HDTV or Collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjk1000000

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, I FINALLY found a job and it's an awesome one! I'll be working at the local theatre, Regal Cinemas! Therefore, I'll have a constant flow of cash coming my way. My question is, should I save up and buy an HDTV or go ahead and pick up some of the collectibles that I've been dying to get ahold of? All input is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
CJK

That's a hard decision! I get a lot of use out of my HDTV. TV shows, movies, games, etc. If I were forced to choose one or the other, I would go for a nice TV. But that's a hard choice--I also like having my office filled with collectibles.

The good thing is that you will get some enjoyment out of either choice.

It depends on what you would bring you more enjoyment, hi-def or stuff sitting on a shelf. Can't see much more to it than that.

Things are probably different in my country, so I would go for a cheap cathode ray TV and set top box, and that wouldn't have much impact on my collectibles.

For me getting a HDTV was another addition to my collection.
Go for it you can never go wrong with a big a$$ tely.

I would look for a deal on a nice HDTV first, they don't cost as much as they did when they first came out. I got my 19 inch about 2 years ago for about $300 which was originally used for my computer. Since you're going to have a constant cash flow you probably wont miss out on the collectibles.

I would look for a deal on a nice HDTV first, they don't cost as much as they did when they first came out. I got my 19 inch about 2 years ago for about $300 which was originally used for my computer. Since you're going to have a constant cash flow you probably wont miss out on the collectibles.

Yeah, but I'm ENTIRELY too picky! I've always been the last person to get the new BIG THING and I've always had the crappiest TV in the house. So, now that I can afford it, I'm going BIG. I was looking at a 52" Mitsubishi 1080p and a 50" Samsung 1080p at Best Buy!
I just don't want to miss out on some of the oppurtinities that will slide by while I'm saving for the TV. Like, I'm looking for a HT Joker preorder and a Classic Leatherface. Also, I can just feel it inside that Hot Toys will be taking preorders for Major Dutch and Iron Man REALLY soon!

-CJK

My wifes cousin has a Sony not sure what size or model. But that was the nicest and clearest in all angles I ever saw. I think he said it cost around $2k-$3k.

I just don't want to miss out on some of the oppurtinities that will slide by while I'm saving for the TV. Like, I'm looking for a HT Joker preorder and a Classic Leatherface. Also, I can just feel it inside that Hot Toys will be taking preorders for Major Dutch and Iron Man REALLY soon!

-CJK
TV's of various sizes and prices will always be around. I'd keep your first few pays to cover what you think will be coming soon, and you'll need money for. Save the rest till you can pay cash for your TV. The worst thing you can possibly do, now, you have a job, is fall into debt. It's the pits. Don't go there.

TV's of various sizes and prices will always be around. I'd keep your first few pays to cover what you think will be coming soon, and you'll need money for. Save the rest till you can pay cash for your TV. The worst thing you can possibly do, now, you have a job, is fall into debt. It's the pits. Don't go there.

You kinda lost me there. I live with my Mom, so all I really have to pay for is gas, in which my car is amazing on, and.....well.....whatever I want! So, it's either collectibles or holding back for the TV. What I might do, is work on my 1/6 Scale Collection, so I don't have to spend my WHOLE check and put the rest back each week for the TV. Because it's gonna take at least two months of saving to get the HD that I want!

-CJK

Sorry if I didn't make sense. To put it plainly, save your money for the collectibles you want now and purchase the TV later.

Just thought about it. TV's only go DOWN in price, while collectibles only go UP (unless, of course, it came out of a Hostel film). I'll probably just go for collectible with the first several paychecks and worry about the HD a little later on. Maybe near the TDK DVD release!

-CJK

I don't know....

HDTVs are a nice addition to one's life. I think I would buy the T.V. now. T.V.s do go down in price but when you want your T.V. you will not want the T.V. that has dropped in price... you will want the newest, coolest, and most expensive.

I'd say buy whatever collectibles you want now and start getting a move on saving for an HDTV around the holidays. You'll see some great sales for sure in the month before Christmas, as well as after when stores start clearancing out older models for the new. Last year, I scored a 42" Zenith Plasma HDTV for $550 just a week prior to Black Friday and saw alot of great deals for other HDTV's around that timeframe.

Just play it smart with your money and pace yourself when purchasing collectibles. You are lucky right now living at home where you have a better chance to save for whatever you need. By years end, hopefully you'll have enough to get everything you need in terms of both collectibles and a HDTV.

I say buy both - Buy your collectibles and then charge you HDTV at Bestbuy - that way your building credit as well - just make sure you make your monthly payments on time and when you have a slow collectibles month you can add more on your TV.

I say buy both - Buy your collectibles and then charge you HDTV at Bestbuy - that way your building credit as well - just make sure you make your monthly payments on time and when you have a slow collectibles month you can add more on your TV.

BE CAREFUL!!!! A lot of people CAN get them selves introuble this way. One little screw up and you will have a lot of un-needed stress in your life.

BE CAREFUL!!!! A lot of people CAN get them selves introuble this way. One little screw up and you will have a lot of un-needed stress in your life.

Yeah, I'm not doing that! I'm gonna pay in full. All of your input is really helpful guys! Still unsure of what to do though.

-CJK

Back