Sideshow Boxes: Keep or Toss?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VOTR_Ed

Freaked Out
Reaction score
My Fellow Freaks,
I am pairing all my stuff down for an impending international move, and I have to deal with this serious issue.

The Sideshow Boxes.

They are beautiful and high end, but they demand a lot of space. Dolls I can stack up like cordwood, but these boxes are killing me.

1. Not that I'm getting rid of my SSC's, but does the box make a difference if it's already opened?

2. Is there a market for empty SSC Boxes for collectors who bought them loose?

Help a brother! :confused:

If you are moving to another country, I bet the cost of shifting those boxes might be more than what you could gain from reselling a boxed up loose figure. You have to balance that out, man. Just how many of such boxes do you have?

I never throw away any of my SSC boxes. They would actually come in handy when you need to protect some of the more fragile stuff when transporting.

Jabba's throne would be a good example.

I just took ALL of my boxes down into my storage area in the basement... Next step would be throwing them out--but that's a last resort.

UGH! I feel your pain! They do pile up, but DAMMIT...I say keep èm, unless the last resort situation happens.....

At the very least, keep the main (product) box and throw out the shipping box. That wouldn't save much space, but it would cut down on weight. If you're a figure collector, you could even throw out the plastic trays and fold up the boxes to take up even less space.

I would definately NOT throw them out. If nothing else, try to sell them on here for cheap or give them away at buyers cost to ship.

If you must save on space, I suppose you could cut the tape and break the boxes down by folding them flat (not folding the actual box, just the edges). Hopefully the plastic trays could be stacked some. If you're talking about a styrofoam used for statues, it's safest to just move them in the boxes.

Definitely keep them. Or at least sell them to fellow collectors that may need/want to replace a damaged box if yours are in better condition. Like my Ventress box, it is crushed and SS was no help in replacing it.

Keep them...You'll regret it later like I did with my Sideshow/Weta Muppet Busts. I didn't have enough room to store them because I was living in a 1 bedroom apartment and really had no place to put them. So I threw them away figuring, I spent $25 per bust and wasn't thinking there would be a market for them.

I was wrong and everytime I think I should sell them (and make room for something else), I think I'm going to take a less less than what I normally would with those boxes. Plus, transportation also plays an major issue. How can I ship these when they are already fragile as it is. It sets me up to potentially get screwed if any of them get damaged during delivery.

Yeah keep them.

I only kept the box of the Yoda bust (because I like one picture on it :D ) and the box of my HT Brown Alien. Which I intend to sell soon.

I wish I kept them all.

If at all possible, don't get rid off the boxes unless you don't care about value retention on your pieces. If you never plan to sell, then toss them or even offer them for sale. You might be surprised.

depends on what the box is for, 1/6 box you can probably toss, PF you probably want to keep since they are good for protecting the item during transport. And yeah, its a pain in the arse to keep the boxes. I could probably triple my collection if I didn't keep them.:D

With the exception of my SW and Dead boxes, I've thrown out all my SSC boxes. They're great boxes, but I'm not selling my figures, so I don't need the clutter.

I'll keep boxes for exclusive figure and for ones in which the item is fragile and needs the box to protect it during a move. Aside from that I'll typically toss the packaging. Having the box with an opened figure doesn't always add much to the value if reselling.

Back