Keanu Reeves as Plastic Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
I was never a big Plastic Man fan, but this sounds interesting.

A reader by the name of Ballack writes in from Berlin saying that Joel Silver was on German radio recently talking about Ninja Assassin, the James McTeigue-directed, Wachowski-produced martial arts movie. Ballack claims that Silver also spilled the beans on what the Wachowskis would be directing to follow-up Speed Racer - Plastic Man.

You’ll remember that a pre-Matrix Bros W wrote a Plastic Man script, which Ballack claims Silver said would be the basis for this new film. Our scooper also reports that Silver said they want the movie to have a global release at the end of 2009.

And if that’s not a big enough story, Ballack further claims that Silver says that Keanu Reeves will be playing Eels O’Brien (the real name of Plastic Man). Apparently this is the start of a new love period between Reeves and the Wachowskis, as Silver said that the brothers want to work with him on all their future projects. (Reprinted from CHUD.com)

https://larryfire.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/keanu-reeves-as-plastic-man/

as a kid, i always thought plastic man and mr. fantastic were the same person. :huh

Horrible casting. Plastic Man is supposed to be tongue in cheek and funny. Keanu ain't funny. Should be interesting to see what the Wachowskis change the costuming to....looking at Speed and Racer X it'll be primarily leather.....probably a ball gag involved somewhere.

Sure the character can carry a movie, but can Keanu as that character? If there was ever a superhero role made for Jim Carrey...

So he did The Mask - it's time to revisit the funny pages Mr. Carrey.

Terrible choice. A bit of nepotism on part of Silver and the Wachowskis.
Jim Carry is the only known actor for the job.

Moriarty’s BUZZKILL! Where Dumb Rumors Go To Die! BATMAN 3! Britney And Quentin! PLASTIC MAN!

The PLASTIC MAN rumors that got started a few weeks ago are stranger, but no less credible. I remember getting the same e-mail that Devin Faraci at CHUD must have gotten, an e-mail saying that Joel Silver had just appeared on a German radio show and laid out all the details for the new Wachowski Bros. film, PLASTIC MAN.

Uhhhh... no.

I didn’t run it because I didn’t believe it. But Devin ran it a day or two later, and so I decided to dig a little. I asked around at Warner and at Silver Pictures, and they confirmed what seemed evident to me from the initial story.

Joel Silver didn’t do the German radio show. He didn’t give that interview. He didn’t spill the details on PLASTIC MAN because... wait for it... nothing’s happening with PLASTIC MAN.

Yes, there’s that old Wachowskis draft still bopping around the internet. I’m sure you can read it if you really want to. But the Wachowskis haven’t decided what to do next. They haven’t cast Keanu Reeves in the lead role, and they certainly haven’t told Joel Silver to tell the press, “After SPEED RACER, we’ve decided to only work with Keanu for the rest of our lives.”

I mean, really. Does that even sound like the way that sort of information would be released? These days, studio announcements are carefully orchestrated, timed for global impact. Stills, posters, major casting announcements... these are things that people calculate carefully. Joel Silver’s not going to go on some morning show in Germany and just say, “Oh, yeah, by the way...”

I’ve run plenty of preposterous rumors myself over the years, sometimes because I was bored and thought they were entertaining, sometimes because they felt like they might have some truth to them, and sometimes just because I wanted to see what the response was as a hypothetical. Sometimes, it turns out to be as ridiculous as “Christopher Walken is Darth Bane,” and sometimes, it turns out to be as interesting as “John Connor is a Terminator.”

With these three rumors, can we just put a bullet in them and call them finished, though? Because they don’t deserve any further life, and I certainly hope people don’t start quoting them as fact. That happens sometimes, and it’s amazing how much something can become set in stone, even if it’s total fiction.

Matrix and V for Vendetta and that is pretty much it.

I would have liked to see them do Superman though.

Back