Zoidberg Inspired Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datsmyboy

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was really inspired by Zoidberg's Batman Display Case. I was only planning

to buy a Frank Miller but after I saw Zoidberg's display case, I really want to copy it. So

I went out to buy some more b&w's and planned for the display case.

I recently got my display case which is a customize aquarium. I had it made in our local pet

shop. The dimension is 40" x 12" x 12". Now the hard part is next.. finding the right comic

pages to use for the background. The aquarium is a litlle bit taller than I anticipated. The

batman b&w pages fell a little bit short (about an inch) and I dont wanna put fillers for

the gap. So I'm thinking about printing the b&w pages to the right height.

DSC01503-1.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01507.jpg

I also got a light fixture which I will turn into a bat signal. I will also try to cover it

with comic pages so that it will blend into the background.

DSC01510-1.jpg

Im having trouble looking for a Andy Kubert b&w comic page. Any idea where I could get one?

Hopefully this goes well and will look somehow similar to Zoidberg's. :)

Thanks!

Very Cool Idea, IMO as far as your B&W Pic's you can always take a Color copy and zerox it into B&W and also try to make it come out in the right size you are trying for, Great Dark Knight Collection

very cool,please update us on your work,my fellow Norwegian made one hell of a good display,cant wait to see yours!:D

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Rock83 and Sniperspawn! :)

Here's an update of the display.

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01514.jpg

I put a fluorescent lamp behind the background and on top of the case. :D

DSC01515.jpg

Sorry about the pictures, Im only using a cellphone cam. :(

WOW!!!!:mexwave
Now, THAT'S a great B&W-display you've got going there, thatsmyboy!!!
I see you've customized the aquarium into a c-shape so you've got small back-alleys on both sides.
I also really like the riser with the appropriate city-scape motif. That's extremely cool!!:cool: Blends in perfectly with the stark angular drawings.
Might I suggest a light from below in the front to bring out the details and personalities of the figures and for added feeling of depth to the display? -With a relatively dimmer light on the background?
But as I write this I realise that's probably what the batlight's for?
Great idea about the batlight too!
It's going to be fun seeing how it turns out.:banana
Careful if it's halogen though, it may fade the pigments in the drawings and the figures. Or cause overheating if covered in glue and paper.:sick
Did you photocopy the drawings?
I see you also gave Miller centre stage.
Can't really get over how cool thar riser looks. I think that alone is going to get copied alot by poeple who don't wanna go all the way with a full display.
I've got 15 B&W's and two full display's now myself and I might buy more (if they actually make some interesting ones) and then I'm going for the modified aquarium idea of your's too.:banana

Five-stars, pal.

Last edited:
Nice (& original display). Replace the overhead light though, flourecent is ass & that display deserves better top lighting.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Rock83 and Sniperspawn! :)

Here's an update of the display.

Thats Kick@ss, Great Idea using the lamp

Thanks again sniperspawn:)

Nice (& original display). Replace the overhead light though, flourecent is ass & that display deserves better top lighting.

Yeah Im still looking for LED lights. The fluorescent lamp is way too bright and will noticeably increase our electric bill if kept on too long.:)

Never seen anything like that before. Very impressive. :cool:

Look for Zoidberg's display. Just copy this idea from him:)

Looks great so far.:)

Thanks carbo-fation, hopefully this will look good till the end.

Yeah!!! customized aquariums rule! Looking good!

Thanks slipknot! and much cheaper too!

WOW!!!!:mexwave
Now, THAT'S a great B&W-display you've got going there, thatsmyboy!!!
I see you've customized the aquarium into a c-shape so you've got small back-alleys on both sides.
I also really like the riser with the appropriate city-scape motif. That's extremely cool!!:cool: Blends in perfectly with the stark angular drawings.
Might I suggest a light from below in the front to bring out the details and personalities of the figures and for added feeling of depth to the display? -With a relatively dimmer light on the background?
But as I write this I realise that's probably what the batlight's for?
Great idea about the batlight too!
It's going to be fun seeing how it turns out.:banana
Careful if it's halogen though, it may fade the pigments in the drawings and the figures. Or cause overheating if covered in glue and paper.:sick
Did you photocopy the drawings?
I see you also gave Miller centre stage.
Can't really get over how cool thar riser looks. I think that alone is going to get copied alot by poeple who don't wanna go all the way with a full display.
I've got 15 B&W's and two full display's now myself and I might buy more (if they actually make some interesting ones) and then I'm going for the modified aquarium idea of your's too.:banana

Five-stars, pal.

Thanks Zoidberg! Just copied the back alleys and most of the design from your shelf man! :) It's a good thing I didn't ripped off my comics I found some scanned comic images in the net, printed it in 8.5"x13" size and glued it to the background. About the lights.. yeah, i really need to put some under them to show the beauty of the sculpt. I'm still looking for dioder lights or somewhat similar to it, but no luck so far.. will try again on the weekends. The spotlight has no real purpose though.. just an additional props. hehe. Ill still wire it, put a bat sign up front and and see what it looks like lit up! :)

You're gonna build another display case??!Man, Im sure it will again look awesome! Keep us updated! :)

Still experimenting with the lights..

1. with back and top lights turned on (stll dark at the sides)
DSC01518.jpg

2) with backlights turned off.
DSC01526.jpg

DSC01529.jpg

I really need to get some lights inside and facing the scuplts. I got to get me some of those dioders. :)

Thanks Zoidberg! Just copied the back alleys and most of the design from your shelf man! :) It's a good thing I didn't ripped off my comics I found some scanned comic images in the net, printed it in 8.5"x13" size and glued it to the background. About the lights.. yeah, i really need to put some under them to show the beauty of the sculpt. I'm still looking for dioder lights or somewhat similar to it, but no luck so far.. will try again on the weekends. The spotlight has no real purpose though.. just an additional props. hehe. Ill still wire it, put a bat sign up front and and see what it looks like lit up! :)

You're gonna build another display case??!Man, Im sure it will again look awesome! Keep us updated! :)

Great job dude, I think Zoidberg has started a new trend:joy

Still experimenting with the lights..

1. with back and top lights turned on (stll dark at the sides)
DSC01518.jpg

2) with backlights turned off.
DSC01526.jpg

DSC01529.jpg

I really need to get some lights inside and facing the scuplts. I got to get me some of those dioders. :)

Great so far, thatsmyboy!
You're thinking it through as you go along as I did too-.I like the backlight turned off version best but then you loose the light in the alleys so either you've got to buy some dioders like these:

https://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/70115564

-Or you could make a 1 or 1,5 inch wide mirror the lenght of your display, tape it down at an angle in the front of the case, so it reflects the toplight back up on the figures. So then the toplight of your case will suffice. Cheap and easy.
You could hide the mirror inside some cable-runners or such just like you would the dioder light.

Yeah, Ive been also thinking about using mirrors to reflect the light from above and hiding it behind the black strip. The problem is I dont know anyone around our area who cuts and sells mirrors and Im planning to remove the toplight. I guess the topllight will have to stay and the mirrors will have to do. Ill ask around for mirror cutters (don't know what they are callled. hehehe) this weekend! Thanks Zoidberg!

Yeah, Ive been also thinking about using mirrors to reflect the light from above and hiding it behind the black strip. The problem is I dont know anyone around our area who cuts and sells mirrors and Im planning to remove the toplight. I guess the topllight will have to stay and the mirrors will have to do. Ill ask around for mirror cutters (don't know what they are callled. hehehe) this weekend! Thanks Zoidberg!

Your display looks awesome as it is,thatsmyboy!! The camera makes the shadows darker, I know, so in reality the figures probably have enough light, especially with all the display lights on. The batlight's gonna rock too:cool:
-Found this article on IKEA resellers in the Phillipines:
https://donnacher.multiply.com/journal/item/172

Wow! Thanks for the link Zoidberg! i will look them up! The display really has enough light in it. :) I tried wiring the spotlight and it's way to bright and it get's too hot very fast. I guess I can't leave it open for too long. Ill ask for a lower wattage bulb if there's one.

Back