police.

I really don't want to see repeat villains in the 3rd one. I think its fine that Dent is dead and Two-Face was short lived.

Yeah I think they covered all of their bases with Two-Face---and there ain't much left there to explore.

The next one should be gritty as hell, and bring it back to Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Superhero franchises tend to fail when the movie becomes more about the villains, and they teetered the line perfectly with TDK. Any more though---and they would've been in trouble.

imo the next film will follow suit with TDK:
No main villain origin story. Whoever the villain is they'll already be established as such.

More scenes showing Batman's investigative skills.

More focus on the main villain.

More focus on Bruce Wayne and the struggles of having a duel indentity i.e. keeping up appearances.

imo starting with TDK, Batman will never be the main focus of any future films from Nolan like in BB. The character has already been established. Now the focus will be on the rogue gallery, and how they affect Gotham and it's citizens. How Batman is suppose to help fight crime while he himself is viewed as a criminal/murderer. Just my opinion.

I agreed with this entire post but quoted this part especially because this is how I think Nolan is seriously looking at this. Batman becomes a supporting player to the villain still important but still background until the climax.

Also I think its pretty safe to assume that if there is another it will most likely be the last one, from Nolan and Bale anyway, so I could see them bringing it to a close, which would therefore need some sort of character resolution for Bruce Wayne.

Bale has said that he would do Batman films until asked to leave, that he loved the character and wouldn't care if he finished out career with Batman films. Nolan will probably leave unless he has another story to tell. The Rogue gallery is rich with options but he is trying to continue the original three part play that Goyer originally set up. The thing is Goyer set up Two-Face to be the main villain of the third and Nolan rewrote that completely so essentially Goyer would have to supplement the villain to get the story across again with the Nolan brothers. It actually might extend the story to tell because of the breaking of the original mold.

I rememeber people saying that Raimi and Tobey wouldn't let Spidey 3 be bad, just as people are saying the same of Nolan and Bale. I hope history is not repeated with the Batman franchise as this is not what Batman needs. Batman and Batman Returns was great but Batman Forever brought in the camp. I don't want to see this trend again.

Tobey wasn't interesting in playing Peter Parker or Spider-Man in 3 and it was obvious. Raimi had his original vision destroyed by Avi Arad and pressures from the Sony Studios. While the story was weak to begin with, the push was so hard to add Venom that you have to give Raimi credit for really trying to tie it all together. If you remove the Symbiote line from Spider-Man 3 it wasn't that bad. The pressure to add Venom and that line is one of the reasons why Raimi said he would direct Spider-Man 4 but doesn't want anything to do with writing it. If they can keep the pressures from the outside which will be clammering for Joker 2 or just a TDK rewrap and push and really tell the story that they want to I have no fear.

I don't know, I would also like to see Two Face brought back in some way. These are just ideas I would like to see.

Its possible but Two-Face if brought back I think would be a Scarecrow type feel because I seriously doubt he'll be the main villain.

I really don't want to see repeat villains in the 3rd one. I think its fine that Dent is dead and Two-Face was short lived.

I don't mind if Two-Face is in it but in reality the best villain will be the one who can play into the "Redemption" theme that Batman 3 will most likely have. He/She needs to be connected to the actual villain of both films The Mob and I have a feeling that he/she will have to be able to attack both Wayne and Batman. Ras focused on Bruce as Batman was still being created. The Joker focused on Batman as Wayne was a non-interest. I think whomever the next villain will be will have to tie up the idea of duality more than either of the two. This is probably why Two-Face was the original 3rd Villain because he encompasses the idea of Duality but since that card was burned should be interesting to see what Rogue could now take that place.

Age wise Robin wouldn't work even now. Bruce is still much too young to make ^^^^ Grayson work.

One more thing, There was a posting by Goyer saying that WB wants to focus on the crossovers like Marvel is doing with their upcoming films and Green Arrow: Escape from Supermax is doing this amongst villains....could the next villain be a character other than a strict Batman Rogue?

The one major thing I didn't like about TDK was Batman reassuming the mantle of feared and hated outlaw. While it works within the context of the story, I inwardly groaned because of what it meant for part three. The good man/hero, misunderstood and falsely accused as a plot device has been used so often and in so many movie types and genres I am just not interested in seeing yet another version of a redemption story, with all the predictable character angst it entails.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bane done properly next time round. The Jokers wiping out of the mob would've left a power vacuum within the city which would've fitted in with Bane's early MO.

I am looking forward to seeing how they work with TDK's ending I did come out of the cinema fulfilled even on the second viewing.Just wish their was an IMAX near me

One more thing, There was a posting by Goyer saying that WB wants to focus on the crossovers like Marvel is doing with their upcoming films and Green Arrow: Escape from Supermax is doing this amongst villains....could the next villain be a character other than a strict Batman Rogue?

That would be hard to market imo. I don't read comics but I think it's safe to say you can experiment and take more risks with that media form than you can with big budget Hollywood films. I think it would be hard to sell a film involving an iconic character with a familiar set of villains and then to switch it up and throw in a crossover villain. Although personally I like the idea. I've always felt that Lex Luther would make a better Batman villain than Supes villain.

Back